Poll

Should we go full time

Yes
- 25 (67.6%)
No
- 12 (32.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Full time football  (Read 5734 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Full time football
« on: July 02, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »

Great to see full time football being discussed by the club. A transition that should have been made 10 years ago. If it can work at Accrington Bromley and Morecambe it can work here with a big bigger broader board and more investment. Do people think we should go full time next season if we can secure more investment? It’s a resounding yes from me, it’s the only way to compete

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Full time football
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 01:26:22 PM »

The key words in Pete's post are "more investment". Given that not-so-small item, it's a no-brainer.

andrewflynn

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »

Absolutely we need to - but there's more to it than just the lads training Monday to Friday. The whole landscape of the club has to make the step up. Are we capable of doing so? Given investment doesn't appear to be being sought after, I would say that any step up we make is going to be self funded.

Full-time playing and coaching staff are going to need a full-time behind the scenes operation to support them. Marketing, laundry, events, commercial, catering, ground work... The list is huge. We can't go full-time if it's going to be supported by volunteers and raffles. Luckily I think we're now starting to turn this massive old oil tanker in a better direction, though. Interesting few years ahead.

Ian J

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »

Absolutely we need to - but there's more to it than just the lads training Monday to Friday. The whole landscape of the club has to make the step up. Are we capable of doing so? Given investment doesn't appear to be being sought after, I would say that any step up we make is going to be self funded.

Full-time playing and coaching staff are going to need a full-time behind the scenes operation to support them. Marketing, laundry, events, commercial, catering, ground work... The list is huge. We can't go full-time if it's going to be supported by volunteers and raffles. Luckily I think we're now starting to turn this massive old oil tanker in a better direction, though. Interesting few years ahead.

This exactly- if everyone involved in the day-to-day operation of the Club, both on match-days and non-match-days, can step up, then it's do-able. That said, we would still need a greater footfall on the terraces to make it count. For me, it's chicken-and-egg: you can't go full-time with the crowds we've got, but we can't increase the crowds we've got without going full-time.

I think we've got to "suck it and see". Try it for two seasons and see what the result is...

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 02:25:29 PM »

I think we've got to "suck it and see". Try it for two seasons and see what the result is...

Err,.. bankrupcy !

I am all in favour of FT football, its the only way the club can progress on the field long term,.. but it has to be well planned and affordable without making us go bust.
I accept that to some degree, the success will depend on how well we do, crowds are a huge part of the equation, maybe thats what Ian J was meaning,.. ?

But starting from where we ar now, I think most serious people will realise this would only be possible now with some serious external investment and thats what we have struggled for years to get.

Ian J

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »

Err,.. bankrupcy !

I am all in favour of FT football, its the only way the club can progress on the field long term,.. but it has to be well planned and affordable without making us go bust.
I accept that to some degree, the success will depend on how well we do, crowds are a huge part of the equation, maybe thats what Ian J was meaning,.. ?

Thought that might have been obvious... But for the sake of clarity, that's exactly what I was meaning. I'm not for one minute suggesting we take the "if-it-works-then-great-but-if-it-doesn't-then-we're-doomed" approach...

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 03:49:54 PM »

Unless an investor comes in or Duncan goes to another club maybe the best we could do would be a Stockport County style part  full time ie training three or four   times a week

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »

Err,.. bankrupcy !

That would be a complete disaster, we’d probably end up in evostick league

Cider Alty

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 10:09:09 PM »

It could work - if we had the right leadership off field and every single Alty fan getting behind the club and doing their best to attract new Alty fans. Like a sort of cult   ;) yeah

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 03:04:55 PM »

yes....on a one or two season trial basis to be reviewed and strictly costed and budgeted....

My hope is that gates will go up and there would be a resultant cup run or two and maybe promotion funding the next two years.....

Our aim this season should be competing for the play offs but the cups are vital to build up a war chest...

Matt Taylor

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 06:04:23 PM »

“Alty’s Phil eyes full-time future” (Front cover of NPL)

Who could blame him? He’s young, ambitious, and coming off the back of a successful season. But it won’t be with us, without something dramatic changing.

Foden is right, to an extent. Starting from where we are now, i can’t see a way we could make full time football work. I want us to be full time as much as anyone else, but to get there we have to do things in the right order (as well as have the ambition to go full time in the first place...which I’m not sure exists anyway). The first step would be getting rid of The Sports Business, and bringing in a proper company to sell the club for us - if we haven’t already? Unfortunately, at the present time, it’s clear the current board are more concerned with filling the weekly bonus ball, than going out publicly to find the people they can hand the club over to who would have the resources to sustain full time football.
So, for that reason it would be a ‘no’ vote from me too, until we can eventually progress forward and break free from the status quo.

Parkinson isn’t daft either, he will be able to see that for himself too. To me, the NPL interview from the weekend had a little bit of a feel of a man planning his own exit route at the end of next season, once the club is soon unable to keep pace with his (justifiably) lofty personal career ambitions, rather than a man looking to become the first full time Altrincham manager.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 09:01:05 PM »

Who could blame him? He’s young, ambitious, and coming off the back of a successful season. But it won’t be with us, without something dramatic changing.

Foden is right, to an extent. Starting from where we are now, i can’t see a way we could make full time football work. I want us to be full time as much as anyone else, but to get there we have to do things in the right order (as well as have the ambition to go full time in the first place...which I’m not sure exists anyway). The first step would be getting rid of The Sports Business, and bringing in a proper company to sell the club for us - if we haven’t already? Unfortunately, at the present time, it’s clear the current board are more concerned with filling the weekly bonus ball, than going out publicly to find the people they can hand the club over to who would have the resources to sustain full time football.
So, for that reason it would be a ‘no’ vote from me too, until we can eventually progress forward and break free from the status quo.

Parkinson isn’t daft either, he will be able to see that for himself too. To me, the NPL interview from the weekend had a little bit of a feel of a man planning his own exit route at the end of next season, once the club is soon unable to keep pace with his (justifiably) lofty personal career ambitions, rather than a man looking to become the first full time Altrincham manager.

The crap’s started for season 2018/2019 already. FFS

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 09:04:00 PM »

Bit rude! I thought it was an excellent post but I have noticed that you do try and goad a reaction in several of your posts.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 09:07:20 PM »

Bit rude! I thought it was an excellent post but I have noticed that you do try and goad a reaction in several of your posts.
Martin, moi?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 11:07:43 PM »

I thought it was an excellent post, too, but  whatever happens next season, I expect we will end up staying part-time though.

If we struggle, Phil Parkinson's priority will be to hold on to his job, and he won't be in a position to make demands of the club.

If we are top, or in the upper playoff positions, the argument will be that are doing well as a part-time club, and it would be foolish to upset that model by going to an unfamiliar full-time mode and potentially losing players. There is some truth in that.

If we finish 7th, 8th or 9th, or something like that, which is what my gut feeling predicts, and which is very good progress for a promoted club,  it gets interesting; he then can say we need that full-time model just to push us on to that next level. As we have said before, if we did that, we could and should continue to accommodate those players who prefer to remain part-time, by maintaining some evening training sessions.

With the current ethos and finances of the club, though, I can't see that happening, and as a manager with a proven record of  success, I see him leaving to join a club who can fulfill his justifiable ambitions.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:15:45 PM by Sale Holmfield »
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Full time football