PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Train strike on Shaw Lane away match day
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Train strike on Shaw Lane away match day  (Read 5924 times)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: February 15, 2018, 10:17:11 PM »

Anyone going to this match should be aware that the RMT have announced another strike which will affect Northern Rail services.
You can get to Sheffield or Huddersfield without a problem, as they are run by other companies, but this could affect services on to Barnsley. Northern say they will run as many services as possible, but it's unclear what this will mean nor how many managers will be prepared to work on a Saturday (if they have a choice!). There is also a bus route from Sheffield to Barnsley.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Train strike on Shaw Lane away match day
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 10:30:16 PM »

I blame Neil Young
Full time and proud of it

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 10:43:10 PM »

A fair point well made. He did work for Merseyrail and they are on strike too.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:00:40 AM »

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 06:32:59 AM »

Any TPE or east mids service from Manchester or Stockport to Sheffield then the number 2 bus from sheff to Barnsley. Or any TPE service to donny and then the X19 or 219 to Barnsley

andrewflynn

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 07:56:59 AM »

FFS.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 08:39:24 AM »

Taxi from Sheffield at 2pm, we’ll be taking several hundred so there will be plenty of sharing options and little need to drink in Barnsley when the riches of Sheffield are on hand and shaw lane AQUAFORCE play on a council estate outside of Barnsley town centre anyway. And northern may yet run a skellington service or the strike may be called off.

andrewflynn

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 08:40:34 AM »

Taxi from Sheffield at 2pm, we’ll be taking several hundred so there will be plenty of sharing options and little need to drink in Barnsley when the riches of Sheffield are on hand and shaw lane AQUAFORCE play on a council estate outside of Barnsley town centre anyway. And northern may yet run a skellington service or the strike may be called off.

Keep me in the loop please (no CCTV required.)

roytonmike

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 09:26:49 AM »

Any TPE or east mids service from Manchester or Stockport to Sheffield then the number 2 bus from sheff to Barnsley. Or any TPE service to donny and then the X19 or 219 to Barnsley
According to the SYPTE website, bus 2 from Sheffield takes just over an hour to get to Barnsley (e.g. 1241 arrives 1343) then bus 11 from Barnsley takes you to the ground (e.g. 1348 arrives 1404). Best bus route back would be via Meadowhall (bus 11 from stop near ground 1704, X65 from Barnsley 1735 arrives 1805, then a range of buses or the tram into central Sheffield). I believe there's a daysaver ticket for £6.60 covering bus & tram. 

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 12:39:29 PM »

According to the SYPTE website, bus 2 from Sheffield takes just over an hour to get to Barnsley (e.g. 1241 arrives 1343) then bus 11 from Barnsley takes you to the ground (e.g. 1348 arrives 1404). Best bus route back would be via Meadowhall (bus 11 from stop near ground 1704, X65 from Barnsley 1735 arrives 1805, then a range of buses or the tram into central Sheffield). I believe there's a daysaver ticket for £6.60 covering bus & tram. 

Cheers mike, seems plenty of options, hopefully the strike will be stood down anyway

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »

[/b]
Or £4.00 with Sheffield Plusbus (even with less with a railcard) which does include Sheffield Supertram and extends beyond Barnsley.

http://www.plusbus.info/sheffield

andrewflynn

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 12:49:14 PM »

Any excuse to go for a pint in Sheffield, to be fair.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »

Why not book on the coach, if there is enough interest, it may justify two coaches. There is much good banter on the coaches, plenty of chat about the club and it's players. It is direct there and back and you still get chance for a drink before the game. I can sink 3 pints from getting off the coach to the start of the match. Possibly more if I drank a little faster.

OK I know some of you aren't that local, but it is ideal for those who live in the Sale/Altrincham area. I understand for those who have to use the train and hope the strike is called off for that date; we need you all there!!

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 04:18:40 PM »

Any excuse to go for a pint in Sheffield, to be fair.
God bless the Sheffield Tap. And Kelham Island Brewery.

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 04:32:00 PM »

I know it’s an early shout, and I’ll post this again nearer game time, but I’ll have 2 spare seats in my car leaving from Timperley. Very reasonable car share prices  :)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team