PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Talking about investment...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: Talking about investment...  (Read 36648 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Talking about investment...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 02:22:03 PM »

Berman, Lloyd and Maunders went to war in court. And why can’t we have a backer or two if sh*t like borehamwood can? Which is incidental sandwiched between two premier league clubs, one that attracts 60,000 and one that is cheap to watch

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 02:31:27 PM »

We had people fighting in court over ownership of alty...
When ownership was possible....
Look at all those clubs listed above and realise what i mean by we are a good investment...not least because the money goes straight into the club not to a shareholder...we are a cracking club ready for immediate progress...
Ill bet someone invests in gateshead dagenham and the other one in trouble....and i bet they wont make a percentage yield on their money....
Meanwhile sla owner continues to invest...

It would help if you had your facts right,... nobody has been fighting in court over ownership to my knowledge.

Ian,

I'm surprised that you have already forgotten the considerable boardroom turmoil at the club during the latter stages of the 1988/89 season.

As I recall, there were two opposing factions bidding for control of the club and the dispute involved some high-level legal shenanigans.

Indeed, there seemed to be a period when we had a different chairman each week, dependent upon who had launched the latest legal missile.

In the blue corner were Gerry Berman and Leonard Rosenfield and the red corner was occupied by Geoff Lloyd, Gary Corbett and John Maunders.

The latter alliance eventually proved to be triumphant.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »

.....Mr Rowley got his sizeable chunk of shares for nothing (unless someone can show me his investment in the books) so I will ask him, what he and the board asked STAR....why do you neeed more than one share Mr Rowley?

I'm curious - given all the shares were in issue at the time (circa 2002) - which books would this transaction appear in.  The normal share transaction would be person A sells their shareholding to person B, for whatever price both parties agree on, nothing to do with Altrincham FC books at all ?

I'd also challenge the "sizeable chunk" - as at the last return GR having 5% of Altrincham FC ?

andrewflynn

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 02:41:11 PM »

Look at all those clubs listed above and realise what i mean by we are a good investment...not least because the money goes straight into the club not to a shareholder...we are a cracking club ready for immediate progress...
Ill bet someone invests in gateshead dagenham and the other one in trouble....and i bet they wont make a percentage yield on their money....

It would help if you had your facts right,... nobody has been fighting in court over ownership to my knowledge.

Alty are NOT an attractive investment in purely financial terms, clearly 20 years of not attracting any is sufficient proof of that !

Most of the clubs listed have had some form of major income from an owner(s) who could afford to spend spare money without any real prospect of getting it back.
In many cases millions, the few that have done it organically werent located 5 miles from the biggest club in the world and 7 miles from the wealthiest one.

You could have the best restaurant in the world, but if the doors are always closed then you won't attract a single customer.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »

Who'd Buy a Club Like Alty?

1. Football Benefactor - see Macc Town.

2. Asset Stripper - normally lends £££s to the club secured against the ground. Call the loan in, land sold off to repay loan to new ground / ground share / go bust. We don't own the ground but have an 80 year lease with a restrictive covenant but now have a charity as a tenant. Complicated so not attractive.

3. Vanity Project - see AFC Fylde or AQUAFORCE

4. Business Hybrid - see Fleetwood or FGR- redevelop ground as business HQ and/or use football club as marketing vehicle for business and vice versa.

5. 'Altrincham Reboot' - link the club with renaissance of the town and it's businesses (back to White & Swales?) see Sutton, Bromley.

Any more?

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 03:56:26 PM »

Ian,

I'm surprised that you have already forgotten the considerable boardroom turmoil at the club during the latter stages of the 1988/89 season.
As I recall, there were two opposing factions bidding for control of the club and the dispute involved some high-level legal shenanigans.
Indeed, there seemed to be a period when we had a different chairman each week, dependent upon who had launched the latest legal missile.
In the blue corner were Gerry Berman and Leonard Rosenfield and the red corner was occupied by Geoff Lloyd, Gary Corbett and John Maunders.
The latter alliance eventually proved to be triumphant.

Thats ancient history, 30 years ago, but thanks for reminding me, I must admit I thought the post was referring to the more recent feeble attempts to extract money from us by GB in recent times.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 04:00:14 PM »

Alty are NOT an attractive investment in purely financial terms, clearly 20 years of not attracting any is sufficient proof of that !
Most of the clubs listed have had some form of major income from an owner(s) who could afford to spend spare money without any real prospect of getting it back.
In many cases millions, the few that have done it organically werent located 5 miles from the biggest club in the world and 7 miles from the wealthiest one.

You could have the best restaurant in the world, but if the doors are always closed then you won't attract a single customer.

You imply the club has not been trying to find investment over the last 20 years, completely the opposite is true as I know from personal experience.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 04:01:48 PM »

Who'd Buy a Club Like Alty?

1. Football Benefactor - see Macc Town.

2. Asset Stripper - normally lends £££s to the club secured against the ground. Call the loan in, land sold off to repay loan to new ground / ground share / go bust. We don't own the ground but have an 80 year lease with a restrictive covenant but now have a charity as a tenant. Complicated so not attractive.

3. Vanity Project - see AFC Fylde or AQUAFORCE

4. Business Hybrid - see Fleetwood or FGR- redevelop ground as business HQ and/or use football club as marketing vehicle for business and vice versa.

5. 'Altrincham Reboot' - link the club with renaissance of the town and it's businesses (back to White & Swales?) see Sutton, Bromley.

Any more?

The fans.

andrewflynn

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 04:08:23 PM »

You imply the club has not been trying to find investment over the last 20 years, completely the opposite is true as I know from personal experience.

Someone had to attend the Q&A and literally ask why no one had responded to him (re. enquiry to purchase shares.)

andrewflynn

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »

Someone had to attend the Q&A and literally ask why no one had responded to him (re. enquiry to purchase shares.)

"I'd just like to ask a question about the share issue... I certainly made a few noises to certain people around the club and said 'look, I'd like to give some money to the club.' It's actually been quite hard to get some traction."

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »

If you or someone you know wants to give some money to the club, thats great,.. all he/she needs to do is ring or email the club. Standing around making noises isnt the best means of communicating ;) ::)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 08:43:35 PM »

He did email the club, and those charged with selling it, he got no response and had to come to the public meeting to ask why...

Matt Taylor

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 08:53:32 PM »

So, in this ‘personal experience’ of yours Foden, what did we have to offer these people over the past 20 years when we made all this effort to attract investment into the club? Half a page in the program? A horse in the race-night? Sponsorship of Gary Scott’s socks? It seems very peculiar to me that we would have made so much effort to attract investment/investors over that period, but have suddenly became so shy now we actually have something tangible to offer people...
It’s not limited to Pete’s earlier list either, almost every club above us in the football pecking order has managed to attract these people to buy into their clubs (hence why they have moved above us while we stood still), so the idea that they don’t exist doesn’t ring true.

I understand that dinosaurs like yourself have more than enough Alty memories of your own (from when we used to be good) in the football w@nk bank to keep you smiling until the grave - incidentally, from a period where when we were actually proactive about attracting investment into the club, and not more concerned with protecting one man’s retirement hobby. But that is no excuse for you, or anyone else for that matter, sucking the ambition out of the club for the next generation of fans who follow.

andrewflynn

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »

If you or someone you know wants to give some money to the club, thats great,.. all he/she needs to do is ring or email the club. Standing around making noises isnt the best means of communicating ;) ::)

He had received no response to his enquiry.

I did state that pretty clearly. Perhaps you overlooked it in your hastiness to patronise?  ;)   ::)

andrewflynn

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 09:26:38 PM »

The gentleman in question has since bought a nice amount of shares with view to a further purchase as he continues to get a feel for the club.

He’s local, he’s clearly skilled in his line of work and he’s enthusiastic. I’m not clued up on how shares work to tell you the truth, but we’ve got an opportunity now to get more and more people like this into the club. Surely a shareholder meeting would then serve a much more constructive purpose if it was attended by people with a bit of clout? How many of our shareholders even express an interest at the moment?

Don’t let anyone tell you they aren’t out there. This doesn’t need to be some needle in a haystack mission to find one Russian billionaire who’s moving to Bowdon.

Take it from someone who’s dealt with these enquiries via the club’s social media. We haven’t even campaigned to find these people but we’ve still had a few messages from interesting types. Imagine what we could unearth if we actually wanted to attract interest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Talking about investment...