PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bernard Taylor RIP
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bernard Taylor RIP  (Read 9066 times)

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
Bernard Taylor RIP
« on: October 01, 2018, 10:26:42 AM »

Sad to hear today of the passing of ex Alty Manager Bernard Taylor.

From John Laidlar's excellent Alty Files website...

BERNARD TAYLOR
The death has been announced of former Altrincham FC manager Bernard Taylor who passed away last Wednesday. Bernard was manager of Altrincham FC from March 1998 to May 2000. He was appointed to the role after the resignation of John King and Graham Heathcote which had taken place on 5 March 1998. At the time, Bernard was the Altrincham FC Reserves' manager.
His first managerial success came in May 1998 when Altrincham won the UniBond League Cup defeating Gainsborough Trinity at Chesterfield's Saltergate stadium.

In 1998-99 he was manager of the team which regained promotion to the Football Conference, following the club's first ever relegation in 1997. With coach Graham Heathcote alongside Bernard, Alty started the 1999-2000 season quite well. However, by the end of the campaign, although the team had only lost 14 of its 42 games, a total of 19 draws meant that Altrincham had not gathered enough points and were relegated back down to the Northern Premier League.

Bernard resigned at the end of that season and was succeeded by Mark Ward. Bernard's later roles in football included managing Kidsgrove Athletic.

Jezza

Re: Bernard Taylor RIP
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:58:57 AM »

RIP a lovely likeable popular manager.
Brought the fans together and built a good side.
Like PP he was under pressure to succeed and he did.
And we played good football.
Very sad news my thoughts go to his family.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »

Sad news, indeed.

My condolences to his family and friends.

My abiding memory from his entertaining rollercoaster tenure as Alty's manager:

RUNCORN...0  ALTRINCHAM...3

Unibond League Premier Division

Saturday, 26th December 1998

There's nothing quite like a Boxing Day outing to the exotic climes of a blustery and rainy Runcorn and one of my enduring memories of this particular excursion relates to the Alty manager Bernard Taylor being rendered a fashion victim by his ill-advised decision to wear a pair of fancy beige slip-ons. I recall watching with a sense of increasing trepidation as he struggled to remain upright and slithered through the cloying mud along the touchline whilst undertaking his precarious trudge to the away dugout in front of the main stand.

I count myself fortunate enough to be one of the 630 people who can truthfully say 'I was there' when the discussion turns to that astonishing afternoon when Stuart Coburn both scored a goal and saved a penalty within the same game. This rarely-seen 'double' helped to propel Alty to the top of the league that day and they proceeded to attain promotion back to the Nationwide Conference just over four months later.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 12:08:21 PM »

Unbelievably sad news. So many happy memories and a lot of good times, on and off the pitch.

RIP Bernard.  :'(
Come on Alty!

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »

Very sad news. A very warm hearted man who seemed to have a special rapport with the fans, and who brought success to the club.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 01:12:30 PM »

My last personal memory of Bernard as Alty manager was his trying to apply a temporary fix to the Moss Lane boundary fence where a car had crashed into it the night before. This was the morning of the season-ending Kidderminster game, where they sealed their Conference championship  and Altrincham were relegated. I still feel some responsibility for having wished him luck for "this afternoon".

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 01:34:25 PM »

RIP Bernard
Very very sad news
A top class bloke who would do anything for anyone

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 01:35:53 PM »

Possibly one the nicest men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

A true gentlemen and amazing guy. What a sad loss to his family and anyone who had the pleasure of knowing him

RIP Bernard

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 02:34:43 PM »

Terribly sad news, a real gentleman and I must say a most unlikely manager.....but he did it and with style and good fun along the way. RIP Bernard.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »

One of the nicest guys I've ever met. They say nice guys don't make good managers - what do "they" know ? If you'd cut Bernard he would have bled in red and white stripes. RIP mate.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 03:27:07 PM »

Sad news, indeed.

There's nothing quite like a Boxing Day outing to the exotic climes of a blustery and rainy Runcorn and one of my enduring memories of this particular excursion relates to the Alty manager Bernard Taylor being rendered a fashion victim by his ill-advised decision to wear a pair of fancy beige slip-ons. I recall watching with a sense of increasing trepidation as he struggled to remain upright and slithered through the cloying mud along the touchline whilst undertaking his precarious trudge to the away dugout in front of the main stand.

I count myself fortunate enough to be one of the 630 people who can truthfully say 'I was there' when the discussion turns to that astonishing afternoon when Stuart Coburn both scored a goal and saved a penalty within the same game. This rarely-seen 'double' helped to propel Alty to the top of the league that day and they proceeded to attain promotion back to the Nationwide Conference just over four months later.

happy memories

RIP Bernard another legend passes . Loved the nights in Chequers as well
ParkINson's red and white army

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 03:36:11 PM »

One of the truly decent and likeable men in football; I think his time at the club was one of the most enjoyable and fun as his character became the character of the club.

RIP Bernard.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »

RIP Bernard - some of my earliest memories of Alty were that Unibond championship and him coming over to embrace the fans in the Golf Road End.

Kenny will be giving him some grief already

GET YER SUBS ON BERNARD!!!

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 06:01:16 PM »

Another sad day for the club and his family he was a great bloke.
I remember the Bishop Auckland game in 1996 and him and Vic squaring up to thier
fans when they kicked off.
Then after the game he bought me and a couple of others a pint in the bar as  thank
you for pulling his daughter Angie and her friend out of the away snack bar before they turned it over.
RIP Bernard
@AltyDaz

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 06:37:18 PM »

Sad news, indeed.

i was there that day and you are also forgetting concorde flew past as well a very memorable day it was

FFS
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bernard Taylor RIP