PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 York City Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: York City Thread  (Read 16435 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: York City Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2018, 03:54:58 PM »

To add we were class second half.
Moult has gone onto a new level.
The direct attacking football was unreal.
This is the best football I've seen us since the McKenna and Showler days without doubt.

Really? I’d to think the 94-95 season is up there

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »

I was just going to post that the highlights were on the Vanarama site! The quality isn't the best though.
What an excellent second half. I thought that York just about edged the first half but without creating any real chances.
No one has mentioned Simon Richmond's contribution. He was everywhere.
Well done to everyone involved.
Only down side for me was the big long queues in the bar but good revenue for the club! SBL

Maybe some of the increased bar profits could be set aside for extra floodlight bulbs. After recent games at Kidderminster, Stockport and Chester it shows up how inadequate our floodlighting is.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2018, 04:11:00 PM »

Playing alongside Tom Hannigan must be an absolute dream for young James Jones.

Jones can hold his own and deserves his own credit.

Very good defender and I believe it will be him or Hulme we lose first.

Lets hope not for a while yet but I agree, I had originally  thought Harrison and Goulding were better options than Jones but doubt that now,

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »

This is the best football I've seen us since the McKenna and Showler days without doubt.

Yeah mate. Football has developed and improved so much. The pace it was played yesterday was immense. I think we have a better footballing team.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 06:19:14 PM by oneedham »

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2018, 06:34:21 PM »

Yeah mate. Football has developed and improved so much. The pace it was played yesterday was immense. I think we have a better footballing team.

I have very little in it between the 2014 play off wiining team and the current team.Still a couple of players around  from then but take them out and its pretty close imo.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 06:37:20 PM by Timperley The Best »

Matt Taylor

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2018, 10:05:33 PM »

One of the best performances since 2014 promotion  looked like the York fan on the pitch was very close to assaulting their manager , scandalous he should be banned by them

It was a pretty stupid thing for the York fan to do, but I don’t think our own stewards covered themselves in glory either.
I understand that if someone is determined to jump over a barrier and run onto a pitch, then preventing it is difficult. However, it’s worrying that he was able to get all the way from the goal to the dugout completely unchallenged, while the stewards looked on bewildered.
Then, even when the lad was abusing the manager in front of the dug out, it was left to the assistant and the physio to try and restrain him, before they actually had to ask the nearest stewards to come and get him. It was all a bit embarrassing, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was included in the refs report.

It’s hardly the most important part of the match (I’d much prefer to have decent players than decent stewards!), but if we are going to serve alcohol throughout the bigger games, then it’s important to make sure that adequate crowd safety measures are put in place before someone gets hurt.

Only caught the last 10 mins of the game, but that third goal was superb.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2018, 08:34:45 AM »

A really professional, patient performance from the boys - to a man they were excellent and of course being led by Jake who is playing out of his skin at the moment

What's great is that players that didn't start the season sharp (e.g. Richman, Hancock) are coming in and making a real difference, as I'm sure the likes of Dens and Poole will do when they properly get their turn.

Great strength in depth these days.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »

We're fully in our stride now. At the start of the season I think there was a question mark in the players minds. Having moved up a division they weren't sure how much better the opposition would be. Now they know they can't be complacent but there isn't much to fear.

That postponed game against Chorley was a lucky break. It could have been psychologically damaging if we'd taken a heavy loss but even they are looking beatable now.

The league leaders are coming next week and we've already beaten them twice this season. Heady days.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »

You probably see much more of them than me Ol, but isn’t that a bit premature? I don’t mean this in a disrespectful way, and am not trying to downplay anything the players we have now have achieved so far, but the 94/95 team were genuine contenders for promotion to the Football League and reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup. The current side is 7th in a regional league, and didn’t get past the FA Cup Qual rounds. Even allowing for football moving on with the passing of time, surely things need keeping in perspective?

If we are actually surpassing the 94/95 then fair enough, but that would be some achievement.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »

For me it's still the great team of the late 70's and early 80's that won the Trophy, and the Conference twice, and took Spurs to a replay.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2018, 11:07:49 AM »

I don't think anyone is doubting we've had better teams, looking at our history - but for our millennial fans, it's probably the most exciting team we've had to back.

I thought Sinnott was a good manager - but there was always just that vital disconnect for me (a lot to do with his location).

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »

With this team for me it's all about potential, we have to give them a chance to develop further. they may even surpass previous teams, it is still early days as yet.

The important thing is to keep building on this and see where it takes us.

I am very impressed with the players who were with us when things were bad such as Jake and Simon and Shaun. They have adapted with the team and turned things round.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »

I don't think anyone is doubting we've had better teams, looking at our history - but for our millennial fans, it's probably the most exciting team we've had to back.

I thought Sinnott was a good manager - but there was always just that vital disconnect for me (a lot to do with his location).

I just think we've hit upon the successful formula for a management team to do well in the Conference North. It has to be a bald guy with an assistant called Neil. Attempts to kill two birds with one stone by hiring a bald guy called Neil proved disastrous and are never to be repeated.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 York City Thread