PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stay away fans and atmosphere
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Stay away fans and atmosphere  (Read 30861 times)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Stay away fans and atmosphere
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2018, 01:24:13 PM »

This has turned into a very healthy thread. For me, we will be doing well if we are in the conference and OK if we are in the conference north.

I know we could have been in the football league if the voting had gone right in the seventies but these days 80% of the premier league and 20% of the championship is made up of foreign imports. By my reckoning the majority of the home grown players have all been pushed down a division so if we can get back to the conference we would be watching what previously would have been division 4 anyway.

A bit of a stretch I know but you can see where I'm coming from.

A serious and hopefully non-inflammatory question for those who want change? Who are you expecting to do due diligence on any new majority shareholder? Are we going to hand over the reigns to the first individual who turns up with a barrow load of cash? Presumably not so who will make the decision?

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2018, 01:32:11 PM »

It really does depend on what your aspirations are Matt. Ultimately you are looking at winning the Premiership. I'll be long gone before then. I'm not interested in watching a bunch of players trying to con a referee. I'm much happier watching honest endeavour in non-league football  trying to win a match.
I do go and watch professional football from time to time and find myself laughing at the players antics. I think I am embarrased for them.
This is the main point as far as I for one am concerned. I don't think anyone is looking at the Premiership (!), by the way, but for a number of people - certainly a number of those with whom I associate, who tend to be non-shouters by instinct - one of the major attractions of Alty FC is precisely that it isn't and doesn't aspire to be full-time or Football League. Take my own case - if I wanted to watch full-time Football League I could walk to a League One ground from where I live in less than 20 minutes and there are three more within easy reach. If I wanted ersatz Football League I'm a 15/20 minute bus ride away from FCUM; if I wanted Premiership the Wastelands are a bus ride and a short walk away. I don't wish to watch either. Quite apart from the local link through family and almost 50 years attendance at Moss Lane, what I want to watch are real people (rather than over-hyped, over-paid & under-talented 'superstars') giving 100% in an effort to win a match; where I want to watch from is pitch-side rather than at a distance; and I want the freedom to stand where I wish & with whom I wish. All of these Alty FC has given me and will, I hope, continue to do so. If we had got into the League in 1980 or 1991 I suspect "suck it & see" for a season would have been my rather reluctant approach, but that situation is unlikely to recur.
Alty's natural home at the moment is probably the Conference North, although it is perfectly reasonable & realistic to aim for a place in the National division. The down-side of that for me is the degree of restriction it places on spectators and the 'tribal' element that gets more pronounced the higher up the ladder you go. Don't get me wrong - I'm quite prepared to be 'tribal' when we play Macc or Vics - that's called local rivalry & might even extend to Stockport, but in the main I & many of those with whom I associate go to games to watch both sides, enjoy each other's company & be entertained rather than indulge in histrionics.
Let's hope the present management can get us back into the division in which I believe we belong, & take it from there as & when it happens.  

I think for me and many others this is missing the point. I was also there through the 'glory years' when we won the league 2 years in succession and only missed out on league football because turkeys don't vote for Xmas. I was absolutely gutted.

The point is 'your team is your team' so the analogy of walking down the road to watch another team at a higher level just doesn't wash with me. I watch League of Ireland football over here and although I just like watching live football I can never get as enthused by another team in the same way I can by Alty.

The comment by the grinning cat about Premiership football is ridiculous beyond belief,  but at the same time what is the point in supporting a team if there is no ambition to progress further? Are you saying that stagnation is the ideal? Find a level, whether that be Conference North or National level and just happily stay there for evermore? If that happens whilst still striving then fair enough, but where is the incentive for players or managers if there is no plan or hope for progression?

I'm trying to point out that no matter what level we are playing at there will always be someone who thinks we should be further up the hierarchy. Yes, it can happen. Wigan springs to mind but it's rare and I really can't see it happening when we are so close to Eastlands and Old Trafford. In the meantime I'm happy to be entertained

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »

I'm trying to point out that no matter what level we are playing at there will always be someone who thinks we should be further up the hierarchy. Yes, it can happen. Wigan springs to mind but it's rare and I really can't see it happening when we are so close to Eastlands and Old Trafford. In the meantime I'm happy to be entertained

Most are happy to be entertained. Most also realise that Championship/Premiership is definitely unobtainable for a club of our size and our catchment area (given the teams already in the same catchment area), but that shouldn't stifle some level of ambition to compete at the highest level possible.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

roytonmike

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »

Most are happy to be entertained. Most also realise that Championship/Premiership is definitely unobtainable for a club of our size and our catchment area (given the teams already in the same catchment area), but that shouldn't stifle some level of ambition to compete at the highest level possible.
Agreed - where I think you & I differ is as to what level is the highest possible, or perhaps in my case desirable would be a better word. I don't see the Football League as practically possible for us for a good number of years to come, on either economic or footballing grounds, and to be honest I don't personally regard it as being desirable either, for the reasons I outlined earlier. I can stomach (just) the restrictive atmosphere of the Conference, North or National, as I do think that for a semi-professional club to compete at ConfNat level represents a positive and worthwhile goal, but for myself I wouldn't cross the street, let alone undertake a 15-mile journey by public transport, to watch Football League. Put bluntly, who would want to follow another Bury, Oldham, Rochdale or these days even Bolton? Not me.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »

I fully accept that we will never play in the Premiership - after all we play with a round ball. I don't fancy us for the Premier League either.

I understand Mike's view, but I'd like a shot at League 2, even though I don't think we could keep it up for long. Then again, look at Accrington.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2018, 02:28:41 PM »

This has turned into a very healthy thread. For me, we will be doing well if we are in the conference and OK if we are in the conference north.

I know we could have been in the football league if the voting had gone right in the seventies but these days 80% of the premier league and 20% of the championship is made up of foreign imports. By my reckoning the majority of the home grown players have all been pushed down a division so if we can get back to the conference we would be watching what previously would have been division 4 anyway.

A bit of a stretch I know but you can see where I'm coming from.

A serious and hopefully non-inflammatory question for those who want change? Who are you expecting to do due diligence on any new majority shareholder? Are we going to hand over the reigns to the first individual who turns up with a barrow load of cash? Presumably not so who will make the decision?

I don’t recall anyone being up in arms when the only firm offer we have received, so far, for the football club was halted at the due diligence stage by the current board? I think that answers your question Cat. Despite understandable reservations over their collective judgement, I think most people would accept (and did accept) there were no other options.

Either way, I think you are stepping way ahead of yourself there by worrying about that just now. We first need to concentrate on generating wider interest and getting the right people talking about it, before we worry about the next stage. And we are well off that at the present moment in time.
Then, after that, the main stumbling block is the “vision” that any new incomer must apparently share with the board. To find someone who wants to run a football club in the same archaic way that our current board do, is going to be near enough impossible.

As for where we should be (or aim to be) as a football club, then you only have to take a glance at the top half of the current GMVC table and look at the other teams there. However, looking at the respective clubs involved, I think the reality is that we will now find it much harder to pass through the Conf North than we would to survive as a Conf National club these days.
I fear that decision to promote Neil Tolson to manager (for what?) in March 2016, rather than aim for survival, is going to continue haunting this football club for many years yet.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2018, 02:30:19 PM »

Agreed - where I think you & I differ is as to what level is the highest possible, or perhaps in my case desirable would be a better word. I don't see the Football League as practically possible for us for a good number of years to come, on either economic or footballing grounds, and to be honest I don't personally regard it as being desirable either, for the reasons I outlined earlier. I can stomach (just) the restrictive atmosphere of the Conference, North or National, as I do think that for a semi-professional club to compete at ConfNat level represents a positive and worthwhile goal, but for myself I wouldn't cross the street, let alone undertake a 15-mile journey by public transport, to watch Football League. Put bluntly, who would want to follow another Bury, Oldham, Rochdale or these days even Bolton? Not me.

If that isn’t an incentive for achieving success at this football club, then I don’t know what is Michael...

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »

I fear that decision to promote Neil Tolson to manager (for what?) in March 2016, rather than aim for survival, is going to continue haunting this football club for many years yet.
Nail on head. Don't know about you, but in the 5 minutes between Sinnott leaving and Tolson being appointed I genuinely thought it inevitable that we'd recruit a capable manager who would keep us up with ease.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »

We don't currently monetise the following options:

Twitter
Facebook
WhatsApp
Spotify
Instagram
The majority of the website
Entrance gate
The walls outside the ground

We don't maximise our revenue on the following:
The bar TVs
The tables in the sports hall
The catering
The matchday hospitality experience
Additional hospitality revenue
High street partnerships
Merchandise
Exile packages

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:23:10 PM by HashtagAlty »
It's all my fault.

david sneddon

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2018, 06:06:35 PM »

Nail on head. Don't know about you, but in the 5 minutes between Sinnott leaving and Tolson being appointed I genuinely thought it inevitable that we'd recruit a capable manager who would keep us up with ease.

That comfortable appointment was set in stone for the rest of that  season the same day it was announced that Lee Sinnott had departed. Much like Doughty was promised the managers job here for this season, only staved off and averted by late intervention at a board meeting. And they wonder why people stay away.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »

Why don't we just throw this league as it's all pally pally at this level and we can stand or sit where we want around the ground? What's the point in getting promoted where we might have to face an away contingent of more than one man and his dog and possibly impose segregation? Why don't we all just sack it off and go and watch Knutsford?

What's the point in ambition? What's the point in trying? Just lie back, relax, roll a fat one and enjoy the ambience of the empty stands. Get some old sofas for the Golf Road end and we can all become couch locked, comfy in our stagnation.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »

Be interesting if we manage to stay top and get promoted would the stay aways attend? Or maybe for some big playoff games?

Pwill

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2018, 12:47:07 PM »

I will not be back with my lad until Alty get back to Conf National.  The standard of football below that is not worth the admission price.  Simple as that.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »

I will not be back with my lad until Alty get back to Conf National.  The standard of football below that is not worth the admission price.  Simple as that.

Maybe...........but you could be away for quite some time.........the Conf North has moved on these days and some serious money will be needed to win it
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

andrewflynn

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2018, 02:52:26 PM »

It’ll be 15 beans at National League level.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stay away fans and atmosphere