PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Marine - Match thread (weather, covers)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Marine - Match thread (weather, covers)  (Read 7390 times)

Mausoleum Alty

Re: Marine - Match thread (weather, covers)
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »

I hear what your saying but would an hour and 45 minutes make much difference in the big scheme of things

If the weather in Alty is anything like Oldham then a 2:55 pitch inspection wouldn't make a difference.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »

Been raining heavily since early hours here in Alty. Walked past the ground an hour ago .  Standing water in various parts of the ground. In my opinion Game will be off. Still raining heavily as I write this.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 09:44:24 AM »

I'm over the other side of the hills at the moment and would be truly astonished if Thursday's scheduled match at Shaw took place. At least, it'll give injured players time to recover.

Birkonian

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 09:51:04 AM »

Tranmere's game is off and their pitch is much better than Alty's. Most of the injured are unlikely to return this season.

roytonmike

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 10:15:46 AM »

Already OFF in our league - Barwell v Coalville, Buxton v Matlock, Hednesford v Rushall, Mickleover v Halesowen, Stalybridge v Ashton, Stourbridge v Stafford. ON - Warrington v Witton.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:39:52 AM by roytonmike »

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 10:45:51 AM »

Just shows how important covers are... Just as we launch a fundraising drive for... Covers :)

It's all my fault.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 01:16:17 PM »

I'm struggling to recall the last instance of Alty's Easter Monday fixture being postponed.

roytonmike: anything in your archives?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

roytonmike

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 01:44:54 PM »

I'm struggling to recall the last instance of Alty's Easter Monday fixture being postponed.
roytonmike: anything in your archives?
My archives tend not to include postponed games. I do remember travelling to Scarborough on an April Saturday to find the game off & ending up at a very muddy Turnbull Ground to watch Whitby v Guiseley; I have a feeling that might have been an Easter Saturday, but I can't recall an Easter Monday game not happening.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 03:04:54 PM »

I don't really understand this raising money for covers. If we are being told that the problem lies in poor drainage and a high water table, then I fail to see the point in raising money for covers. Obviously covers would help protect against frost, but most of our postponements are down to a waterlogged pitch.

Genuinely don't understand, am I missing something?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 03:13:35 PM »

I think it was said on Thursday that the drains aren’t the problem, it’s that the water isn’t working its way through the pitch as it should in places. So presumably if we could prevent water getting into the pitch, that would help greatly.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 06:03:31 PM »

I think it was said on Thursday that the drains aren’t the problem, it’s that the water isn’t working its way through the pitch as it should in places. So presumably if we could prevent water getting into the pitch, that would help greatly.

the way you put it there sounds exactly like the drains aren't working properly. water is collecting down the pop side and at worst in the golf road corner. it can't go anywhere once its there. that's a drainage issue. and its nothing new. i would suggest exactly the same amount of rain fell on warrington's pitch and it's obvious it was able to drain away.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 07:13:58 PM »

Whether it's a high water table or whether the water cannot disperse it undoubtedly is a drainage problem.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 07:41:19 PM »

There is a gully runs between the old Welman House site and the Allotments. It is dug to a lower level than our playing surface. Therefore it is a question of how long does it take for rainfall to perculate down through the soil.

In my opinion the covers that we currently have are woven plastic and therefore not rain proof. Even if they were, at some point you would have to roll back the covers and then the water would need to go somewhere.

Best bet is to have a zipwire from the back of the main stand to the radio robins "nest". Drape some plastic sheeting over it sposored by Travis Perkins and peg it out. Hey Presto an indoor stadium.Maybe one sheet of plastic wouldn't be big enough but wait a minute, we are in the glue league!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Marine - Match thread (weather, covers)