PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next season's squad
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: Next season's squad  (Read 26338 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Next season's squad
« on: April 30, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »

I am intrigued to the thoughts of the supporters moving forward with this squad.I am sure PP and Neil will be looking to commit players for next season sooner rather than later.

Just my opinion but I would retain:-

Defenders

Dens
Hampson
James Jones
Hannigan
Harrison
White ( he has very much improved, I would still have Hampson as first choice LB )

Midfield

Moult
Richman
Harrop
JJ
Peers

Forwards

Hancock (No.10)
Poole
Hulme

I can't fault Thompson's attitude and passion but he gives the ball back to the opposition far too often and next season we would be punished more. He can also have a rush of blood when coming off his line. Maybe keep him as a squad player and try to develop him but for me we defo need a new keeper.

I would give Miller and Taylor pre season. I would enquire about Merrie,the lad has potential.

I would release :

Heathcote ( did OK against Marine at centre back )
Amis
Omotola
Bailey-Jones ( busy player but not the best close control )

I haven't seen enough of the youth / reserve players but I don't think any,as of yet,would make the first 11.

I feel we are 5 or 6 players short of pushing for playoffs/promotion. Again just my opinion but I feel we are short in certain areas:-

Goalkeeper

Cover at RB

Tall athletic centre mid (not not necessarily to replace anyone)  

A wide player who is similar to JJ. Someone with pace who can go on the outside or inside of defenders. Both Peers and Hancock have done decent jobs in that role but maybe someone more natural in the wing position. Again not to currently replace anyone.

A striker to push Jordan who has been immense.

andrewflynn

Re: Next season's squad
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »

Don't forget we've got a network of scouts now. We've been having teams watched all season, so it wouldn't surprise me if Phil and Neil have pinpoints on exact players that they want. Anyone who comes in has to compliment the dressing room harmony. They're a very close bunch. On Saturday night you got the impression of a brotherhood amongst them, and that can't change. 2/3 additions, 4 at a push, and we go again.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »

Don't forget we've got a network of scouts now. We've been having teams watched all season, so it wouldn't surprise me if Phil and Neil have pinpoints on exact players that they want. Anyone who comes in has to compliment the dressing room harmony. They're a very close bunch. On Saturday night you got the impression of a brotherhood amongst them, and that can't change. 2/3 additions, 4 at a push, and we go again.

Yeah I think they will have an idea. PP has created an unreal team spirit,it is clear to see. Already so excited about next season.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:13:55 PM by oneedham »

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 05:03:00 PM »

I heard on the grapevine TT is signed up for next season. Nor to say another keeper wont come in as well.

Personally i would release Peers, at best let him come to Pre-season.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 05:36:27 PM »

Would only be letting Heathcote, Miller go. No idea who Otomola is. Think Amiss has gone. I'd keep Thompson without a shadow of doubt. Obviously we need another keeper.

Really hope we keep hold of Hannigan but sign another cb as cover.

Need a cm, Merrie on a season long loan would be ideal. Would give Taylor the preseason.

Definitely need an out and out winger and striker.
Full time and proud of it

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »

Peers has done more than enough to stay.

We don't desperately need a right back, with White and Richman both able to cover there.

On the subject of wingers, I think we should be going back to try and get Elliot Newby again - simple as that.

And if Warrington don't come up, could we do much worse than tempting Sean Williams back?

In terms of forwards, I suspect there might be one or two released by Salford who might be worth a look.

Where is Chris Senior these days?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:35:47 PM by MarpleAlty »

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 07:21:20 PM »

I would release only Heathcote of the players who were here in the last quarter of the season.

Omotola scored for Loughborough on Saturday, but I seriously doubt he's good enough for the higher level.

I'd try both Miller and Taylor in pre-season.

Merrie won't be released by Wigan, who quite correctly rate him highly. It would be brilliant if we could get him back on loan, but they'd insist he featured regularly - not exactly a given.

We need another keeper to keep TT on his toes, a backup striker (if Hulme got injured we'd be in trouble), and an additional midfielder for cover.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 07:29:59 PM »

I agree with most of what has been said i don think 2 or 3 new faces is enough more five or six.As the subject of ex players often crops up and we could do with cover at rb and maybe cb,  Scott Leather ?,highly rated central midfilelders who might be available include steve Irwin from fc and Winter at County
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:10:36 PM by Timperley The Best »

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »

I tend to agree with One Foot in the Grave with the priority being to get another goalkeeper who can compete with Tony Thompson.

I would hope that,  given both Wigan Athletic and ourselves have been promoted, that we could get Chris Merrie on a long loan; he has impressed me the most of the late season signings.

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 07:57:59 PM »

Poole is a much much better No10 than Hancock, who has many games for me where he tends to go missing. I’m not criticising Josh, after all he had an excellent goal return over the season...but James Poole is a class act and we will need his guile and passing ability to open up the better defences in the National North. I don’t see Josh as having that ability...but it’s all about opinions.

I’d agree that we need another midfielder having lost Chris Merrie, and definitely need another striker for back up for Jordan. The keeper is a given....young Elliot Wynne who played for Abbey Hey against us, and who turned out for Lancaster ( on loan from Fylde) would be worth looking at.

Defensively we look sound, though the suggestion of Scott Leather is a good one, I guess it depends if Chorley go up through the play offs as to whether he would consider coming back.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 08:01:01 PM »

I agree with most of what has been said i don think 3 or 3 new faces is enough more five or six.As the subject of ex players often crops up and we could do with cover at rb and maybe cb,  Scott Leather ?,highly rated central midfilelders who might be available include steve Irwin from fc and Winter at County

I thought about Scott Leather and Sean Williams would be decent. I rated him when we first had him. I remember watching one first half in the conference and he ran the show.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 08:38:18 PM »

Didn't Leather get a massive pay rise to go to Chorley, and isn't he a key player for them? I notice their gates have dropped since they first arrived at NLN level, maybe their spending power isn't what it used to be (or are they well backed?) - him and Harrison would be immense, and that's assuming Hannigan can't play 42 games a season.

Perhaps a more realistic backup might be Luca, while we're on the subject of ex-players. Alty must be more local than BPA for him.

Elliott Newby would be my personal number one target.

andrewflynn

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 08:43:38 PM »

Didn't Leather get a massive pay rise to go to Chorley, and isn't he a key player for them? I notice their gates have dropped since they first arrived at NLN level, maybe their spending power isn't what it used to be (or are they well backed?) - him and Harrison would be immense, and that's assuming Hannigan can't play 42 games a season.

Perhaps a more realistic backup might be Luca, while we're on the subject of ex-players. Alty must be more local than BPA for him.

Elliott Newby would be my personal number one target.

Boy would Newby fit in with us.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 09:22:14 PM »

Sean Williams and Luca Havern? Not for me.

Elliott Newby would be a great signing.

Didn't Leather go for an extra £25 s week?
Full time and proud of it

Jezza

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 09:31:57 PM »

Ive been thinking about this long and hard and have come to the conclusion PP has a really difficult task.

I really don't think there is a huge leap in standard just in consistency of quality.....that will be mitigated by the fact I believe the Conf N will suit our football much better....

I think Peers would get 10 goals just off the bench and standing in...Hancock and Poole close to 20...Jordan will get 20...JJ will get close to 20

Will Jake Simon and Max between them sort our midfield?...I think so...while simon can cover RB

I love Thommo and it is obvious he loves Alty and is brilliant for team spirit but can see how a really good commanding keeper would give us unbeatability.

I'd go for a top winger who can play both sides as well...another JJ ....

If Sam is happy to stay keep him and loan him out...he's been in and out and has yet to consolidate his own true position let alone get a run....he could yet come good he's still learning....and if he does well on loan maybe that club will buy him?

Scott Leather back?...NO!.....Luca bacvk?....NO!

In conclusion a keeper a winger and maybe a Paul Ellender box to box controlling scoring midfielder....

I actually think we could win this league....play offs minimum.....PP is a winner!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next season's squad