PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Intertoto Cup Draw:- Isle of Man Away 🇮🇲
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Intertoto Cup Draw:- Isle of Man Away 🇮🇲  (Read 10730 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 29, 2018, 06:52:49 AM »

Bill Waterson, Altrincham FC director, announces that "We will be playing the Isle of Man representative side, in Douglas, on Saturday 14th July, with a 5pm kick off. Steam Packet Holidays can sort out ferry and hotel options, and are quoting £95 per person including one night accomodation. Our contact there is Catreeney Denham, and she can be reached either on 01624 645777 or by e-mail.
There are also flight options with the 07:20 Easyjet flight from Liverpool currently being the cheapest. Flybe also offer flights from Liverpool, and there are also flights from Manchester, which tend to be more expensive. For the southern based fans, there is a good EasyJet flight from Gatwick, or a BA alternative from London City".

andrewflynn

Re: Intertoto Cup Draw:- Isle of Man Away 🇮🇲
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:01:19 AM »

Get da beers in.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:10:17 AM »

Gutted. I've been waiting for a pre season fixture like this for years but I go on holiday that day  :'(

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »

Unlucky!

It's a busy summer for the Isle of Man, as they are also competing (as Ellan Vannin) in the CONIFA World Cup for "independent football associations" in the south east of England.

Looking at their squad for that tournament, the vast majority are based on the island, but one player is from Bottesford Town in the Northern Counties East League, and I know one or two readers will be interested to see that Seamus Sharkey is a Sligo Rovers player.

http://www.conifa.org/en/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Paddy-Power-CONIFA-WFC-2018-Team-List-Ellan-Vannin-180517.pdf

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »

Unlucky!

It's a busy summer for the Isle of Man, as they are also competing (as Ellan Vannin) in the CONIFA World Cup for "independent football associations" in the south-east of England.

Looking at their squad for that tournament, the vast majority are based on the island, but one player is from Bottesford Town in the Northern Counties East League, and I know one or two readers will be interested to see that Seamus Sharkey is a Sligo Rovers player.

http://www.conifa.org/en/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Paddy-Power-CONIFA-WFC-2018-Team-List-Ellan-Vannin-180517.pdf

I believe they're two different sides - Ellan Vannin are an unofficial team and not recognised by FA, but tolerated. I think because the Isle of Man has aspirations of following Gibraltar into European competitions

It's all my fault.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 01:32:55 PM »

Unlucky!

It's a busy summer for the Isle of Man, as they are also competing (as Ellan Vannin) in the CONIFA World Cup for "independent football associations" in the south-east of England.

I believe they're two different sides - Ellan Vannin are an unofficial team and not recognised by FA, but tolerated. I think because the Isle of Man has aspirations of following Gibraltar into European competitions

I suspect some of the same players may play in both, but, after looking into it, you are right, they are two different teams, and the Isle of Man representative side only select players from the Isle of Man League, so the two I mentioned won't be involved. When Ellan Vannin played Yorkshire recently, I heard something about the Yorkshire players resigning from their clubs before the game, then rejoining them afterwards, so they didn't play against an unrecognised association while being a member of a club subject to the FA. As the Ellan Vannin players all play for Isle of Man FA clubs, they may do likewise?

I think those aspirations of following Gibraltar have been blocked  as FIFA/UEFA  no longer allow dependent territories to join, but those already in, such as Gibraltar, can remain.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »

Unlucky!

It's a busy summer for the Isle of Man, as they are also competing (as Ellan Vannin) in the CONIFA World Cup for "independent football associations" in the south east of England.

Good spot, sir!!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 02:16:20 PM »

Unlucky!

I suspect some of the same players may play in both, but, after looking into it, you are right, they are two different teams, and the Isle of Man representative side only select players from the Isle of Man League, so the two I mentioned won't be involved. When Ellan Vannin played Yorkshire recently, I heard something about the Yorkshire players resigning from their clubs before the game, then rejoining them afterwards, so they didn't play against an unrecognised association while being a member of a club subject to the FA. As the Ellan Vannin players all play for Isle of Man FA clubs, they may do likewise?

I think those aspirations of following Gibraltar have been blocked  as FIFA/UEFA  no longer allow dependent territories to join, but those already in, such as Gibraltar, can remain.

I can imagine that the Yorkshire player that was most twitchy about getting involved in that process was Callum Charlton. :o

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 05:40:04 PM »

Anyone know where the ground is on the Isle of Man?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 06:00:50 PM »

The island  representative team's usual venue is The Bowl, on Pulrose Road, on the south west side of Douglas. It's a 3000 seat all seater stadium, with one side covered, and a plastic pitch.

andrewflynn

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »

I've not heard anything to say that it won't be played at The Bowl.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »

The island  representative team's usual venue is The Bowl, on Pulrose Road, on the south west side of Douglas. It's a 3000 seat all seater stadium, with one side covered, and a plastic pitch.
The Douglas Bowl has a good 4G pitch It was an excellent playing surface a couple of years ago when the Ladies played the IOM women's team.
They really should be beating teams like us

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »

Rare to look forward to a friendly, but very much looking forward to it.

When I booked last week we were already booking up a second hotel. Granted there may not have been many spaces in the first once, but still sounds like there’s plenty of Robins visiting.
It's all my fault.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 05:20:05 PM »

Rare to look forward to a friendly, but very much looking forward to it.

When I booked last week we were already booking up a second hotel. Granted there may not have been many spaces in the first once, but still sounds like there’s plenty of Robins visiting.

It sounds as if it's shaping up to be our own rather curious version of Love Island.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Iateallthepies

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 11:07:14 PM »

I thought the intertwobob  cup was disbanded a few years ago.
Do the winners get into the Europa league then?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team