News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Defence and centre midfield

Author Topic: Defence and centre midfield  (Read 2889 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »

We have some very good players in both areas.

Assuming PP goes with two defensive mids ,what are people's thoughts?

I know he won't drop Moult but I would consider starting Harrop and Williams for home games or maybe have Harrop as an attacking midfield/No.10. Although Hancock is decent in the hole.

Centre backs,I have no idea. All 4 are very good at this level,I suppose Harrison with another...?

Mausoleum Alty

Re: Defence and centre midfield
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 04:00:07 PM »

I know he won't drop Moult but I would consider starting Harrop and Williams for home games or maybe have Harrop as an attacking midfield/No.10. Although Hancock is decent in the hole.

Centre backs,I have no idea. All 4 are very good at this level,I suppose Harrison with another...?

As is James Poole.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 05:46:28 PM »

I think it will be Goulding and Hannigan at CB, Moult and Williams in the middle. As Poole won't be ready for Leamington, Peers in the hole.
Full time and proud of it

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 05:53:39 PM »

As is James Poole.

Yes, we will have many options when James gets fit, for me he is nailed on when match fit. He can find a pass like no other in the team and his guile will be needed against the better defences in this League.

As regards the defence, very impressed with Goulding and Hannigan as a pair in pre season and we have to remember that Ben is still getting over a significant injury. I suspect for Leamington that he will start with Goulding and Hannigan providing they both come through Saturday unscathed.

For Leamington I’d go:

The new right back has been very impressive, along with Goulding, Hannigan and  Hampson I think he completes the back 4.

If he plays Jordan up top on his own, then the remaining 5 for me are JJ, Moult, Harrop,Williams and Hancock.

Subs: Ringo, Peers, Harrison, White, and a keeper (hopefully Wynne)

No doubt many will disagree 😃

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 07:36:16 PM »

Assuming we haven't actually signed Bannister, White must start. And I'd be tempted to try Harrop in the hole. Peers was named to start at Trafford but played no part....bit puzzling.

buchanj9

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 08:35:40 PM »

If Harrop can discipline himself, he starts over willo for me

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »

Assuming we haven't actually signed Bannister, White must start. And I'd be tempted to try Harrop in the hole. Peers was named to start at Trafford but played no part....bit puzzling.

White  is ok as at left back but  he hasn't looked great at right back  when  he's played there.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »

As is James Poole.

As I put last season I would like to see the stats when both Hancock and Poole have played in that position. Poole is a class player but I think we look at better team with Hancock, certainly scores more. I think we need to consider playing someone like Harrop in the hole when we play quicker teams as he can get back and support the other two centre mids.

Jezza

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 07:29:33 AM »

I'm a massive simon richman fan...we just seem to knit together better when he is in the team and his energy disrupts the opposition.

Goulding and hannegan to start only because ben is getting over his injury, he will get his chance when tom gets sent off in the 3rd match.... :-)

Birkonian

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 02:27:07 PM »

Tom Hannigan unlikely  to play today. Picked up a slight hamstring  strain against Trafford. As Ben Harrison isn't 100% for wouldn't be wise to risk aggravating it in a friendly.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team