PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Quick Promotion Question
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quick Promotion Question  (Read 8797 times)

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Quick Promotion Question
« on: April 25, 2018, 08:21:49 AM »

Was it merely achieved or...?  :)
It's all my fault.

Jezza

Re: Quick Promotion Question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:37:05 AM »

Handed to us on a plate by default.

Punched above our weight in the evostick

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »

I think it was hard won,iknow we had quality players but getting them and the gelling was up to PP.  Its not easy to win a league, we could have easily been Stalybridge.  It also should be considered that we have set the foundations for next year and possibly longer.  A marvellous season
Bernard Taylors barmy army

salealty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »

We won it by finishing with the most points. We had the best team and possibly the biggest budget but you still have to win the games.

After the rubbish we've watched over the past seasons it's great to be watching entertaining football again its been a long time

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:14:07 PM »

I think the results against Stafford, Witton, Workington and Stalybridge show it was hard won. Slip ups were severely punished. When it came to the final shove we probably had more strength in depth than Warrington and Grantham.

andrewflynn

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 12:41:24 PM »

We've been the best team in the league this season and you only need to look at the tweets of sincere congratulations from other clubs to see it has been recognised. That being said, lets not underestimate the importance of:

07 Apr: Nantwich 2-1 Warrington
10 Apr: Warrington 0-0 Nantwich

We pulled back clear at this point when Warrington were bang in the mix.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »

We won the league on merit. Best attack, best defence, end of.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 01:22:27 PM »

Taking nothing whatsoever from the players/management, we won a league we should never have been in in the first place. However, Toff Apple makes an excellent point about setting the foundations in place for next year. For me, that has been the real achievement.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »

Won by having the best collective of players, coached and managed by the best management team. Supported by the most vocal and enthusiastic of fans.
Played by far the best style of football with a never say die attitude
OK we may have had the biggest budget but the team needs gelling into a successful outfit.

Personally. I thought we pissed it

Looking fwd to Saturday.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 01:45:06 PM »

The irony is on our way up we shall pass Lee Sinnott coming down.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 04:23:58 PM »

Having gone 145 years without a promotion or relegation, Gainsborough appoint Lee Sinnott as manager.
He fulfils his promise to get them out of the National League North.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 04:50:02 PM »

I would count 1912, when they finished bottom of Division 2 and failed to gain re-election, as a relegation. So a mere 106 years really. And I feel that Lee Sinnott inherited a doomed ship, so can't take all the blame. Good luck to them for next season.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 06:07:03 PM »

I would count 1912, when they finished bottom of Division 2 and failed to gain re-election, as a relegation. So a mere 106 years really. And I feel that Lee Sinnott inherited a doomed ship, so can't take all the blame. Good luck to them for next season.

Yes saw that on BBC - thought at the time - what part of finishing last and not being allowed to take part the next season is not relegation
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 07:42:20 PM »

The facts are we won the league with a largely new side losing 7 games, 3 of which were in the first 8 of the season. We went top on 14 October and have stayed there, being frontrunners for that long is a serious achievement in itself. We've every chance of winning the title by a double point margin scoring 100 goals and barring miracles will finish top scorers and having the best defence. We've clearly got the best squad, as others faltered in the closing weeks of the season when it matters, we pulled away.  I don't know whether we have the biggest budget, it's certainly one of the biggest, but as last season demonstrated that's not guarantee of success on the field. Above all else PP and NS deserve everyone's backing next season, where we need to re-establish ourselves in the Conf North and can look at the top half of the table first on a Sunday morning.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:44:32 PM by JTH »

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 08:29:04 PM »

The facts are we won the league with a largely new side losing 7 games, 3 of which were in the first 8 of the season. We went top on 14 October and have stayed there, being frontrunners for that long is a serious achievement in itself. We've every chance of winning the title by a double point margin scoring 100 goals and barring miracles will finish top scorers and having the best defence. We've clearly got the best squad, as others faltered in the closing weeks of the season when it matters, we pulled away.  I don't know whether we have the biggest budget, it's certainly one of the biggest, but as last season demonstrated that's not guarantee of success on the field. Above all else PP and NS deserve everyone's backing next season, where we need to re-establish ourselves in the Conf North and can look at the top half of the table first on a Sunday morning.

Well said young man.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Quick Promotion Question