PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Full-time and proud?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Full-time and proud?  (Read 12988 times)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Full-time and proud?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »

The only way we'd sustain full time football would be with a board of directors committed to underwriting the potential six figure losses every season. Even then, we'd need a stronger hardcore fan base and much sharper commercial approach to keep those losses to a minimum. That's a fact of life for full time clubs at this level.  Extra fans in the bar and a revamped golden goal isn't going to make much impact.

I genuinely believe we are making inroads on the commercial side, but PP makes a very valid point when he asks what direction we want to go in. Up to the chairman and board I guess.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 08:37:56 PM »

Without wanting to turn this into a Rowley out thread, a lot of dissatisfaction is gleaned from the perception (maybe fairly, maybe unfairly) that his concern is staying as chairman at a level he is comfortable with, rather than getting to the conf national level we could/should be at where he has proved not to be comfortable, as the required openness and investment wasn't sought after enough.

That may be unfair (I'm sure he'd want the best of both) but the point I'm trying to head to is, although going full time has risks and rewards, I was surprised there appeared to be no ground work or plan for ever doing so. Particularly as we were potentially (and still are) sitting on a watmore sell on.

We had a great opportunity to break of the shackles off our wetness and fear and move forward. However, that's gone so we can only move forward as we are. But if going full time is what needs to done long term for us to grow then we have to grasp that. The weak and the cuckolded who are so fearful and think we should stay at conference north level with our current twee state need to give their heads a bit of a wobble.

I'd suggest if we want to improve our core base we should renconcile with the alienated long term supporters first.

Still, enough ranting, let's see what the board come up with

Jenga

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »

Are we changing our opinions on full time football? In many previous threads we have slated many teams who have gone full time and suggested they will be bust by Christmas etc etc. Yet now we are saying we must go full time?

The club, with recent additions to the board, seem to be making the right noises about the business side of the club. promoting the club and capitalising on revenue streams available to us. So perhaps the long term plan is to go full time? Personally i do believe it is the only way to go even in Conference National now, nevermind the football league.

I also see that comments made about consolidation are bewildering along with comments that Sinnots 20/20 was not acheiveable. Playing devils advocate, i believe that PP has ambition, the club wants to be in the National league, but in the same token if we say we are going to gain promotion and fail the board will be critisised when if we dont. I think a sensible approach is consolidate with hopes of promotion being there. But by saying consolidation it keeps the powder dry allowing us to over achieve rather than under achieving if we dont go up.

I hope for play offs next season, but realisitically top half for me would be a reasonable result, but not one i would be particularly happy with.

A lot of mixed feelings around at the moment, but either way we need to push on as much as we can and get this club back to where we belong and that is mid table National.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 06:37:30 PM »

Borehamwood, beaten twice by Altrincham the year we went down from the conference, and escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth. Took stock, learned from it, took proactive action and sit 90 minutes from the football league this evening. (Average gate 655). Anyone got a second hand lawnmower we can have?

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 07:15:54 PM »

Borehamwood, beaten twice by Altrincham the year we went down from the conference, and escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth. Took stock, learned from it, took proactive action and sit 90 minutes from the football league this evening. (Average gate 655). Anyone got a second hand lawnmower we can have?

Probably 400-450 ish home fans on average

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 08:05:33 PM »

Conf National was the norm not the ambitious expectation for Alty.
Let's get back to it and not be satisfied with mid table mediocrity in the Conference North.
The revenue from having people in the away end will be very useful.
You never know, we may even get a game on the telly.... ( Don't hold your breath on that one)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 09:16:07 PM »

When was conference national the norm? Before all the foreign players arrived and set up an International division. Conference north is the old conference.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 09:52:24 PM »

When was conference national the norm? Before all the foreign players arrived and set up an International division. Conference north is the old conference.

It's that sort of attitude that will see the club go stale.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 09:58:36 PM »

It's that sort of attitude that will see the club go stale.

Quite. The top half of this seasons Conference table had 5 what I would call traditional NL sides in it. The only thing that will hold us back is a failure of imagination and a risk averse culture.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 10:47:34 PM »

When we were the champions of non league football nearly 40 years ago, overseas players were practically non existent in English football. Now they're commonplace even in the National League.

There were 92 full time clubs then - there are more like 120 now. I know a handful of part time clubs get along OK at level 5, but basically the dividing line for our club is where it has always been : at the break point between full time and part time football.

As part timers we can realistically hope to make it into the National division. The hard part will always be staying there.

Remember how we scoffed when Boreham Wood went full time on gates of 400 ? Who's laughing now ? Patience is needed, because I'd rather continue as we are and still exist, than overreach and go down the pan.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 12:37:10 AM »

I get the impression that some folks would seem to be happy seeing us pottering about in the lower echelons of non league football with one man and his dog in the away end
We have coped in the national league before and can again.

It's called ambition ffs

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 09:38:18 AM »

I wouldn't call being serial relegation fodder for twenty years coping. Altrincham FC would need a massive overhaul of it's finances and infrastructure before being able to challenge for the National League.

Cider Alty

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 09:48:57 AM »

We need vision, ambition, charisma and an unquenchable thirst for getting into the football league (Also need deep pockets).  Danny Hunter, Borehamwood's chairman, has done a fantastic job so far. I wish we were in the same position as them.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 10:09:26 AM »

We need vision, ambition, charisma and an unquenchable thirst for getting into the football league (Also need deep pockets).  Danny Hunter, Borehamwood's chairman, has done a fantastic job so far. I wish we were in the same position as them.
Those deep pockets have to be full of moola though ! Hence my previously stated wish for a high profile FA Cup run this season.

Cider Alty

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »

Those deep pockets have to be full of moola though ! Hence my previously stated wish for a high profile FA Cup run this season.

Yes, that would be great, even a low profile FA cup run will do  - anything but another Shildon!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Full-time and proud?