PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Full-time and proud?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Full-time and proud?  (Read 12994 times)

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Full-time and proud?
« on: April 29, 2018, 11:25:24 AM »

Phil continued, "Next season will 100% be about consolidation, weighing up where we need to improve, and then the following season we will have a good go at it. There's a lot of full-time teams in the National League North. We need to weigh up the direction we're going as a football club".

Reading between the lines here, it looks like Parkinson might be pushing for a move to full-time football. This would obviously require a boost in revenue and 'investment', but it's interesting to see someone at the club hint towards going full-time.

If our aim is to get back into the Conference then going full-time would be a logical step. Although I do have some sympathy for the argument that it's better to have the best part-timers over the worst full-timers.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Full-time and proud?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »

BPA have just  reached the play offs in national north if we ge two or three quality players in next season maybe we could do similar

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 11:50:27 AM »

Parkinson’s changed his tune. Where’s the “let’s buuld momentum and see where it takes us.” Aka Chester from pre-season. Snowballing he called it.

Next season should be about aiming for the top 7. Bar sepnnymore and Blyth mini collapse over the last month, both would have made playoffs. BPA (a nearly relegated side) will be in them.

I’m not asking for a “we’re going for the title” but look at stalybridgs consolidating this year.

Next year with the squad morale and momentum may be our best chance to bounce back up.
It's all my fault.

Altyrocket

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »

BPA finances are under pressure for next season apparently.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »

BPA finances are under pressure for next season apparently.

Believe they're trying to ground share with Bradford Bulls
Full time and proud of it

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 12:23:59 PM »

Parkinson’s changed his tune. Where’s the “let’s buuld momentum and see where it takes us.” Aka Chester from pre-season. Snowballing he called it.

Next season should be about aiming for the top 7. Bar sepnnymore and Blyth mini collapse over the last month, both would have made playoffs. BPA (a nearly relegated side) will be in them.

I’m not asking for a “we’re going for the title” but look at stalybridgs consolidating this year.

Next year with the squad morale and momentum may be our best chance to bounce back up.

Spot on. In my book we already have the spine of a team who would be good enough to compete for the play offs in the NN, with a few additions I think we should aim high for next season. Blyth & Spenymoor were top 10 all season and both should really have made the play offs so that shows us nothing to fear. We’ll start the season as the newly promoted team with momentum which we should build on.

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 01:19:59 PM »

Altrincham FC should not be aiming to consolidate in the conf N ffs...

We should be aiming to win the league!!!.....play offs minimum this season...and a decent trophy and fa cup run to make up for this season where we fans fully took being knocked out by lowly teams on the chin and put everything behind the league.

Has Rowley mind washed the normally ambitious PP and got him into the "we cant compete with the likes of spenymoor and brackley" mindset already?.....

So play offs....trophy semi and fa cup 2nd round minimum please Parky....we know you can do it  ;D

PS forget the CSC as per norm please

This isn't Stalybridge.....

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 01:28:18 PM »

Phil continued, "Next season will 100% be about consolidation, weighing up where we need to improve, and then the following season we will have a good go at it. There's a lot of full-time teams in the National League North. We need to weigh up the direction we're going as a football club".

Reading between the lines here, it looks like Parkinson might be pushing for a move to full-time football. This would obviously require a boost in revenue and 'investment', but it's interesting to see someone at the club hint towards going full-time.

If our aim is to get back into the Conference then going full-time would be a logical step. Although I do have some sympathy for the argument that it's better to have the best part-timers over the worst full-timers.

If the Club's objective to get back to the top of the non league game is to be achieved, and more importantly, to be sustained, then I don't see that there is any other option at the moment - it has to go full time. It also needs to look very hard at its infrastructure, and whether this is capable of sustaining a professional Club, both in terms of playing and spectator facilities and the all important commercial activities. Now is the time for some serious investment.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:30:30 PM by Graham Bennetts Perm »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 01:34:14 PM »

Wow, you really are damned if you do and damned if you don't...

Sinnott was (quite rightly) criticised for his '20/20' target before the season in which we ultimately went down.

PP will NOT be short of ambition, nor will he have been brainwashed by Rowley (sorry for those on that particular agenda).

For the record I think we'll do very well next season and PP's realistic targets will be aprt of that.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 01:42:34 PM »

I would be perfectly happy to "consolidate" in the league, and bin off the Trophy, provided we get to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and pull out a plum draw.

It is very important to put the club in the public eye, and thereby encourage serious long term investment. And money from televised games would massively aid our revenue streams.

Get all of that achieved next season, and we can look at going full time, and winning North in 2019/20.

Once we're in National as a full time club, we should be in a good enough fettle to seriously target the Football League within a 3-5 year period.

I just could live long enough to see it !

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 01:44:51 PM »

Sinnott was (quite rightly) criticised for his '20/20' target before the season in which we ultimately went down.

PP will NOT be short of ambition, nor will he have been brainwashed by Rowley (sorry for those on that particular agenda).

For the record I think we'll do very well next season and PP's realistic targets will be aprt of that.

Sinnott's 20/20 idea was actually eminently sensible....it was what was needed....but to make the statement then sign no players who could deliver this change was what was derided about the statement....

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 02:18:54 PM »

Altrincham FC director, Bill Waterson, penned the following "From the Boardroom" article for Saturday's Robins' Review, which encapsulates the Club's off-field ambition over the next twelve months...

"Today we welcome the board, players, officials and supporters of Hednesford to the J Davidson Stadium for the final game of the long but immensely satisfying Evo-Stik Northern Premier League season. In doing so we welcome back James Lawrie to Moss Lane, who gave us so many incredible memories in his time at Moss Lane.

So here we are, Champions of the Northern Premier League. We topped the table from early October with the most wins, fewest defeats, most goals scored (two more needed for a league century), fewest conceded, best supported team home and away. This is an incredible achievement and one which should not be undervalued. I hope to say more on this after the game, if appropriate.

Already the club are planning for next season. Our intent on the field is to selectively strengthen the squad so that we can mount a challenge in our first season back in the National League North. And this clearly defines our off-field priorities. We need to raise enough revenue to provide Phil Parkinson with a higher playing budget than this year.

Given we intentionally ran at a deficit this season, this means that the revenue we need to raise is significantly higher than the rise in the playing budget itself.We need to expand our commercial functions to give us every opportunity to achieve this. The board are meeting next week for a commercial planning day where we will put into effect our plans in this area. This includes our admission and season ticket pricing strategy and let me thank you for your input to this process. We only raise around 30% of our revenue from admission prices, and we have no plans to change that, except perhaps downwards over time.

In addition, we have plans to improve our infrastructure and therefore we will also be looking at ways of funding such activities. Thank you all for your contributions that allowed us to purchase the pitch covers, and in that context, we have also laid out our plans to improve the pitch drainage. We will also be looking at improvements to the media gantry and therefore to the Popular Side.

We announced the arrival of a new website and work continues building the platform. I would like to express our wholehearted thanks on behalf of the club, and on behalf of the fans to John Laidlar for his magnificent contribution over many years. The content of the website is so complete that it puts many others to shame. We do not intend to lose this content as we move to a new platform, instead we are opening ourselves to new commercial opportunities as we drive new revenue streams from Digital.

Finally, we lost another dear friend and extraordinary fan this week with the passing of Jacqui Forster, who lost her long battle with cancer. She has been a major actor in football across League and non-League clubs for many years and was our Honorary Head of Inclusivity and Diversity. It is amazing how much Jacqui and Jordan Tyms were able to achieve this season given Jacqui’s declining health. She will be missed.

Thank you for your magnificent support this season, and I look forward to seeing you all in a couple of months.

Enjoy the game, Bill Waterson".

You can see from this article that the club is looking to fund a squad capable of mounting a challenge next season. This will have been discussed with Phil and I am sure like us that is his ambition to push for promotion. From there and in future planning the full time/part time debate will continue.

I for one am looking forward to next season.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 11:13:30 PM »

Sinnott's 20/20 idea was actually eminently sensible....it was what was needed....but to make the statement then sign no players who could deliver this change was what was derided about the statement....

I do not think 20/20 was sensible...........a target yes, but he should have been realistic

I think I posted several months later that over the previous ten Conference seasons very few clubs had improved their goal difference the following season by scoring twenty more and conceding twenty less.
I cannot remember the exact details, but I think that only Crawley ever achieved it and since AFC failed to gain a mystery Chinese billionaire backer in the close season, then the target was frankly  ridiculous
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:29:45 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

anglo alty

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 12:56:56 PM »

IF we are to get back to the national lge  then full time is a must, but don't lets kill ourselves to do it . We have been there far to often in the past, would hate to be AFC  Altrincham . For us to survive in conference Nth as  a  competitive full time club last Saturdays crowd would need to be the norm. We don't have a sugar daddy or an oligarch in the wings

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »

IF we are to get back to the national lge  then full time is a must, but don't lets kill ourselves to do it . We have been there far to often in the past, would hate to be AFC  Altrincham . For us to survive in conference Nth as  a  competitive full time club last Saturdays crowd would need to be the norm. We don't have a sugar daddy or an oligarch in the wings

....and that hasn't been achieved on a consistent basis since we won the APL in the first 2 seasons (37 years ago....sh*t I'm old).
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Full-time and proud?