PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next season's squad
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Next season's squad  (Read 26547 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Next season's squad
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 11:13:33 PM »

We need two more strikers - Hardy and Newby would be awesome.
On what I saw at Buxton, Hardy is overrated.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 07:01:06 AM »

Hulme, Shaw and Hardy were the best number 9s in the Evostik. Whether or not any of them would adapt to the higher level is of course debatable. I'd give a little shout for Jordan Cover at Atherton Colls, but not sure if his work commitments would make it difficult.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:03:03 AM by Alty Bri »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 08:21:25 AM »

As has been previously mentioned I suspect a lot of these players might even be better in the NLN - we're not as much of a scalp and hopefully pitches (and the weather) will be better too. A lot of these players have done well at this level before, especially the former Salford lads and Peers was very well regarded by Chester and that was at National level.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »

Hulme, Shaw and Hardy were the best number 9s in the Evostik. Whether or not any of them would adapt to the higher level is of course debatable. I'd give a little shout for Jordan Cover at Atherton Colls, but not sure if his work commitments would make it difficult.

I think it's fair to say Jordan proved himself at Conf North level with Salford, he was offered a f/t contract after all. I'm sure clubs in that league would've snapped him up but for our contacts - remember he, James Poole and JJ all played in their play-off semi vs Halifax last season. Shaw looked a decent player to me and is available.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 02:53:44 PM by JTH »

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2018, 01:17:52 PM »

When do you think we will start to hear of who's released/retained etc? New signings?

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2018, 02:27:04 PM »

This squad have earned the right to have a go at playing at the level above and I think that the majority will step up a league with no problems at all. Id expect the lads out on loan to leave permanently, but id bring in no more than 3 players to a well balanced squad of players. Its quality more than quantity this time around, which is great news. A top drawer midfielder would be my number 1 target.

andrewflynn

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2018, 02:34:07 PM »

I think they've earned the right to not be speculated over, as well.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »

Got to agree that they all deserve a chance at the higher level.

Disruption will come if we get into the national league or decide to go full time. Both might require some players to make difficult choices.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2018, 05:15:09 PM »

I think they've earned the right to not be speculated over, as well.

I understand where you are coming from but there are at least 5 that we could release without impacting on the squad. We will need to strengthen to compete, as we haven't quite got the strength in-depth.
I think you run a risk if you don't bring in targets for pre season because that is when observations and bonding can be made.
You leave it 5 or 6 games in and we realise we need more quality or back up in certain areas we could find ourselves with an instant uphill battle.
Some are not good enough so just replace with quality if the budget allows.
We 100% need a keeper ( even if it's just back-up),striker because if Hulme gets injured we are already struggling, a dominant athletic centre mid ( box to box )and an extra winger. I feel these positions must be at least covered before or during pre season.
We must be prepared, quality in-depth and fit before the first league game in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:18:23 PM by oneedham »

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2018, 06:40:33 PM »

To have any chance challenging for a league at this level you need at least 4 or 5 players who are clearly a class above the league they are in. We had that this season. So I’d say we need to drop quite a few, including those who have the talent, but are not up to the physical challenges of National North, and bring in around 8 or 9.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2018, 08:02:41 PM »

To have any chance challenging for a league at this level you need at least 4 or 5 players who are clearly a class above the league they are in. We had that this season. So I’d say we need to drop quite a few, including those who have the talent, but are not up to the physical challenges of National North, and bring in around 8 or 9.

Thank God you're not the manager.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2018, 08:50:09 PM »

I'd keep the majority of the squad together as team spirit is valuable. The only additions I'd make are to bring a bit more quality in to replace any outgoing players. Deasy has retired and a second keeper is important to keep TT on his toes. Merrie has returned to Wigan so we need an extra midfielder and I'd release Heathcote and Amiss and bring in a quality winger and a striker to compete with Jordan.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2018, 10:14:50 PM »

Warrington are out now - despite what others say, I'd happily take Williams back, and what about Tony Gray as backup to Jordan?

Bath Alty

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2018, 10:23:08 PM »

Pretty much agree, keep all the players who played a decent number of games this year, release Sam (sorry) and Bailly-Jones and those who went out on loan.

Essential Targets:
Striker - a squad with one recognised striker is well short, would be happy to keep Jordan as first choice
Keeper - ditto keeper, but would rather genuine competition for TT or even new first choice - distribution and rush of blood moments are too frequent for me

Secondary targets:
CM replace Merrie in the squad - competing with Moult and Richman first choice is what we need, not necessarily a step up from these two, Harrop to come on from bench
Winger replace Miller in the squad - if he's first choice great but a front four of JH, JJ, JP, JH is pretty good so another impact sub alongside Peers would be enough
Striker - a squad really needs three strikers although how much game time the 3rd choice will get will be an issue playing one up top if Jordan stays fit again - could get away with knowing about some viable loan targets in case of injury

I'd rather spend the budget on the first two and then see what's left for the others.  Defence is probably OK - 3 good full backs and 3 good CB in the squad with additional cover from Si and Jake if we get injury hit again, feels OK.

In terms of personnel mentioned, Leather - yes (but not a priority area), Luca -No, Grantham keeper definitely, team of the season keeper and played well against us at theirs but suspect distance will be an issue

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2018, 08:00:53 AM »

Rankine as supersub
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next season's squad