PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Quick Promotion Question
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quick Promotion Question  (Read 8687 times)

Mausoleum Alty

Re: Quick Promotion Question
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 08:49:08 PM »

The facts are we won the league with a largely new side losing 7 games, 3 of which were in the first 8 of the season. We went top on 14 October and have stayed there, being frontrunners for that long is a serious achievement in itself. We've every chance of winning the title by a double point margin scoring 100 goals and barring miracles will finish top scorers and having the best defence. We've clearly got the best squad, as others faltered in the closing weeks of the season when it matters, we pulled away.  I don't know whether we have the biggest budget, it's certainly one of the biggest, but as last season demonstrated that's not guarantee of success on the field. Above all else PP and NS deserve everyone's backing next season, where we need to re-establish ourselves in the Conf North and can look at the top half of the table first on a Sunday morning.

That's nothing, Macclesfield won the National League on the lowest budget in the league.........hmmmmm really?

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 09:06:03 PM »

The facts are we won the league with a largely new side losing 7 games, 3 of which were in the first 8 of the season. We went top on 14 October and have stayed there, being frontrunners for that long is a serious achievement in itself. We've every chance of winning the title by a double point margin scoring 100 goals and barring miracles will finish top scorers and having the best defence. We've clearly got the best squad, as others faltered in the closing weeks of the season when it matters, we pulled away.  I don't know whether we have the biggest budget, it's certainly one of the biggest, but as last season demonstrated that's not guarantee of success on the field. Above all else PP and NS deserve everyone's backing next season, where we need to re-establish ourselves in the Conf North and can look at the top half of the table first on a Sunday morning.
fantastic post
ParkINson's red and white army

Matt Taylor

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 11:07:57 PM »

Promotion may have been the minimum requirement this season, but to do it automatically, and with games to spare is worthy of praise. We may have had the budget to match the league position, but we were no where near the relative levels of Flyde and Salford when they escaped this league. And it’s worth remembering that neither of those two sides achieved/earned promotion automatically like we have, despite their own financial advantages.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 11:50:35 PM »

Promotion may have been the minimum requirement this season, but to do it automatically, and with games to spare is worthy of praise. We may have had the budget to match the league position, but we were no where near the relative levels of Flyde and Salford when they escaped this league. And it’s worth remembering that neither of those two sides achieved/earned promotion automatically like we have, despite their own financial advantages.

We have EARNED promotion because we have been the best team over a full season. Whoever wins the playoffs will have ACHIEVED promotion because they weren't quite good enough to win the league, but won a knockout competition for the "next best" clubs.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 08:28:59 AM »

I think the most satisfying thing for me is that most of the team can step up in my opinion and therefore (for the first time in ages) we can have a relatively quiet summer with few changes needed.

I'm sure PP will have his ideas on where to strengthen - it'll be interesting to see who Salford release (and whether they end up here).

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »

Any released Salford lads would only come here if the money is right though. Being able to tempt them to Moss Lane rather than Stockport, Southport or Chester will be quite a challenge.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 12:39:54 PM »

Any released Salford lads would only come here if the money is right though. Being able to tempt them to Moss Lane rather than Stockport, Southport or Chester will be quite a challenge.

I'm not disagreeing with you Bri but how much of a challenge? Or at the very least how difficult to position ourselves as a club to move forward ahead of them. I mean Southport have a morning or two of training, we must be able to move towards that surely.

Chester and Stockport are basket cases and floundering for a reason. They don't seem to attract the better players as it is.

You are right though to an extent. I think the key will be to attract players with a point to prove like Johnson and Hulme

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »

Agree with jock etc, it’s a great achievement for all the reasons outlined. It was muted somewhere the other day that’s there’s 10 full time sides with 20k a week budgets in the conference north now, I’m not sure I believe those figures. But, we must not rest in our quest to get back to conference national football initially. If Accrington, Burton, Macclesfield and Morecambe can play league football and Sutton, ebbsfleet, boreham wood, Bromley and Maidenhead can finish in the top half of the national league, so can we. No more part time and proud of it, or we can’t compete with such and such or can we have a second hand lawn mower. It’s time to aim for the stars and if it takes financial clout rather than coffee mornings we need to get out there and find it. Our glory years weren’t built on Easter raffles and guess the attendance, it was built on investment by strong sizeable board of directors with differing skill set

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 01:47:10 PM »

We managed to tempt Pooley here when it was rumoured the likes and FCUM and Stockport were after him - Stockport's forum was hilarious when he came here.

I wouldn't rule out the pull of him, JJ and particularly Jordan Hulme when it comes to attracting their mates over.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »

We need to get jj and Jordan signed up for next season asap if it hasn't already happened
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Quick Promotion Question