PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 cheshire senior cup draw
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: cheshire senior cup draw  (Read 8682 times)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: cheshire senior cup draw
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2018, 06:04:26 PM »

Your memory is accurate - Tuesday January 13th 1981, 2 p.m. Cammell Laird had no floodlights, wouldn't switch the replay to our place & were unable to hire Prenton Park as they had wished to do. I think you're also right about the amount of the fine but can't prove that. Re the previous year's semi (see my earlier post) - I believe we had intended to play our first team at Maidstone & the reserves in the CSC but the Alliance Premier League refused to allow it. That we were able to re-arrange the Maidstone game for the following Saturday may have been with the help of the APL but again I can't prove that.

Tuesday, 13th January 1981

Cheshire Senior Cup First Round Replay

Cammell Laird...3  Altrincham...0

Report taken from the Altrincham Guardian (note who scored two of the goals):

The Robins crashed out of the CSC on Tuesday afternoon when they fielded a reserve side in their 1st round replay and risked a £200* fine by the Cheshire FA.

But Alty team manager Tony Sanders explained his team selection had not been made in defiance of the Cheshire FA ruling that all teams must field their strongest possible side.

He said: "We fielded our strongest available team and we have explained our situation to the Cheshire FA."

With the match being a 2pm K.O, the Robins claim their first teamers were unable to get the time off work.

"These boys have had a lot of extra time off during our recent FA Cup run, and with job prospects being the way they are it would have been unfair to expect them to take time off for an afternoon CSC game at Cammell Laird", said Sanders.

The problem for Alty arose because Cammell Laird's tidy ground on the Wirral does not have floodlights, which ruled out an evening K.O. Alty offered to stage the replay at Moss Lane, but the Merseysiders refused and their attempt to switch the tie to nearby Tranmere Rovers was thwarted.

On a heavy pitch, reserve team keeper Tony Harrison restricted Lairds to three goals with a fine performance which included a 76th minute penalty save from McGuire.

Peter Davenport struck twice, in the 31st and 80th minutes, either side of a 55th minute goal by McGuire, while Alty were restricted to breakaway attempts by Cavanah and Todd.

The Alty team was:

Tony Harrison
Craig Johnson
John Cavanah
Gary Blissett
Alan Todd
Steve Yates
Davies
Gary Stewart
Edwards
Nigel Pato
Steve Blake.

Sub: Andy Poole

* I believe the fine that was imposed by the Cheshire FA was rather more severe than predicted at £500.

Thanks to Mike and Cult for the confirmation. Increasingly can't trust my own memory.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 cheshire senior cup draw