PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 winning this league
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: winning this league  (Read 14788 times)

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: winning this league
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 11:20:40 AM »

i feel a lot of fans feel it is almost beneath us to crow about winning this league, yet not many clubs nose dive like we did and immediately upturn without levelling out first. though not quite there yet , i think its a great achievement and have enjoyed our football and am really looking forward to next season already. the management team and players deserve a lot of credit and the great atmosphere we had a while back is slowly returning and with away support increasing next year should be good. ONWARDS AND UPWARDS 
we have won nothing yet . Hence why personally I have not crowed about an event that has yet to happen . I have crowed on many occasions however how amazing Phil and Neil have done

When we are confirmed as champions you won't be able to stop my chirping
ParkINson's red and white army

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 12:18:34 PM »

I can only speak for myself like, but even though winning this league was my minimum expectancy it doesn’t make me any less inclined to celebrate the success (should it happen.)

I’ve not travelled to all these villages across the north of England just to politely applaud and nod once the job is done. A lot of effort has gone into this season and our upturn in form needs to be celebrated.

Not lauded, not heralded as a historic season, just a positive appreciation of us accomplishing the mission.

Well said that man.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

markecky2

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 08:13:07 PM »

The crowd yesterday was surprisingly low. I thought the game had all the atmosphere of pre-season friendly apart from the odd ten minutes.

Something needs to change. We need every single Alty fan pulling behind the club. No one person is bigger than the club.

Did you start many songs to assist the atmosphere?  The game went dead for half an hour in the second half as it was won, the atmosphere struggled a bit at the start whilst they threw everything at us but certainly picked up after 20 mins (see lower down this post)

I'm pretty sure there was a mistake somewhere on the attendance as that did not look like 880 to me, certainly nearer a thousand with 10 away fans.

People are entitled to celebrate how they like and to the degree that they like.  Whilst there is no doubt that winning the league was the expectation and it looks like we will now, I feel that the players and management have done extremely well to keep it going as we have seen on the last few games, teams are very keen to beat us and have nothing lo lose if they gamble and don't achieve it.  

Whilst it may have been the expectation and budgets and crowds say we should do it as we know it doesn't always work like that.

If you support a football team, regardless of your opinions of things off the field, and you aren't pleased when they win matches and a league then you've surely lost your focus?

Two and a half years of depression and poor off the field decisions and PR gaffes have meant we have lost some supporters.  They are slowly being replaced by spectators. If we weren't doing well they would be replaced by no-one.

There is a huge difference between the two.  It takes a long time to turn these people into supporters, get them involved in the atmosphere and start to build a passion and a love for the place.

I hope that we can do that, get supporters back as well and push on together.  There are many clubs that would swop with us right now...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 08:15:03 PM by markecky2 »

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 08:33:31 PM »

The crowd yesterday was surprisingly low. I thought the game had all the atmosphere of pre-season friendly apart from the odd ten minutes.

Something needs to change. We need every single Alty fan pulling behind the club. No one person is bigger than the club.

Did you start many songs to assist the atmosphere?  The game went dead for half an hour in the second half as it was won, the atmosphere struggled a bit at the start whilst they threw everything at us but certainly picked up after 20 mins (see lower down this post)

I'm pretty sure there was a mistake somewhere on the attendance as that did not look like 880 to me, certainly nearer a thousand with 10 away fans.

People are entitled to celebrate how they like and to the degree that they like.  Whilst there is no doubt that winning the league was the expectation and it looks like we will now, I feel that the players and management have done extremely well to keep it going as we have seen on the last few games, teams are very keen to beat us and have nothing lo lose if they gamble and don't achieve it.  

Whilst it may have been the expectation and budgets and crowds say we should do it as we know it doesn't always work like that.

If you support a football team, regardless of your opinions of things off the field, and you aren't pleased when they win matches and a league then you've surely lost your focus?

Two and a half years of depression and poor off the field decisions and PR gaffes have meant we have lost some supporters.  They are slowly being replaced by spectators. If we weren't doing well they would be replaced by no-one.

There is a huge difference between the two.  It takes a lon. g time to turn these people into supporters, get them involved in the atmosphere and start to build a passion and a love for the place.

I hope that we can do that, get supporters back as well and push on together.  There are many clubs that would swop with us right now...

i thought the home fans really got behind the team again . Like you say lost some fizz for a while due to winning the match with 30 mins spare. Lots of banter and singing well done  
ParkINson's red and white army

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 10:20:54 PM »

There is a huge difference between the two.  It takes a long time to turn these people into supporters, get them involved in the atmosphere and start to build a passion and a love for the place.

+ 10000

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »

Great post. Couldn't agree more. Yes, we shouldn't have been here in the first place, but being happy that we are getting the results and look like a certainty for promotion is not a bad thing and in no way equates to an acceptance that everything off the field is rosy.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Cider Alty

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 03:21:07 PM »

You might be happy with the off-field status quo and you are entitled to hold that view. But don't try and suggest that those who aren't are hoping Alty don't win or something. That simply is not true.

My concerns, that attendances continue to be poor and are resulting in the club living (perhaps more) beyond its means than was planned at the start of the season, are valid.

roytonmike

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 04:51:01 PM »

You might be happy with the off-field status quo and you are entitled to hold that view. But don't try and suggest that those who aren't are hoping Alty don't win or something. That simply is not true.
My concerns, that attendances continue to be poor and are resulting in the club living (perhaps more) beyond its means than was planned at the start of the season, are valid.

May I interpose a few rather boring facts?
Average home league gate over the last ten seasons is 1022, not including play-off matches.
Seasonal averages as follows:
2008-9 1081; 2009-10 1095; 2010-1 1038 (all in Conf Nat)
2011-2 827; 2012-3 837; 2013-4 910 (all in Conf North)
2014-5 1246; 2015-6 1270 (Conf Nat)
2016-7 1150 (Conf North)
2017-8 to date 767 (EvoStik Prem)
The figures for 2016-7 are somewhat skewed by the presence of Salford & FCUM among the opposition, so a considerable reduction in average was to be expected in any event. The more interesting comparison is between this season and the three in Conf North from 2011-14. I am perfectly well aware that there are lies, damned lies and statistics but would suggest that the gates this season, which are the highest on average in this league by some distance (Stourbridge, the next best, average just under 700) are not perhaps quite as poor as some may think.
By the by - since our winning leagues happens on average less than once every Preston Guild (which occurs every 20 years, for the uninitiated - we've won five league titles in 115 years) I shall be very happy to celebrate winning this league if & when it happens!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:58:25 PM by roytonmike »

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »

I think it's fair to say the club's gate income will have been seriously hit by two major factors, the reduction in admission prices and the complete lack of opposition supporters. As Mike 's stats illustrate this would've been mitigated a bit by the return of those choosing not to come to home games. If we finish with an average of 750 this year and have a moderate Conf N next I'd be very surprised if we weren't averaging a 1000+ given we'll have FC Utd, York, Southport, and maybe County.

We know from the fan's forum and Shareholders meetings I've attended gate receipts account for about a third of our income. I'd agree with the points Ecky makes that it's the loss of  'supporters over spectators' that's more keenly felt. The sooner we find a way for that to be resolved the better.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:16:25 PM by JTH »

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 06:52:29 PM »

Great post RoytomMike.

From an income point of view we.ve only recently had the community centre to exploit so that provides an income that wasn't available before. No doubt things are still tight though.

Regarding turning spectators into supporters I think it starts with stability on the pitch. It's not good when you get a completely new set of faces turning up at the start of each season. There will be some comings and goings but really the core needs to be built on and then we can get behind a group of lads we recognise.

Chester are contemplating staying fulltime next season and anticipate crowds of 1300 or so. Hopefully we are living more within our means than they will be.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 07:05:22 PM »

If Chester are planning that after giving the manager in the conf next to no money i have no sympathy, it would be extrordinary
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Cider Alty

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »

Average home league gate over the last ten seasons is 1022, not including play-off matches.
2016-7 1150 (Conf North)
The figures for 2016-7 are somewhat skewed by the presence of Salford & FCUM among the opposition, so a considerable reduction in average was to be expected in any event. The more interesting comparison is between this season and the three in Conf North from 2011-14. I am perfectly well aware that there are lies, damned lies and statistics but would suggest that the gates this season, which are the highest on average in this league by some distance (Stourbridge, the next best, average just under 700) are not perhaps quite as poor as some may think.
By the by - since our winning leagues happens on average less than once every Preston Guild (which occurs every 20 years, for the uninitiated - we've won five league titles in 115 years) I shall be very happy to celebrate winning this league if & when it happens!

I think your last point undermines your argument that all is well.

This is a championship winning season, you are almost guaranteed a home win, we have slashed our admission prices by 40%, we can drink beer on the terrace, and yet we have the lowest average attendance in the last ten years. This is a Preston guild?

Do you really think we should be proud of the fact that we have the largest attendance in the evostick? Is that how far we've dropped? I can hear the laughter from Macclesfield.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »

2016-7 1150 (Conf North)

Mike,

Please feel free to correct my arithmetic if it's gone awry but according to my calculations, for the 12 home fixtures with a 3:00pm kick-off (11 Saturdays and New Year's Day) that we have played to date, the average attendance is 898.

By contrast, the nine home fixtures which have taken place on Tuesday evenings have recorded an average attendance of merely 592.

I think that this illustrates and underlines the disparity between spectators and supporters that Ecky was alluding to in a previous thread on this post.

The 'casual' spectators are all well and good on a Saturday afternoon (particularly with the odd discounted admission fee promotion thrown in) but it's those 'difficult' Tuesday nights when you rely on your core fanbase and as we know this season, that nucleus has been eroded owing to disillusionment with the club's figurehead.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:50:35 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 08:38:33 PM »

2016-7 1150 (Conf North)

I think your last point undermines your argument that all is well.

This is a championship winning season, you are almost guaranteed a home win, we have slashed our admission prices by 40%, we can drink beer on the terrace, and yet we have the lowest average attendance in the last ten years. This is a Preston guild?

Do you really think we should be proud of the fact that we have the largest attendance in the evostick? Is that how far we've dropped? I can hear the laughter from Macclesfield.

So on the one hand you are bemoaning that people aren't coming to watch a winning side but then talk about us being at such a low level and how far we've dropped. I'm genuinely confused, it's probably just me though.

I can't see anyone saying all is well, or that they are proud of the crowds. The issue of so many hard-core supporters staying away has been referred to time and time again in this and other threads (and this cannot remain the elephant in the room as far as the board is concerned).

There's been plenty of context and restraint in the praise given. People are giving credit where it's deserved and actually trying to squeeze some sort of long overdue and well earned pleasure and positivity after two seasons of hell. Is that really such a bad thing?

Alty5678

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »

Without the same info, i.e average attendances for Tuesdays vs Saturdays in previous seasons, this doesn't prove anything.

Whilst it probably wasn't a drop off of 33% previously, it may well have been (I don't have the figures, or intend on trawling through the stats to show either way). Taking into consideration the complete lack of away support on a Tuesday, it may actually be a similar change in home fans, as a percentage. When getting 1,200 for Saturday home games, were we getting around 800 for Tuesdays? Someone with a lot more knowledge of Alty than me could clarify, I'm sure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 winning this league