PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 winning this league
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: winning this league  (Read 14791 times)

Cider Alty

Re: winning this league
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 09:03:57 PM »

May I interpose a few rather boring facts?
Average home league gate over the last ten seasons is 1022, not including play-off matches.
Seasonal averages as follows:
2008-9 1081; 2009-10 1095; 2010-1 1038 (all in Conf Nat)
2011-2 827; 2012-3 837; 2013-4 910 (all in Conf North)
2014-5 1246; 2015-6 1270 (Conf Nat)
2016-7 1150 (Conf North)
2017-8 to date 767 (EvoStik Prem)
The figures for 2016-7 are somewhat skewed by the presence of Salford & FCUM among the opposition, so a considerable reduction in average was to be expected in any event. The more interesting comparison is between this season and the three in Conf North from 2011-14. I am perfectly well aware that there are lies, damned lies and statistics but would suggest that the gates this season, which are the highest on average in this league by some distance (Stourbridge, the next best, average just under 700) are not perhaps quite as poor as some may think.
By the by - since our winning leagues happens on average less than once every Preston Guild (which occurs every 20 years, for the uninitiated - we've won five league titles in 115 years) I shall be very happy to celebrate winning this league if & when it happens!

I think your last point undermines your argument that all is well.

This is a championship winning season, you are almost guaranteed a home win, we have slashed our admission prices by 40%, we can drink beer on the terrace, and yet we have the lowest average attendance in the last ten years. This is a Preston guild?

Do you really think we should be proud of the fact that we have the largest attendance in the evostick? Is that how far we've dropped? I can hear the laughter from Macclesfield.

So on the one hand you are bemoaning that people aren't coming to watch a winning side but then talk about us being at such a low level and how far we've dropped. I'm genuinely confused, it's probably just me though.

I can't see anyone saying all is well, or that they are proud of the crowds. The issue of so many hard-core supporters staying away has been referred to time and time again in this and other threads (and this cannot remain the elephant in the room as far as the board is concerned).

There's been plenty of context and restraint in the praise given. People are giving credit where it's deserved and actually trying to squeeze some sort of long overdue and well earned pleasure and positivity after two seasons of hell. Is that really such a bad thing?
Ok I’ll keep it simple for you.

The loss of our core support is worrying. I want bigger crowds that include all of our core support. The “f**k them” mentality of the board is divisive and bad for the club. The board should be actively trying to get all of our fans back to moss lane.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »

Average home league gate over the last ten seasons is 1022, not including play-off matches.
2016-7 1150 (Conf North)
The figures for 2016-7 are somewhat skewed by the presence of Salford & FCUM among the opposition, so a considerable reduction in average was to be expected in any event. The more interesting comparison is between this season and the three in Conf North from 2011-14. I am perfectly well aware that there are lies, damned lies and statistics but would suggest that the gates this season, which are the highest on average in this league by some distance (Stourbridge, the next best, average just under 700) are not perhaps quite as poor as some may think.
By the by - since our winning leagues happens on average less than once every Preston Guild (which occurs every 20 years, for the uninitiated - we've won five league titles in 115 years) I shall be very happy to celebrate winning this league if & when it happens!

This is a championship winning season, you are almost guaranteed a home win, we have slashed our admission prices by 40%, we can drink beer on the terrace, and yet we have the lowest average attendance in the last ten years. This is a Preston guild?

Do you really think we should be proud of the fact that we have the largest attendance in the evostick? Is that how far we've dropped? I can hear the laughter from Macclesfield.

So on the one hand you are bemoaning that people aren't coming to watch a winning side but then talk about us being at such a low level and how far we've dropped. I'm genuinely confused, it's probably just me though.

I can't see anyone saying all is well, or that they are proud of the crowds. The issue of so many hard-core supporters staying away has been referred to time and time again in this and other threads (and this cannot remain the elephant in the room as far as the board is concerned).

There's been plenty of context and restraint in the praise given. People are giving credit where it's deserved and actually trying to squeeze some sort of long overdue and well earned pleasure and positivity after two seasons of hell. Is that really such a bad thing?

The loss of our core support is worrying. I want bigger crowds that include all of our core support. The “f**k them” mentality of the board is divisive and bad for the club. The board should be actively trying to get all of our fans back to moss lane.
So how big is this core support loss, being due to the continued presence of Grahame Rowley, as opposed to the fact that we are playing in the Evostik league?

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 09:23:02 PM »

2016-7 1150 (Conf North)

Totally agree with you on that. Thanks for clarifying.

Alty5678

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 09:33:40 PM »

2016-7 1150 (Conf North)

So how big is this core support loss, being due to the continued presence of Grahame Rowley, as opposed to the fact that we are playing in the Evostik league?

As far as any "proof" goes, the only thing anyone has to go on is the 29 that left a game early in protest.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:55 PM »

2016-7 1150 (Conf North)

As far as any "proof" goes, the only thing anyone has to go on is the 29 that left a game early in protest.

Well that’s not actually proof, because several go to games still but many who didn’t walk out don’t gi
It's all my fault.

Bath Alty

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 10:07:55 PM »

I am delighted we are winning the league, yes we should be winning this league but we should have had enough about us to stay up last year and that didn't happen.  Hitting a target (especially when it's the best you can do) is grounds for celebration, whatever that target is.  I've only been able to get to a couple of games this season with the increased Northerness of the opposition but I've seen us score more goals in those 2 games (8) than in two seasons of away games south of Birmingham.  That has made a very pleasant change, no matter what league we are in.

It has also meant that Mark Simpsons invariably cheery tone on radio Robins commentary has been a much better match for my mood than in previous seasons!

On the other topic that has inevitably infiltrated this thread like most others, the thing that genuinely confuses me is the comment from those staying away that no man is bigger than the club - usually in the context of criticising GR clinging to power, but then they are staying away because of his continued role as chairman - thus making this one man bigger than their undoubted love for the club.  I really don't understand the logic.

Alty5678

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 10:28:16 PM »

2016-7 1150 (Conf North)

Well that’s not actually proof, because several go to games still but many who didn’t walk out don’t gi

I know it's not proof but it is the only visual that can be given an actual, accurate, figure.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 10:35:30 PM »

That's ridiculous, some people still go that want GR out and some people don't go that want him out. Likewise vice-versa, the only real knowledge is that he's currently a hindrance more than a help and if he really cared he would step down.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 08:26:49 AM »

2016-7 1150 (Conf North)

Depends how big our core support actually is but I'd estimate between 5% and 10% which is a fair chunk especially as a lot of them are singers.

anglo alty

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »

Winning any league over a 40 odd game programme is a major achievement when you take into account all the trials and tribulations over a season for this season read bad surfaces and postponements. A team plays in the league its in on merit if that is due to prommotion or regulation and to get out of that league in the right direction should be celebrated because it shows an improvement on what went before. celebrate please then onward and upward

andrewflynn

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 01:36:26 PM »

2016-7 1150 (Conf North)

Depends how big our core support actually is but I'd estimate between 5% and 10% which is a fair chunk especially as a lot of them are singers.

That's the thing, it's vocal support that we're missing. Slowly being rebuilt (we're certainly in a better place chants than we were at the start of the season) but these voices will always be sorely missed.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 02:16:19 PM »

That's ridiculous, some people still go that want GR out and some people don't go that want him out. Likewise vice-versa, the only real knowledge is that he's currently a hindrance more than a help and if he really cared he would step down.

Spot on. There is a wide spectrum of disillusionment with the club (off the field) among the fan base, and the club trying to file all of these supporters in the “f*ck them” category is severely missing the point.

Some don’t go at all any more, some only go to away games, some go home games but refuse to spend in the CSH, or refuse to spend money in the bar either side of the game, or don’t buy a programme, or don’t support the fundraisers in the same way anymore, some go the games and spend their money but refuse to volunteer for jobs they would otherwise be doing at the club, etc. etc.
Of course there are many others don’t give two hoots about who is in charge, or even who we are playing, and just want to watch a game of football on a Saturday. And it would be churlish of anyone to ignore the fact that there are those who still believe the current chairman is the best man to lead us forward.

Trying to quantify the negative impact the current chairman is having on the club is difficult. But what is for sure is that, whatever the rights or wrongs of it, the football club will never reach its full potential while Grahame Rowley remains as chairman. It’s impossible. However good things are, or get (and here’s hoping they get as good as possible!), we will always be short of where we could potentially be if not for one person, and if we had all the groups above rowing in the same direction.

What a shame.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »

Spot on. There is a wide spectrum of disillusionment with the club (off the field) among the fan base, and the club trying to file all of these supporters in the “f*ck them” category is severely missing the point.

Some don’t go at all any more, some only go to away games, some go home games but refuse to spend in the CSH, or refuse to spend money in the bar either side of the game, or don’t buy a programme, or don’t support the fundraisers in the same way anymore, some go the games and spend their money but refuse to volunteer for jobs they would otherwise be doing at the club, etc. etc.
Of course there are many others don’t give two hoots about who is in charge, or even who we are playing, and just want to watch a game of football on a Saturday. And it would be churlish of anyone to ignore the fact that there are those who still believe the current chairman is the best man to lead us forward.

Trying to quantify the negative impact the current chairman is having on the club is difficult. But what is for sure is that, whatever the rights or wrongs of it, the football club will never reach its full potential while Grahame Rowley remains as chairman. It’s impossible. However good things are, or get (and here’s hoping they get as good as possible!), we will always be short of where we could potentially be if not for one person, and if we had all the groups above rowing in the same direction.

What a shame.

Can you quantify “some” so we can assess the potential shortfall?
By the way it’s been drizzling in Buxton for the last couple of hours.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2018, 03:38:12 PM »

What a shame.

I rang Buxton about 10 mins ago. Games on. Parking is on Street

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 04:02:23 PM »

Therein lies the problem to a certain extent. In fact one of my questions sent in to the board was "Has any attempt been made to quantify the numbers staying away and the effect this may be having on revenue?" It was initially met with silence as nobody wanted to answer the question and eventually waffle that essentially meant "No, nothing been done".

I suspect neither side is keen to quantify for fear of it not appearing the way they want it to appear for their own ends.  Probably not that easy to ascertain anyway for a number of reasons.

So, as it stands it's relatively easy for the club to dismiss as trifling, although I feel that is far from an adequate response and any number staying away should be seen as completely unacceptable. Conversely, it is just as easy for the RO group to portray this as a much more significant number.

In my opinion, the number, whatever it may be, is significant enough for more to be being done by the club.

The statistics that are readily to hand can be easily twisted to suit either sides needs. It appears we have reached an incredibly uneasy status quo, with no significant change on the horizon?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 winning this league