PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport away
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Stockport away  (Read 14809 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Stockport away
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 04:51:13 PM »

Dunston v Gateshead live on the bbc. The correct choice

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 11:36:03 PM »

Very much so, and I thought Dunston should have had the coverage in the previous round (which probably would have ruled them out for this round) to see their excellent result against Chester.

On pubs, I think Stockport is one of the best drinking towns in Britain. There are two concentrations of good pubs and bars. One is to the north side of the town centre along the A6, including the Magnet and Hope. The other is to the east of the station, around the Market Place, and that includes my own favourite, the Petersgate Tap, on St Petersgate. That's a modern bar, not unlike Costello's, which has 6 handpumps, always including Hawkshead Windermere Pale, 4 craft keg lines, and traditional cider too. Without going on at length, there are several other choices too, in both areas.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »

£10 to get in at Stockport a week tomorrow. That's good value.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 04:20:01 PM »

Very much so, and I thought Dunston should have had the coverage in the previous round (which probably would have ruled them out for this round) to see their excellent result against Chester.

On pubs, I think Stockport is one of the best drinking towns in Britain. There are two concentrations of good pubs and bars. One is to the north side of the town centre along the A6, including the Magnet and Hope. The other is to the east of the station, around the Market Place, and that includes my own favourite, the Petersgate Tap, on St Petersgate. That's a modern bar, not unlike Costello's, which has 6 handpumps, always including Hawkshead Windermere Pale, 4 craft keg lines, and traditional cider too. Without going on at length, there are several other choices too, in both areas.

This article pretty much covers them all actually (including the Blossoms, named after the band of course, which is a bit of a trek further down the other way).

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/stockport-pub-crawl-real-ale-11908037

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 05:52:22 PM »

This article pretty much covers them all actually (including the Blossoms, named after the band of course, which is a bit of a trek further down the other way).

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/stockport-pub-crawl-real-ale-11908037

Yes, it is a pretty good article, although it's two years old. Since then, the Cocked Hat has shut, although, on the other hand, the Midland has been saved.

I am surprised the Olde Vic on Chatham Street isn't covered and less surprised that new ones such as the Petersgate Tap, already mentioned, and Project 53 on the Market Place (Mobberley Brewhouse's Brewery Tap, although why it's in Stockport rather than Altrincham or Knutsford...) are not as they weren't there then!
If you want the Wetherspoons, it's the Calvert's Court, also on St Petersgate, which is the road connecting the station to the market.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 04:22:01 PM »

Having been to Stockport a couple of times now I really don't get the fuss about the pubs there.

Some of them are perfectly fine, e.g. The Crown. Others, like The Armoury, are quite boring. I'm also not completely sold on the Old Vic, decent beer and nice owners, but quite dingy. Also, all the pubs are quite spread apart and it seems you have to constantly deal with main roads and roundabouts to get from one pub to the next.

Finally, while I know even the existence of lager seems to annoy some people on here, none of the pubs I went in had any interesting lagers.

We've been to far better places to drink than Stockport in the past (St Albans, Lewes, Cambridge, Worcester etc.), Stockport is firmly in the average camp.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

andrewflynn

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 05:04:28 PM »

Having been to Stockport a couple of times now I really don't get the fuss about the pubs there.

Some of them are perfectly fine, e.g. The Crown. Others, like The Armoury, are quite boring. I'm also not completely sold on the Old Vic, decent beer and nice owners, but quite dingy. Also, all the pubs are quite spread apart and it seems you have to constantly deal with main roads and roundabouts to get from one pub to the next.

Finally, while I know even the existence of lager seems to annoy some people on here, none of the pubs I went in had any interesting lagers.

We've been to far better places to drink than Stockport in the past (St Albans, Lewes, Cambridge, Worcester etc.), Stockport is firmly in the average camp.

Yes. It is a ballache. We visited far better drinking towns last year. Matlock, Lancaster and Buxton spring to mind. If Stockport was an hour and a half away I'd class it as a mediocre trip personally.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »

Yes. It is a ballache. We visited far better drinking towns last year. Matlock, Lancaster and Buxton spring to mind. If Stockport was an hour and a half away I'd class it as a mediocre trip personally.

I definitely have some sympathy on what a faff with the viaduct and the roads getting around on foot is. The pubs are largely classic cask ale old school boozers, which are a dying breed to a certain extent and not to everyone’s tastes but i like them. No question unless we get some random cup draw that York will be the best day on the beers by an absolute mile this season mind.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 07:21:10 PM »

I definitely have some sympathy on what a faff with the viaduct and the roads getting around on foot is. The pubs are largely classic cask ale old school boozers, which are a dying breed to a certain extent and not to everyone’s tastes but i like them. No question unless we get some random cup draw that York will be the best day on the beers by an absolute mile this season mind.

Sorry, but I find this all extremely odd. People travelling from London complain about there being a railway viaduct when that railway enabled them to get there so quickly?

If you don't like "old school cask ale boozers", you can go to the likes of Remedy or Project 53 by the market. There are the two groups of good pubs by the màrket and in Heaton Norris if you don't want to wander around too far;  although they may not be right by the ground, I think they are closer than the central Worcester pubs were to St George's Lane, even before Worcester City had to move out of town!

Stockport gives much more choice than Lewes, for example, which was once my local town. It might be less compact, but that is surely because Stockport is much bigger. Incidentally, I do agree with the suggestions for good drinking towns, but don't see why anybody would not include Stockport.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 07:35:36 PM »

Yeovil v Stockport. Utter sh*t draw
Full time and proud of it

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2018, 07:42:00 PM »

Yeovil v Stockport. Utter sh*t draw

Yes, when I heard about that, I was nearly - I repeat nearly - glad to have lost.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2018, 08:02:11 PM »

I said to my County supporting colleague this morning depending who they got in the next round I might go with him. I don't think even he will be going to that one.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2018, 10:08:31 PM »

Sorry, but I find this all extremely odd. People travelling from London complain about there being a railway viaduct when that railway enabled them to get there so quickly?

If you don't like "old school cask ale boozers", you can go to the likes of Remedy or Project 53 by the market. There are the two groups of good pubs by the màrket and in Heaton Norris if you don't want to wander around too far;  although they may not be right by the ground, I think they are closer than the central Worcester pubs were to St George's Lane, even before Worcester City had to move out of town!

Stockport gives much more choice than Lewes, for example, which was once my local town. It might be less compact, but that is surely because Stockport is much bigger. Incidentally, I do agree with the suggestions for good drinking towns, but don't see why anybody would not include Stockport.

Blimey, who are you, the Stockport drinking police? I’ll be sure to seek permission before I critique the drinking options of any of our remaining aways this season. PS Yeovil away-looooooool!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »

I'm looking forward to the inevitable 3rd round look at who we could have been paying posts  ;D
ParkINson's red and white army

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2018, 09:32:10 AM »

Blimey, who are you, the Stockport drinking police? I’ll be sure to seek permission before I critique the drinking options of any of our remaining aways this season. PS Yeovil away-looooooool!

Well, I think we will have to agree to differ on Stockport and remain friendly....

By the way, unless anyone knows different, Stockport contains the only pub I know which gives avdiscount match days for people going to the match, or say they are.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport away