PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Travel to Stockport
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Travel to Stockport  (Read 7449 times)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Travel to Stockport
« on: October 13, 2018, 10:29:37 PM »

What is the best way next week with a late return (midnight)

Told by Mike Ford that Northern Rail on strike next weekend - so tram into Mcr and pendolino
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Travel to Stockport
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 11:09:47 PM »

11A bus from Altrincham stops right by Edgeley Park. But DON'T get the 11 as it does a guided tour of Wythenshawe and takes about 80 minutes !

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 01:11:29 AM »

You aren't supposed to be able to get a Pendalino from Stockport to Manchester. Something to do with an anvcient bylaw of Stockport and Richard Branson throwing his toys out ofthe pram. Not sure what they can do once you are on the train.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 01:30:22 AM »

What is the best way next week with a late return (midnight)

Told by Mike Ford that Northern Rail on strike next weekend - so tram into Mcr and pendolino

From the Metrolink website:

Altrincham, Bury

Metrolink engineering works at Old Trafford and Trafford Bar: Saturday, 20th October 2018

Due to Metrolink engineering works at Old Trafford and Trafford Bar on Saturday 20th October 2018, some services will be amended with replacement buses running on some routes.

Tram services on the Bury – Altrincham line will operate Bury – Etihad Campus.

Replacement buses will operate on the following routes:

Altrincham - Piccadilly, buses will call at all stops. To see where you can catch a replacement bus, please select a stop below:

Altrincham

Navigation Road

Timperley

Brooklands

Sale

Dane Road

Stretford

Old Trafford

Trafford Bar

Cornbrook

Deansgate - Castlefield

St Peters Square

Piccadilly Gardens  

Piccadilly

Shudehill

Victoria

Other tram services will be operating between Cornbrook and Piccadilly

Altrincham - Victoria, buses will call at all stops except Market Street (use Piccadilly Gardens).

Other tram services will be operating between Trafford Bar and Victoria.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

For more information on Metrolink services call Metrolink Customer Services on 0161 205 2000 or follow @MCRMetrolink on Twitter for live travel updates.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:32:41 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 08:00:38 AM »

Other options are as follows:

88 bus from Altrincham. To Wilmslow station which depart at 45 mins past the hour from
The interchange and all
Stops up hale road, arriving at Wilmslow station at 22 mins past the hour connecting with the 27 and 47 minutes past the hour services to stockport. With a service at 4 minutes past, 39 minutes past departing stockport on the way back to get the 18:03 bus from Wilmslow station back to Altrincham.

The X5 fast bus service from sale to stockport

There’s is a train service every 15 minutes from Manchester airport railink to Piccadilly linking to services for stockport

Passenger cars (0161-9281111) will charge £18 one way for a normal car based on travelling from our stadium to Edgeley Park stadium for 4 passengers or £27 pounds for an 8 seater vehicle, and £36 for a 16 seater vehicle. Cars can be booked on spec but 8 seaters and mini buses would need to be booked in advance.

Edgeleyalty

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 08:04:36 AM »

The 11A no longer goes past Edgeley Park, only the number 11 goes past now

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »

I decided to combine this game with a few days at my mum's who now lives in Hartford. Thinking I could get a direct train from Greenbank to Stockport if now that's not possible does anyone have any ideas how to get there? Can I go from Hartford via Crewe?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 09:05:05 AM »

Yes, West Midlands trains run a half hourly service from Hartford to Crewe and choice from Crewe is plentiful. Northern will still be running an hourly Crewe to Manchester service via stockport otherwise plenty of intercity services from
Crewe

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 09:18:23 AM »

I hadn't realised that had changed - there goes MY grand plan. I'll just take the 11 through to the Town Centre and catch the 11A back out again when I've beered up.

Edgeleyalty

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 09:58:40 AM »

I hadn't realised that had changed - there goes MY grand plan. I'll just take the 11 through to the Town Centre and catch the 11A back out again when I've beered up.

It no longer turns right at the farmers arms towards Stockport, it carries on down Stockport to towards brinksway “pyramid “ you could get off at st Lesmo rd and walk to Edgeley park, it’s about a 20 minute walk to the ground from there

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 01:14:59 PM »

Thanks to all who have assisted
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 06:58:03 PM »

You aren't supposed to be able to get a Pendalino from Stockport to Manchester. Something to do with an anvcient bylaw of Stockport and Richard Branson throwing his toys out ofthe pram. Not sure what they can do once you are on the train.

They could ticket check you and prosecute you under the railway byelaws for travelling with an invalid ticket
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 08:16:24 PM »

They could ticket check you and prosecute you under the railway byelaws for travelling with an invalid ticket

Only if it is invalid, and you can travel between Manchester and Stockport on Virgin, provided you are not an Advance ticket for another train. There was a spell a few years ago when you couldn't as they were pick up and set down only at Stockport, but that restriction is in the past.

The Metrolink works make this all a bit academic for most readers though, as it would be quicker to use the buses mentioned earlier!

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 09:06:55 PM »

Only if it is invalid, and you can travel between Manchester and Stockport on Virgin, provided you are not an Advance ticket for another train. There was a spell a few years ago when you couldn't as they were pick up and set down only at Stockport, but that restriction is in the past.

The Metrolink works make this all a bit academic for most readers though, as it would be quicker to use the buses mentioned earlier!

I think the above is correct. The issue is that the good councillors of Stockport only agreed to the viaduct being built providing every train stopped there. Mr Branson decided to challenge the decision in te law courts and lost. Consequently he decreed you couldn't travel from Manchester to Stockport or vice versa on the Pendalinos.

I presume the penalty would be standard fare from Macc or Wilmslow.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 10:16:06 PM »

It's really not toys and prays though is it.

It's just someone trying to run a business that is beneficial to their target market. Filling the long distance trains with short hop shoppers isn't the plan.

It's the same with Watford Junction at the other end.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Travel to Stockport