Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What game was telford's manager watching on saturday????

Author Topic: What game was telford's manager watching on saturday????  (Read 2959 times)

Jezza

« on: December 10, 2018, 01:03:59 PM »

From John Laidlar's award winning site;

BUCKS' VIEW
The Shropshire Star reports that "Gavin Cowan believes his AFC Telford United side were the instigators of their own downfall after slipping to a 3-1 defeat at Altrincham.
The Robins, who had won their last five in all competitions, took an 18th minute lead after John Johnston skipped past two tackles, before finding former Buck, Josh Hancock, who slotted home. Hancock sealed the win with a goal late on, after Connor Hampson's super curling free kick had got the hosts in front 16 minutes from time.

The Bucks chief believes his side had control of the game for large parts, but errors cost his team on a wet afternoon at the J Davidson Stadium. He said, 'They were difficult conditions but they were the same for both sides so there is no argument there. I think we had a couple of chances in the first half we didn't put away, but I felt we controlled the game in parts.

'We were comfortable in open play and we nullified them for the most part, but we were the instigators of our own downfall, and that is not really us. We are quite a reliable team, individually and as a team. I was frustrated because we work hard through the week on specific things, and rely on the lads going over the white line.

'We did that in the first 18 minutes and controlled the game and, then, four players have gone jumping and sliding into tackles and that is uncharacteristic.'

Daniel Udoh drew his side level after 25 minutes of the game, but apart from that the Bucks never forced goalkeeper Tony Thompson into a save.

Cowan introduced Brendon Daniels and Yusifu Ceesau from the bench late on in a bid to grab an equaliser, but the Bucks got overrun and Hancock sealed the win with his second.

The manager took the blame for the third goal, and said 'In the second half we took control again and, as staff, we were talking about when we should go for the jugular. We tried to stay in the game as long as we could, and the third goal was my fault really because I have gone gung-ho. I felt we were in control of the game for parts, but we were not threatening in our attacking phases.

andrewflynn

Re: What game was telford's manager watching on saturday????
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 03:18:03 PM »

From John Laidlar's award winning site;

BUCKS' VIEW
The Shropshire Star reports that "Gavin Cowan believes his AFC Telford United side were the instigators of their own downfall after slipping to a 3-1 defeat at Altrincham.
The Robins, who had won their last five in all competitions, took an 18th minute lead after John Johnston skipped past two tackles, before finding former Buck, Josh Hancock, who slotted home. Hancock sealed the win with a goal late on, after Connor Hampson's super curling free kick had got the hosts in front 16 minutes from time.

The Bucks chief believes his side had control of the game for large parts, but errors cost his team on a wet afternoon at the J Davidson Stadium. He said, 'They were difficult conditions but they were the same for both sides so there is no argument there. I think we had a couple of chances in the first half we didn't put away, but I felt we controlled the game in parts.

'We were comfortable in open play and we nullified them for the most part, but we were the instigators of our own downfall, and that is not really us. We are quite a reliable team, individually and as a team. I was frustrated because we work hard through the week on specific things, and rely on the lads going over the white line.

'We did that in the first 18 minutes and controlled the game and, then, four players have gone jumping and sliding into tackles and that is uncharacteristic.'

Daniel Udoh drew his side level after 25 minutes of the game, but apart from that the Bucks never forced goalkeeper Tony Thompson into a save.

Cowan introduced Brendon Daniels and Yusifu Ceesau from the bench late on in a bid to grab an equaliser, but the Bucks got overrun and Hancock sealed the win with his second.

The manager took the blame for the third goal, and said 'In the second half we took control again and, as staff, we were talking about when we should go for the jugular. We tried to stay in the game as long as we could, and the third goal was my fault really because I have gone gung-ho. I felt we were in control of the game for parts, but we were not threatening in our attacking phases.

Think it's a pretty fair assessment of the game from their perspective, to be honest.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 04:11:10 PM »

I am perfectly happy for any side that loses to us to believe its because they were below par, as opposed to us being good. Its a stealth 25 points from 27 games!

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 06:28:43 PM »

Well IMO their manager should have gone to specsave. They weren't a bad side but in the second half I don't recall a single shot on TT. SBL

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 06:32:51 PM »

Well IMO their manager should have gone to specsave. They weren't a bad side but in the second half I don't recall a single shot on TT. SBL

Go and read the article again fella  ???

anglo alty

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 07:40:12 PM »

They were in the game for over an hour so I can see where Cowan's is coming from but despite all their efforts created very little

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 09:36:59 PM »

A very reasonable view from a manager after his team have been beaten

To be fair I think for the first goal they were dispossessed when the ball stopped in the water (not seen the highlights yet). JJ did brilliantly but we had the luck of the ball in that respect. The second came from a fantastic freekick after a silly foul and we could maybe have scored earlier from Jordan's header or when Mantack was through. They were a good side but created little in the final third (a bit like us away at Stockport in the cup)

I can see why he blames himself for the third goal.......which is good post defeat 'man-management' if you ask me. I noticed at the time that after the second goal they left three on the halfway line and one in the middle at corners........a gamble that did not pay off

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:39:34 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team