PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 cheshire senior cup draw
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: cheshire senior cup draw  (Read 8503 times)

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: cheshire senior cup draw
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 10:04:15 PM »

When are these games to be played?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 10:23:13 PM »

According to the Cheshire FA website, they are in week commencing October 29th,which is when we are at home to Nuneaton Borough. There seems to be some leeway extended in scheduling Cheshire Senior Cup ties nowadays, thankfully, though.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 07:09:54 PM »

Maybe it could be scheduled for when we are due to play at Chester then we wouldn't have to cancel a game.

anglo alty

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 06:54:11 PM »

Perhaps they would be better running it as a pre season tournament several counties do this

roytonmike

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »

When are these games to be played?
For future reference (maybe) - according to Cheshire FA website as of now
Prelim Round week commencing October 29th
First Round week commencing January 7th
Second Round week commencing February 4th
Semi-Final week commencing March 4th
Final April or May

roytonmike

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 07:27:37 PM »

Perhaps they would be better running it as a pre season tournament several counties do this
With a total of 25 clubs judged eligible it's too big for pre-season; and the turkeys won't vote for Christmas, so don't expect it to shrink to a manageable size! I fear we're stuck with it.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 08:53:55 PM »

Am I right in thinking in the 70s some CSC ties were played on a Saturday?

TheGolfRoadView

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 09:03:21 PM »

I am sure i can remember back possibly in 1981, the first team playing a league  game on a Saturday afternoon, at the same time as the reserve team playing a CSC semi final. Not sure if anyone can confirm this?

roytonmike

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 10:01:23 PM »

The last time we played a Senior Cup-tie on a Saturday was February 1986 at home to Runcorn. There was a semi in either 1980 or 1981 which necessitated the postponement of an APL game at Maidstone . Fortunately it was possible to re-arrange that game for the following Saturday so we didn't have to go to Kent in midweek. I'll check the details & confirm the year in a couple of minutes.
[The year was 1980 - March 8th to be exact; we played Witton at Runcorn & lost 2-1, John Rogers being our scorer. We also played a Saturday semi 1n 1982 (March 6th) at Witton, beating Macc 2-1. The date of the 1986 game was February 15th - 2-2 after extra time. The replay the following Wednesday ended 0-0 after 90 minutes & Runcorn were declared winners on away goals, which was a mystery to most of us as there was neither a match programme nor any form of announcement of the rules!
Throughout the 70s, by the way, CSC ties were always on Saturdays.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:16:05 PM by roytonmike »

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 10:21:30 PM »

The last time we played a Senior Cup-tie on a Saturday was February 1986 at home to Runcorn. There was a semi in either 1980 or 1981 which necessitated the postponement of an APL game at Maidstone . Fortunately it was possible to re-arrange that game for the following Saturday so we didn't have to go to Kent in midweek. I'll check the details & confirm the year in a couple of minutes.
[The year was 1980 - March 8th to be exact; we played Witton at Runcorn & lost 2-1, John Rogers being our scorer. We also played a Saturday semi 1n 1982 (March 6th) at Witton, beating Macc 2-1. The date of the 1986 game was February 15th - 2-2 after extra time. The replay the following Wednesday ended 0-0 after 90 minutes & Runcorn were declared winners on away goals, which was a mystery to most of us as there was neither a match programme nor any form of announcement of the rules!
Throughout the 70s, by the way, CSC ties were always on Saturdays.

Thanks for the info Mike

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 11:37:42 PM »

I am sure i can remember back possibly in 1981, the first team playing a league  game on a Saturday afternoon, at the same time as the reserve team playing a CSC semi final. Not sure if anyone can confirm this?

That must have been confusing. Did they use different coloured balls?

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »

Don't remember that, but do remember in 80-81 season (I think) us fielding a reserve team away at Cammell Laird on a Tuesday afternoon (?) and subsequently being fined £500 (?) by the Cheshire FA. I don't like the CSC and never have. Why should it be one rule for the league clubs in Cheshire and another for those who are non-league in terms of the strength of sides fielded?

Tin pot.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

roytonmike

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »

Don't remember that, but do remember in 80-81 season (I think) us fielding a reserve team away at Cammell Laird on a Tuesday afternoon (?) and subsequently being fined £500 (?) by the Cheshire FA. I don't like the CSC and never have. Why should it be one rule for the league clubs in Cheshire and another for those who are non-league in terms of the strength of sides fielded?
Tin pot.
Your memory is accurate - Tuesday January 13th 1981, 2 p.m. Cammell Laird had no floodlights, wouldn't switch the replay to our place & were unable to hire Prenton Park as they had wished to do. I think you're also right about the amount of the fine but can't prove that. Re the previous year's semi (see my earlier post) - I believe we had intended to play our first team at Maidstone & the reserves in the CSC but the Alliance Premier League refused to allow it. That we were able to re-arrange the Maidstone game for the following Saturday may have been with the help of the APL but again I can't prove that.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »

A pre season competition would be worse. Different leagues starting on different days, what to do if knocked out in round one, plus all clubs like to prepare for the season in different ways..

The competition is now so outdated. The only way to make everyone happy would be freedom to field whatever side you wanted with no penalty. That way you could take it as seriously as you wanted (some will).

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2018, 05:40:03 PM »

I am sure i can remember back possibly in 1981, the first team playing a league  game on a Saturday afternoon, at the same time as the reserve team playing a CSC semi final. Not sure if anyone can confirm this?

Tin pot.

Your memory is accurate - Tuesday January 13th 1981, 2 p.m. Cammell Laird had no floodlights, wouldn't switch the replay to our place & were unable to hire Prenton Park as they had wished to do. I think you're also right about the amount of the fine but can't prove that. Re the previous year's semi (see my earlier post) - I believe we had intended to play our first team at Maidstone & the reserves in the CSC but the Alliance Premier League refused to allow it. That we were able to re-arrange the Maidstone game for the following Saturday may have been with the help of the APL but again I can't prove that.

Tuesday, 13th January 1981

Cheshire Senior Cup First Round Replay

Cammell Laird...3  Altrincham...0

Report taken from the Altrincham Guardian (note who scored two of the goals):

The Robins crashed out of the CSC on Tuesday afternoon when they fielded a reserve side in their 1st round replay and risked a £200* fine by the Cheshire FA.

But Alty team manager Tony Sanders explained his team selection had not been made in defiance of the Cheshire FA ruling that all teams must field their strongest possible side.

He said: "We fielded our strongest available team and we have explained our situation to the Cheshire FA."

With the match being a 2pm K.O, the Robins claim their first teamers were unable to get the time off work.

"These boys have had a lot of extra time off during our recent FA Cup run, and with job prospects being the way they are it would have been unfair to expect them to take time off for an afternoon CSC game at Cammell Laird", said Sanders.

The problem for Alty arose because Cammell Laird's tidy ground on the Wirral does not have floodlights, which ruled out an evening K.O. Alty offered to stage the replay at Moss Lane, but the Merseysiders refused and their attempt to switch the tie to nearby Tranmere Rovers was thwarted.

On a heavy pitch, reserve team keeper Tony Harrison restricted Lairds to three goals with a fine performance which included a 76th minute penalty save from McGuire.

Peter Davenport struck twice, in the 31st and 80th minutes, either side of a 55th minute goal by McGuire, while Alty were restricted to breakaway attempts by Cavanah and Todd.

The Alty team was:

Tony Harrison
Craig Johnson
John Cavanah
Gary Blissett
Alan Todd
Steve Yates
Davies
Gary Stewart
Edwards
Nigel Pato
Steve Blake.

Sub: Andy Poole

* I believe the fine that was imposed by the Cheshire FA was rather more severe than predicted at £500.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 cheshire senior cup draw