PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favourite grounds .
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Favourite grounds .  (Read 14496 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite grounds .
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 01:24:43 PM »

Point of Order for the Grounds committee:

1) Is the New Bucks Head a different ground to the old one, given it occupies the same site?
2) More optimistically, is the New Wembley a different ground to the old one?

Next years new grounds for me are Bradford Park Avenue, Chester, Guiseley, Hereford, Spennymoor, plus maybe Telford

And I have home matches at Brackley and Leamington (M40 dash!) and Hereford (Direct train from Slough).

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 02:02:57 PM »

1) Is the New Bucks Head a different ground to the old one, given it occupies the same site?

Next years new grounds for me are Bradford Park Avenue, Chester, Guiseley, Hereford, Spennymoor, plus maybe Telford

And I have home matches at Brackley and Leamington (M40 dash!) and Hereford (Direct train from Slough).

Same site is same ground for me. Old Trafford today is unrecognisable from 30 years ago, but it isn't a different venue.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »

I think it depends if the pitch hasn't changed.then its the same ground but if rotated 90 degrees then its different

Same site is same ground for me. Old Trafford today is unrecognisable from 30 years ago, but it isn't a different venue.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »

Kiddy worth going to for the food alone, best Cottage Pie in the universe.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 04:41:54 PM »

It might look very different, but there are still elements of the ground that haven't changed much over that period, e.g. the South Stand.

Physical continuity is the important issue. If a house has been standing on the same spot for 500 years, but it is knocked down and rebuilt every 100 hundred years, the house standing there now is clearly not the same one as that was there 500 years ago. Despite the fact that it is in exactly the same location as the house 500 years ago.

A complete rebuild is a new ground in my view, as there is no physical continuity with the ground other than its location.

Clearly there could be difficult issues concerning a ground where 99.9% of it has changed but they've kept some old turnstiles or something.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 05:48:19 PM »

It might look very different, but there are still elements of the ground that haven't changed much over that period, e.g. the South Stand.

Physical continuity is the important issue. If a house has been standing on the same spot for 500 years, but it is knocked down and rebuilt every 100 hundred years, the house standing there now is clearly not the same one as that was there 500 years ago. Despite the fact that it is in exactly the same location as the house 500 years ago.

A complete rebuild is a new ground in my view, as there is no physical continuity with the ground other than its location.

Clearly there could be difficult issues concerning a ground where 99.9% of it has changed but they've kept some old turnstiles or something.

Re: The Buck's Head. The more modern of the old two seated stands is still there, but has been converted to offices with a paddock terrace. So Bill, as self appointed arbiter you are NOT entitled to a new notch. More generally I have to disagree with Jimmy re: a complete rebuild occupying 100% the same site, if only because it would make '3 times to Wembley' redundant. You have to think these things through.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 05:59:23 PM »

Re: The Buck's Head. The more modern of the old two seated stands is still there, but has been converted to offices with a paddock terrace. So Bill, as self appointed arbiter you are NOT entitled to a new notch. More generally I have to disagree with Jimmy re: a complete rebuild occupying 100% the same site, if only because it would make '3 times to Wembley' redundant. You have to think these things through.

It wouldn't make it redundant though, it's still true.

Both these statements are true, and not contradictory:

Altrincham have played at Wembley three times.
The New Wembley stadium is a different stadium from the old Wembley Stadium.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 06:11:27 PM »

We’ve been once, twice, three times to Wembley!
But let’s not get in to which one!

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 06:15:47 PM »

It wouldn't make it redundant though, it's still true.

Both these statements are true, and not contradictory:

Altrincham have played at Wembley three times.
The New Wembley stadium is a different stadium from the old Wembley Stadium.

from the song [last line]

'And it looks like we're going AGAIN'

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/again

i.e. Implying to return to the same place, not a new place.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 06:22:27 PM »

We’ve been once, twice, three times to Wembley!
But let’s not get in to which one!

I like this version, perhaps it could be sung alternatively along with the original. You sharpening your pencil for next year's Eurovsion?

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »

from the song [last line]

'And it looks like we're going AGAIN'

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/again

i.e. Implying to return to the same place, not a new place.

Ha! Fair enough.

Well, I still maintain they're different grounds so it looks like we'll have to sacrifice the song. ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:48:59 PM by Jimmy Hill »

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »

New venues for me are potentially Spennymoor, Darlington, York, and Hereford. I haven't been to FCUM, and won't be doing unless it's crucial.

I may also skip three other grounds I'm not keen on : Bradford PA, Boston, and Brackley.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 11:27:53 PM »

I would agree with Toff Apple that it depends on the pitch, as that is surely the point of a football ground. If it's extended or reduced by a metre or so, that makes no difference, but if the pitch is realigned, that counts as a new one in my opinion, and I believe Wembley's pitch is at an angle now to what it was at our last (?) visit in 1986.
 Each to their own though, and unless we have a competition as to who has been to the most grounds and someone claims a prize on the basis of counting the Buck's Head and New Buck's Head as two separate grounds, you can choose to count what you want, as I am sure people will.
Darlington will be the only new ground for me, although different clubs play at Spennymoor and Hereford since our last visit, so I am very keen to visit all three.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 01:19:21 AM »

Wembley to me was the twin towers not this tarted up white elephant stadium it is now. I am probably in the minority but I would rather the FA Trophy Final be held at Villa Park and the Conference play off Final be held at somewhere like Stoke
They really should be beating teams like us

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 08:12:19 AM »

Its a bit like when someone gets a patch of turf for a memento, at the end of the day a lot of pitches are completely relayed.
Like the irish tale,
I've had this spade in our family for 7 generations, its had 3 new handles and 4 new heads.
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favourite grounds .