PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stay away fans and atmosphere
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Stay away fans and atmosphere  (Read 30869 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Stay away fans and atmosphere
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2018, 07:31:22 AM »

Anybody who doesn't believe we are a club with the potential to be in the Football League is scared or mislead by the current leaders
It's all my fault.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2018, 07:38:36 AM »

As Fleetwood have shown, any club has the potential to be in the football league with a huge influx of investment. I believe that our natural place is somewhere in the Northern league. Right now, my personal aspiration is an investment similar to the one Southport have received, one which gives them a realistic crack at the Northern league next season.

andrewflynn

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2018, 07:56:54 AM »

It’s ludicrous how quickly people have forgotten that we had our National League fate in our own hands in 15/16. Appointing someone to give us a chance of survival rather than sticking with Neil Tolson was the first in a long line of disastrous choices. If we acted properly after Sinnotgate we could very easily have avoided the drop in my view.

With that said, why is there this acceptance that we are a National League North club and anything more is punching above our weight? If you don’t expect Altrincham to be in the National League, and strive for this club to be in the Football League, then you probably deserve to be watching Northern Premier League Football this season.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »

It really does depend on what your aspirations are Matt. Ultimately you are looking at winning the Premiership. I'll be long gone before then. I'm not interested in watching a bunch of players trying to con a referee. I'm much happier watching honest endeavour in non-league football  trying to win a match.

I do go and watch professional football from time to time and find myself laughing at the players antics. I think I am embarrased for them.

I don't want us to win the Premiership. What I do want is for this club to aim for the highest level possible with the resources available. Surely thats what competitive sport is about; dont forget we are an organisation with numerous paid employees and we turn over half a million quid a year. This isnt some plucky corinthian outfit.

I want to see drive, a willingness to embrace change and accept new blood, modern thinking, the fans put first. And its possible to have all that whilst doing the community stuff and balancing the books.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2018, 08:48:02 AM »

Fleetwood might be an extreme success story, but even the likes of Crawley show that you can push up a level and sustain it after most of the investment dries up. Their average gate is bang on 2,000.

One thing worth noting about Southport is that they poached that CEO from Curzon Ashton, Natalie Atkinson (who seems to have had a big part in their punching above their own weight).

We need more 'impartial' figures at the club, more business people, on a day-to-day basis.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2018, 09:00:49 AM »

It really does depend on what your aspirations are Matt. Ultimately you are looking at winning the Premiership. I'll be long gone before then. I'm not interested in watching a bunch of players trying to con a referee. I'm much happier watching honest endeavour in non-league football  trying to win a match.

I do go and watch professional football from time to time and find myself laughing at the players antics. I think I am embarrased for them.

I think you are clouding the issue slightly by taking it to extremes. I don’t want us to be Manchester City. I do want us to be Sutton United, Borehamwood, Dover, Flyde, Ebbsfleet, Bromley, Gateshead, Maidenhead, Eastleigh...etc etc.

But the reality is that we are not going to achieve that by continuing to run the club like a fiefdom, while trying to compete on raffle tickets and fundraisers. Nor by appointing board members based on who folds away the most tables in the community hall.

Just because you (and plenty of others) have ‘seen it all’ in your younger days and mentally retired from wanting success, it doesn’t mean we should drain all ambition out of the football club for the next generation.

Atticus

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2018, 09:22:28 AM »

I suspect the reason that the availability of the shares is not being widely advertised is because carrying on any financial promotion (which would include the offer of shares ) is a highly regulated activity. The legislation for example precludes a limited company offering shares to the public, and any financial promotion must be authorised by a regulated entity or only directed at certain types of investor who fall into specific categories.

It’s very expensive to make sure you get it right and potentially a criminal offence if you get it wrong.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2018, 10:13:01 AM »

Thanks for explaining but personally I don't get it. My interest massively dipped over the previous two seasons, but this team and manager deserve the support.

They are a team of fighters and are giving their all each game.

I know this may sound completely random but if you compare the club to a friendship. Would you give up on your mate, being the son, if his dad made some bad decisions?

It is very sad to see only 500 supporters in the ground when we are playing some of the best football in years.

I respect your personal decision and I agree that some awful decisions have been made but I just can't give up on a team that actually deserves the support. The love and care just can't go away.

Graham Rowley should go but only when we have the correct investors/board, who have a genuine interest of progressing our football team. At present there is no interest from anyone.

At the end of the game I am only clapping the players and current manager.

How would we know? The available shares never get a mention, let alone pushed.

You’d be amazed what happens when you actually tell the outside world where there is a vacancy, rather than relying on your own limited existing relationships (the appointment of Phil Parkinson being a good example). Not advertising to the outside world lands you with Neil Tolson or Matt Doughty as manager instead, or Grahame Rowley as chairman, (and Neil Young to some extent as the managers job wasn’t advertised then either).
We appear determined to apply that same logic in the boardroom unfortunately.

I’m not suggesting people would suddenly be queuing up outside Moss Lane to buy the shares, and take over, if we advertised the shares. However, having created a great opportunity for someone new to come in with fresh ideas, to then remain silent and not give ourselves every possible chance of moving forward as a football club is negligent. Both by the board, and by those happy to stand back and let them carry on - by that I mean the larger shareholders at the club, rather than the supporters who do still turn up each week to get behind the team (in spite of the off-field issues).
And still no one has ever really answered the question of why we think we can sell the club in secret? Or why we aren’t shouting from the rooftops at every opportunity? Or what exactly are the Sports Business doing? And, more importantly, why haven’t the Sports Business been binned yet, rather than given new contracts on the commercial side?

I'm sure everyone who no longer goes to home games is different, but to me it’s not just an immediate change in chairman that would bring me back to home games. I’d be prepared to turn up and pay my entrance fee if I could see any sort of public/sustained effort being made to sell the shares, and get new people into the club to replace the deadwood on the board. I.e. if we could see light at the end of the tunnel for the club.

But, unfortunately, it’s abundantly clear that moving the football club forward and reuniting the fan base aren’t the main priorities here.

I agree with you. More needs to be done to advertise those shares, that front has been been very quiet.

Jezza

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2018, 10:15:17 AM »

I do want us to be Sutton United, Borehamwood, Dover, Flyde, Ebbsfleet, Bromley, Gateshead, Maidenhead, Eastleigh

I'd guess we will be playing in leagues above at least half those teams in 5 years time even without investment in alty....

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2018, 10:22:43 AM »

Alty fans I know personally who no longer go to games generally became disenchanted with two seasons of dire results and performances and are staying away because of that, rather than the board etc.

Watching football is very much a habit driven activity - I know, I've been there myself. As a supporter of 40 years plus, for the first 30 years attendance was a no brainer whether it was a top of league game or a Cheshire Senior Cup match on a cold wet windy Tuesday night - I'd be there regardless. Then the habit was broken - family came along and suddenly my priorities changed. Once that CSC game is missed its suddenly not a big step to not bother with an unattractive Saturday game. And so the attendance spiral continues. My attendance was at best sporadic between 2006 and 2016 -I still followed the team, listened to Radio Robins when it started etc  but hardly went to a match. My point is that, regardless of why they are staying away, it will be difficult to get those supporters back in the habit of going to Moss Lane - other things will have taking their time and interest. Its not a criticism, its just how it is. This season I have been to as many games as I can, the current side has been very entertaining and I've got the bug again. I just hope others can return soon and have their enthusiasm for the club reawakened.

Paul

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2018, 11:23:47 AM »

I think you are clouding the issue slightly by taking it to extremes. I don’t want us to be Manchester City. I do want us to be Sutton United, Borehamwood, Dover, Flyde, Ebbsfleet, Bromley, Gateshead, Maidenhead, Eastleigh...etc etc.

But the reality is that we are not going to achieve that by continuing to run the club like a fiefdom, while trying to compete on raffle tickets and fundraisers. Nor by appointing board members based on who folds away the most tables in the community hall.

Just because you (and plenty of others) have ‘seen it all’ in your younger days and mentally retired from wanting success, it doesn’t mean we should drain all ambition out of the football club for the next generation.

For context, my local club York City, remained full time having suffered two successive relegations. Currently in the CN play off positions their annual operating budget is c£1m, roughly twice that of ours and like Harrogate rely on their chairman to act as benefactor to make up a significant shortfall. In York's case this is c£250k pa, Harrogate's is much, much larger. I think we can ignore Salford. For us to progress into the Conference National we need to be looking at doubling our income. How this can / could be achieved needs to be explored exhaustively and with an open mind. This is the Board's principle job as far as I'm concerned. Having been at Bromley, Maidenhead and Sutton United all of whom are good models of community clubs, no-one can tell me we shouldn't be targeting a return to the league they currently play in. 

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »

Alty fans I know personally who no longer go to games generally became disenchanted with two seasons of dire results and performances and are staying away because of that, rather than the board etc.

Watching football is very much a habit driven activity - I know, I've been there myself. As a supporter of 40 years plus, for the first 30 years attendance was a no brainer whether it was a top of league game or a Cheshire Senior Cup match on a cold wet windy Tuesday night - I'd be there regardless. Then the habit was broken - family came along and suddenly my priorities changed. Once that CSC game is missed its suddenly not a big step to not bother with an unattractive Saturday game. And so the attendance spiral continues. My attendance was at best sporadic between 2006 and 2016 -I still followed the team, listened to Radio Robins when it started etc  but hardly went to a match. My point is that, regardless of why they are staying away, it will be difficult to get those supporters back in the habit of going to Moss Lane - other things will have taking their time and interest. Its not a criticism, its just how it is. This season I have been to as many games as I can, the current side has been very entertaining and I've got the bug again. I just hope others can return soon and have their enthusiasm for the club reawakened.

Paul

A good post.

roytonmike

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2018, 12:16:46 PM »

This is the main point as far as I for one am concerned. I don't think anyone is looking at the Premiership (!), by the way, but for a number of people - certainly a number of those with whom I associate, who tend to be non-shouters by instinct - one of the major attractions of Alty FC is precisely that it isn't and doesn't aspire to be full-time or Football League. Take my own case - if I wanted to watch full-time Football League I could walk to a League One ground from where I live in less than 20 minutes and there are three more within easy reach. If I wanted ersatz Football League I'm a 15/20 minute bus ride away from FCUM; if I wanted Premiership the Wastelands are a bus ride and a short walk away. I don't wish to watch either. Quite apart from the local link through family and almost 50 years attendance at Moss Lane, what I want to watch are real people (rather than over-hyped, over-paid & under-talented 'superstars') giving 100% in an effort to win a match; where I want to watch from is pitch-side rather than at a distance; and I want the freedom to stand where I wish & with whom I wish. All of these Alty FC has given me and will, I hope, continue to do so. If we had got into the League in 1980 or 1991 I suspect "suck it & see" for a season would have been my rather reluctant approach, but that situation is unlikely to recur.
Alty's natural home at the moment is probably the Conference North, although it is perfectly reasonable & realistic to aim for a place in the National division. The down-side of that for me is the degree of restriction it places on spectators and the 'tribal' element that gets more pronounced the higher up the ladder you go. Don't get me wrong - I'm quite prepared to be 'tribal' when we play Macc or Vics - that's called local rivalry & might even extend to Stockport, but in the main I & many of those with whom I associate go to games to watch both sides, enjoy each other's company & be entertained rather than indulge in histrionics.
Let's hope the present management can get us back into the division in which I believe we belong, & take it from there as & when it happens.  

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2018, 12:54:00 PM »

I do want us to be Sutton United, Borehamwood, Dover, Flyde, Ebbsfleet, Bromley, Gateshead, Maidenhead, Eastleigh

I'd guess we will be playing in leagues above at least half those teams in 5 years time even without investment in alty....

I'd bet money we aren't a level above atleast six of those teams in 5 years.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »

This is the main point as far as I for one am concerned. I don't think anyone is looking at the Premiership (!), by the way, but for a number of people - certainly a number of those with whom I associate, who tend to be non-shouters by instinct - one of the major attractions of Alty FC is precisely that it isn't and doesn't aspire to be full-time or Football League. Take my own case - if I wanted to watch full-time Football League I could walk to a League One ground from where I live in less than 20 minutes and there are three more within easy reach. If I wanted ersatz Football League I'm a 15/20 minute bus ride away from FCUM; if I wanted Premiership the Wastelands are a bus ride and a short walk away. I don't wish to watch either. Quite apart from the local link through family and almost 50 years attendance at Moss Lane, what I want to watch are real people (rather than over-hyped, over-paid & under-talented 'superstars') giving 100% in an effort to win a match; where I want to watch from is pitch-side rather than at a distance; and I want the freedom to stand where I wish & with whom I wish. All of these Alty FC has given me and will, I hope, continue to do so. If we had got into the League in 1980 or 1991 I suspect "suck it & see" for a season would have been my rather reluctant approach, but that situation is unlikely to recur.
Alty's natural home at the moment is probably the Conference North, although it is perfectly reasonable & realistic to aim for a place in the National division. The down-side of that for me is the degree of restriction it places on spectators and the 'tribal' element that gets more pronounced the higher up the ladder you go. Don't get me wrong - I'm quite prepared to be 'tribal' when we play Macc or Vics - that's called local rivalry & might even extend to Stockport, but in the main I & many of those with whom I associate go to games to watch both sides, enjoy each other's company & be entertained rather than indulge in histrionics.
Let's hope the present management can get us back into the division in which I believe we belong, & take it from there as & when it happens.  

I think for me and many others this is missing the point. I was also there through the 'glory years' when we won the league 2 years in succession and only missed out on league football because turkeys don't vote for Xmas. I was absolutely gutted.

The point is 'your team is your team' so the analogy of walking down the road to watch another team at a higher level just doesn't wash with me. I watch League of Ireland football over here and although I just like watching live football I can never get as enthused by another team in the same way I can by Alty.

The comment by the grinning cat about Premiership football is ridiculous beyond belief,  but at the same time what is the point in supporting a team if there is no ambition to progress further? Are you saying that stagnation is the ideal? Find a level, whether that be Conference North or National level and just happily stay there for evermore? If that happens whilst still striving then fair enough, but where is the incentive for players or managers if there is no plan or hope for progression?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stay away fans and atmosphere