News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 where did you end up ?

Author Topic: where did you end up ?  (Read 4484 times)

thegazelle

where did you end up ?
« on: March 02, 2018, 07:53:55 PM »

all these postponements has led me to recall some trips where we ended up at other games .

I recall Bangor Off and a very funnty day watching Rhyl v Macc
Morecambe either off or we couldnt get there because of M6 gridlock , i ended up not getting in at Wigan v Stoke . The day it kicked off all over the place and the joker got on radio 5 and claimed it all started when the match announcer asked for a minutes Violence for Stanley Mathews.

there must have been others but off hand i cant recall

class please discuss what bizarre games you ended up at

bighairedmike

Re: where did you end up ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 08:48:25 PM »

all these postponements has led me to recall some trips where we ended up at other games .

I recall Bangor Off and a very funnty day watching Rhyl v Macc
Morecambe either off or we couldnt get there because of M6 gridlock , i ended up not getting in at Wigan v Stoke . The day it kicked off all over the place and the joker got on radio 5 and claimed it all started when the match announcer asked for a minutes Violence for Stanley Mathews.

there must have been others but off hand i cant recall

class please discuss what bizarre games you ended up at

We had a game up at Blyth in December 2011 that was postponed due to the adverse weather. We’d been out for the weekend in Newcastle as it was one of the lads 21st birthdays and we looked high and low for a game to go to. Spenneymoor and Bishop auckland were postponed too, Gateshead were away so we ended up going to watch Hebburn Town V West Allotment Celtic in a game that was played on a pitch like granite. We got the metro with a mad West Allotment fan, a lady in her 50s who followed hem everywhere. The game finished 3-1 to Hebburn, and we got some very, very cheap beer in the clubhouse. It was minus 3 but well worth the £3 entry.

We also ended up going to Crewe V Rochdale at Gresty Road one Boxing Day because one of our games was called off. I think it was the year Rochdale stormed the league. Think they took about 2000 to Crewe that Boxing Day. It finished a 2-2 draw.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:10:02 PM by George Heslops Moustache »

roytonmike

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 09:26:47 PM »

I recall the Rhyl v Macc game - the coach got there in time for the second half if I remember rightly.
I also remember going up to Scarborough by car one very wet Saturday to find the game called off & ending up at Whitby v Guiseley - my first visit to that ground, a mudbath pitch that wouldn't have been passed fit nowadays. Whitby won 3-1.
Going way back we went to Rossendale for a 1st Round Cup-tie; it was called off & the coach driver wouldn't take us to Bury v Bolton - said he had to go back to the depot if our game was postponed.
Days long ago ...

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 11:12:30 PM »

We should have been at Droylsden one  Boxing Day, but when it was off Snork Maiden and I went to Bower Fold where we saw Stalybridge rip Hyde apart 6-0.

We were agreed that Stalybridge's no.11 was a bit special, and that he'd be a real asset at Moss Lane (he scored two, and made three others).

That man was Colin Potts.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 08:42:21 AM »

I remember going to Bangor City when Tony Sanders was manager and the game being called off. We saw Tony in the social club. He bitterly said the game was called off because the ref got his feet wet!

We stopped at Bangor City to watch their game, but I cannot remember the opponents being Macc Town.

I do remember one of our fans setting off a fire extinguisher though.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 03:47:27 PM »

Not quite the same but towards the fag end of last season, some of London Alty binned off a long trip north for yet another defeat & we just picked a random Ryman league game instead, Faversham Town it was. Great day out, fast train from St Pancras, couple of new micro pubs and a trad Shepherd Neame place for lunch then onto the game where you could happily watch the action from the bar. Perfect. Goes to show how important getting back into a proper league next season & having new ownership is for the club, easy to lose the habit.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 04:29:12 PM »

For the first Birmingham game we took a 15 seat minibus up from London, on arrival in Brum we found out it had been called off so we ended up watching Coventry v Watford in a blizzard - we were with the away fans and they didn’t know what to make of us at all

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »

One of our last stints in the Conference National we were due to play Mansfield away and as one of my wife's friends lived in Lincolnshire, we booked flights over and stayed with them. The game was called off on the Saturday morning and my wife's friend's husband seemed obsessed with finding me a game to watch, even though I'd told him it didn't matter. Drove to Notts County to find the game off and then on to SC**thorpe to find their game had been called off very late. Had a drink in their club bar with some of their fans who were most bemused by me (than again maybe that's just me and nothing to do with my predicament).

I nearly booked flights over for today's game...glad I didn't.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 10:00:59 PM »

We travelled today as we had advance tickets which were not refundable. Cracking day on the beers around Kelham Island in Sheffield. Well worth the trip. Great beers and really friendly people.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

andrewflynn

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 11:52:38 PM »

We travelled today as we had advance tickets which were not refundable. Cracking day on the beers around Kelham Island in Sheffield. Well worth the trip. Great beers and really friendly people.

Great place to drink. Glad you had a good one SW.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 where did you end up ?