News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Season extension

Author Topic: Season extension  (Read 4241 times)

KENNERLEY

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
Season extension
« on: March 10, 2018, 12:15:37 PM »

Can somebody explain why the season cannot be extended, how many Evo Stik players are going to the world cup.
I look forward to some rational explanation.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Season extension
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »

Contracted semi-pro players are paid during the playing season and not the off-season so clubs are reluctant to extend the playing season at this level.
Also, there will be a meeting at some point in May when the clubs are fitted into the new structure for next season. If we don't know whether, say, Marine or Sutton Coldfield are going to be relegated, ( as they would go into different leagues) that would delay everything and one league could not unilaterally declare an extension. I suppose the FA could declare a general extension,  but I doubt it will happen at this level. It is more likely, I suggest,  in lower leagues, where players are not paid.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »

We still have one free Tuesday on the 24th Apr when mickleover don’t have a game, the Cheshire cup will have to be fitted in somewhere if we get through

roytonmike

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 01:17:55 PM »

We still have one free Tuesday on the 24th Apr when Mickleover don’t have a game, the Cheshire cup will have to be fitted in somewhere if we get through
Hopefully the League (who make fixture arrangements rather than the clubs at this level) will have noticed this & will take appropriate action.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 01:22:16 PM »

We still have one free Tuesday on the 24th Apr when Mickleover don’t have a game, the Cheshire cup will have to be fitted in somewhere if we get through
Hopefully the League (who make fixture arrangements rather than the clubs at this level) will have noticed this & will take appropriate action.
Agreed, and as regards the Cheshire Senior Cup, I have noticed the Liverpool Senior Cup final held over until the following season's pre-season before now. Perhaps the Cheshire FA could do likewise?

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 04:35:59 PM »

The main reason would be the need to reschedule the playoffs.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »

Extending a season sets a precedent, when is it done.  Does it give an advantage to a club that doesnt get its fixtures completed.  If all clubs have a backlog fair enough but this is unlikely to be the situation.
Cheshire cup to be a preseason comp is the answer
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 05:52:27 PM »

Extending a season sets a precedent, when is it done.  Does it give an advantage to a club that doesnt get its fixtures completed.  If all clubs have a backlog fair enough but this is unlikely to be the situation.

If you make the CSC pre season then you risk filling the schedule with fixtures that are less lucrative and not having the preferred type of opposition.

I would do away with it altogether, an anachronism in 2018 I'm afraid.

I wouldn't extend the season either. 

roytonmike

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 06:32:35 PM »

Extending a season sets a precedent, when is it done.  Does it give an advantage to a club that doesnt get its fixtures completed.  If all clubs have a backlog fair enough but this is unlikely to be the situation.
There are over 20 clubs competing in the CSC this season. I don't imagine that the Cheshire FA would be prepared to tell some NWCL clubs that they don't count as 'senior'. As it stands I would think the competition is too unwieldy to be run as a pre-season affair, much as we might wish it to be.
The fact is that in order to take part in official leagues & national cups you have to be affiliated to a county FA. In that sense the county associations have their clubs over a barrel; they can insist that member clubs take part in the county cup; it can't just be done away with.
As regards extending the season, as was said earlier on this thread, clubs will not want to pay players beyond their existing contracts, which I think tend to be of 40 weeks' duration. If that remains the case, in essence players are not paid - because they aren't employed by the clubs - in May, June or July. If a club is involved in play-offs it will probably make enough money from the game(s) to finance one extra week's wages but that would only affect a limited number. The point about the league restructuring this summer is also a sound one. My own preferred solutions would be (a) to discontinue the League Cup competition, which would free up a couple of dates & (b), perhaps more contentious, to limit numbers in any division to 22 clubs at most & 20 for preference (when the APL was created in 1979 it had just 20 member clubs, by the way).

Alty5678

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 06:39:08 PM »

The fact that the league crammed in as many fixtures as possible early doors, Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday most weeks at the start of the season, suggests this situation wasn't completely unexpected.

If the same frequency of games is going to be common at the end is the season then it pretty much replicates itself, so shouldn't be a problem.

That said, many more postponements and it will be overly tight in getting them all in.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 07:09:23 PM »

If you make the CSC pre season then you risk filling the schedule with fixtures that are less lucrative and not having the preferred type of opposition.

You can’t “do away” with the CSC. It’s a requirement of our registration for the Cheshire FA enabling us to take part in the FA Cup and FA Trophy

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »

You can’t “do away” with the CSC. It’s a requirement of our registration for the Cheshire FA enabling us to take part in the FA Cup and FA Trophy

I'm not saying we shouldn't take part in it, I know we have to. I would rather it was abolished full stop, slim chance of that happening of course.

Jezza

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 01:45:09 PM »

If all county cup games were pre season the competition would suddenly take on a whole new interest.....

As it is county cup games are seen as a hinderance to most and a hollow victory beating weakened sides....

There could be higher prize money, perhaps play off matches for Cheshire V Lancs for example......

Nah lets just stick with the same old dinosaur hated formula......well done county FAs everywhere
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Season extension