News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This and next season

Author Topic: This and next season  (Read 2184 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
This and next season
« on: April 29, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »

This last season will go down as one of my most memorable. I have now seen the club win 4 league championships in my era of following them - 79/90, 80/81, 98/99 and now 17/18. They have all been very special in their own way, but this was one was against all odds, making it my favourite. Yes I know it was the Evostick Premier League one, but it was against the backdrop of two previous relegations, and some very low and downbeat feelings. The board, new management and the hard core of our players, worked hard over this last season to put it right. New players came in as Phil and Neil bought in signings to take the club forward and rebuild. It had to be right, and my god it was!!

Nobody can underestimate the difficulty of a task to turn a club round from two relegations to where we are now. Phil and Neil came in, changed things and gave us fight, using core players of Tim Deasy, Simon Richman, Jake Moult and Shaun Densmore. These players have the club coursing through their veins and will walk through fire to achieve with us. They are our heartbeat and their contribution will never be under-estimated. But it was not just our original core players, we brought players in who would follow their way of thinking. That was the most difficult judgement for Phil and Neil, but they got it bang on. I think the turnaround by Phil, Neil and the lads is one of the club''s greatest achievements. After the first meeting with Phil/Neil, I thought we may turn it round, but never did I think at the time it would be in their first season. Just steady the ship, then build. But to have won it by 13 points, by playing a great game of football the way it should be played, but with oodles of added style and pazzazz. It was typical of this team to not be satisfied with 100 goals, but to have to score 101. That says it all about their attitude. A previous poster said a few games ago, how many points we may need to win the league towards the end of the season, it turned out we only needed one. The matches that stick out for me this season, are Shaw Lane at home, and Grantham away. They went into that game and most others with the intention of winning and being masters of their own destiny. I wish I could have been there to celebrate.

Carys from Chester came with me yesterday, and as she was tired, we sat in the main stand. I had a great view of the game and the presentations afterwards and Carys commented on how there was so much joy at the game and it was great to see. This from a girl who does not particularly like football. she took many photos and missed the first two goals. The first one she was putting pictures on facebook. Jakes goal she missed as she was getting a coffee, and me a pint of Jennings Cockahoop (my favourite beer). I also missed Jakes goal as a steady procession of fans used the front row behind the board seats to get from one side to the other. This became a constant nuisance throughout the game as everybody tried to get beer replenished/toilets/kids wandering around. Several of us missed the goal, me included. However, this was a one-off as we don't have beer festivals at every home game. I must admit though, on the few occasions I have done it, I did enjoy a pint while watching the game. I will miss that next season.

So what of the future now. Well, I believe we now have the infra-structure at board level to take the club forward, and that includes the current chairman.  There is much to build on, I know we will probrably keep most of the players we had this season, the team only needs one or two minor tweeks.  Phil will update us I am sure in the next couple of weeks.  So long as the club build ongoing in steady stages and stick to their five year plan our growth should continue.  I also feel that Phil and Neil are getting the club coursing through their veins (despite Neil's Macc links). I only hope that these two maintain the success, and are involved with the club long-term. The club now needs to build on it's success and maintain it's stability it has earned this season. This club is so important to it's fans, me included.  And I love the bond between players, management and supporters, my god it is priceless and pretty unique even at non-league level, and must be the envy if other clubs.

What a great day yesterday was, a great crowd, great beer, great atmosphere, great game, great presentations and a great club.

So so happy this morning! Will we ever be a league club, never have I had so much belief since the early 80's that this is achievable, but in careful stages. I just hope it happens within my lifetime. why not! Can we have it in our 10 year plan?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:38:05 AM by Steve from Sale »

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: This and next season
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 05:37:03 PM »

Bill Waterson said after the game that we are the first club relegated from Conf North to bounce back at the first attempt.......I am glad nobody mentioned that back in August  ;D
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:51:12 PM »

Some years I can a lot of flack on this forum for saying I'd rather be entertained by winning in a lower league than seeing us lose every week in a higher one. Well no one can deny that this season has been thoroughly entertaining.

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »

agree with your entire post bar one line.

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This and next season