PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Full-time and proud?
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Full-time and proud?  (Read 12992 times)

roytonmike

Re: Full-time and proud?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2018, 12:58:09 PM »

When we were the champions of non league football nearly 40 years ago, overseas players were practically non existent in English football. Now they're commonplace even in the National League.
There were 92 full time clubs then - there are more like 120 now. I know a handful of part time clubs get along OK at level 5, but basically the dividing line for our club is where it has always been : at the break point between full time and part time football.
As part timers we can realistically hope to make it into the National division. The hard part will always be staying there.
Remember how we scoffed when Boreham Wood went full time on gates of 400 ? Who's laughing now ? Patience is needed, because I'd rather continue as we are and still exist, than overreach and go down the pan.
A succinct and accurate summary of the position. To reach the National division is a realistic goal; to be solvent and extant is, however, my highest priority for the club.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 09:38:24 PM »

When we were the champions of non league football nearly 40 years ago, overseas players were practically non existent in English football. Now they're commonplace even in the National League.
There were 92 full time clubs then - there are more like 120 now. I know a handful of part time clubs get along OK at level 5, but basically the dividing line for our club is where it has always been : at the break point between full time and part time football.
As part timers we can realistically hope to make it into the National division. The hard part will always be staying there.
Remember how we scoffed when Boreham Wood went full time on gates of 400 ? Who's laughing now ? Patience is needed, because I'd rather continue as we are and still exist, than overreach and go down the pan.
A succinct and accurate summary of the position. To reach the National division is a realistic goal; to be solvent and extant is, however, my highest priority for the club.

It would be succinct and accurate if it wasn't total bollocks to be fair.

Does this influx of foreign players and expansion of full time clubs only affect Altrincham?? Is our line always to be drawn from whatever other people do? If Wythenshawe Town go full time do we happily sit back cuckolded while they rise above us and we settle down to our nice little level?

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2018, 11:05:42 PM »

Does this influx of foreign players and expansion of full time clubs only affect Altrincham?? Is our line always to be drawn from whatever other people do? If Wythenshawe Town go full time do we happily sit back cuckolded while they rise above us and we settle down to our nice little level?
Sorry Ballers, you're missing my point. The majority of players in Conference National these days would have been playing in League 2 (or the 4th Division) had we not introduced Johnny Foreigner and his pals into the English game on the back of obscene amounts of money being pumped into it.

The barrier for us was always traditionally the point where full time football ceased to be the norm, and players had other jobs outside the game. AND IT STILL IS !

Unfortunately the number of full time clubs has increased by about 30%, and we will struggle to break into the clique unless we go full time. Right now we don't have the money to do that, so we need to make it our biggest priority to attract extra finance.

Jezza

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 03:59:54 PM »

I agree the influx of foreigners almost created a new league and shifted everything one down....

So the national league N is the equivalent of the old APL .....and there are a few full time teams in that....probably at the top end not as high quality but bottom half a higher quality than the old APL stragglers...

The national league is very much the equivalent of the old div 4 and is probably a higher standard at the top end although the bottom half is probably similar standard.

As a part time team we should be striving to be the best which is probably bottom half national top 5 national north.....

So yes investment or clever plan/strategy required.

So everyone is right....group hug...

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 09:11:52 AM »

Sorry Ballers, you're missing my point. The majority of players in Conference National these days would have been playing in League 2 (or the 4th Division) had we not introduced Johnny Foreigner and his pals into the English game on the back of obscene amounts of money being pumped into it.

The barrier for us was always traditionally the point where full time football ceased to be the norm, and players had other jobs outside the game. AND IT STILL IS !

Unfortunately the number of full time clubs has increased by about 30%, and we will struggle to break into the clique unless we go full time. Right now we don't have the money to do that, so we need to make it our biggest priority to attract extra finance.

The change at the top level of football only affected us because we have not changed accordingly in order to at least maintain our position on the football ladder. We hold fast to the part-time model as team after team around us has found a way to go full-time or semi-full-time and flown past us.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Full-time and proud?