PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Question from the Archives
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question from the Archives  (Read 9421 times)

bighairedmike

« on: June 28, 2018, 10:11:32 PM »

Does anyone know anything about a Steve Cropper that played for us, possibly Johnny Kings last season and the following one?

Any help much appreciated.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Question from the Archives
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 12:06:17 AM »

Loads of people say they played for Alty on a night out after a few beers to impress a girl ,but maybe he did

bighairedmike

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 06:42:23 AM »

Loads of people say they played for Alty on a night out after a few beers to impress a girl ,but maybe he did

Yeah, thanks for that mate.

Any other help would be most appreciated.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »

Mike,

That name isn't ringing any bells for me as regards the annals of former Altrincham FC players.

The only Steve Cropper that I've heard of is the esteemed guitarist in Booker T. & The M.G.s.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 06:38:09 PM »

I'm struggling to imagine the type of lady that would be impressed by that!
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 06:38:24 PM »

Time is tight/Green Onions

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

I'm struggling to imagine the type of lady that would be impressed by that!

;D

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 07:42:09 PM »

Colleague at work saw my car sticker and told me his brother Mick Moore play for us and Wigan and finished in the USA

Also work with Stu Scheuber who I can remember at Alty
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 09:03:14 PM »

One of my friends did work with Michael Twiss after his career with us, and the latter was quite proud of his spell at Moss Lane  and would go on about some wonder goal he scored.

On the other hand , I did know someone who worked with John Rogers and assumed that the stories of his goalscoring exploits and successes were all lies and nonsense. No, they were all true, I could tell him.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 09:07:49 PM »

Colleague at work saw my car sticker and told me his brother Mick Moore play for us and Wigan and finished in the USA

Mick Moore was a striker who I think came through the reserves. I don't think he played too many games.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »

Mick Moore was a striker who I think came through the reserves. I don't think he played too many games.

There were two Mick or Mike Moores who played for us. You are thinking of one who played as a young player around 1996-97, but Mick (this is confusing) is thinking of the one who played for us in the seventies and has his own Wikipedia entry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Moore

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 11:21:01 PM »

One of my friends did work with Michael Twiss after his career with us, and the latter was quite proud of his spell at Moss Lane  and would go on about some wonder goal he scored.

On the other hand , I did know someone who worked with John Rogers and assumed that the stories of his goalscoring exploits and successes were all lies and nonsense. No, they were all true, I could tell him.

Are you sure Michael Twiss didn't say he wondered if he'd scored a goal for Alty?

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 11:24:17 PM »

There were two Mick or Mike Moores who played for us. You are thinking of one who played as a young player around 1996-97, but Mick (this is confusing) is thinking of the one who played for us in the seventies and has his own Wikipedia entry.

The one whose missed penalty against Scarborough in extra time of the Trophy replay at Rotherham arguably cost us a trip to Wembley.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »

Twissy. was more of an authority on the pies than scoring goals ☹️

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »

The one whose missed penalty against Scarborough in extra time of the Trophy replay at Rotherham arguably cost us a trip to Wembley.

Mickey Moore was signed by Les Rigby and was a more than decent forward but never really produced the form expected of him and will inevitably always be remembered for that penalty miss. Ironically replaced JR at Wigan for the start of 77-8, after the latter came to Alty via Port Vale having left the Latics earlier in the year.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team