PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport County - Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Stockport County - Match Thread  (Read 13114 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Stockport County - Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 11:08:56 AM »

we owe them one so let’s go there and play like we have done all season, get the first goal and beat the Hatters. Come on Alty.

We owe them TWO - one today and one next week hopefully !

CountyFan

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »

For those looking for a decent tipple, the Armoury is very welcoming, the rest of Edgeley is perhaps the dodgiest part of the whole town, if you've got enough time the market is great for real ale boozers, nice crowd as well.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 02:30:22 PM »

) Thompson, 2) Densmore, 3) Hampson, 4) Jones, 5) Hannigan, 6) Moult (C), 7) Johnston, 8) Williams, 9 Hancock, 10) Harrop, 11) Hemmings.
SUBS
12) Mantack, 14) Richman, 15) Harrison, 16) Song, 20) Wynne.
Harold

Jezza

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »

Someone tell me how williams gets in ahead of richman?
The striker on loan played well and perhaps should have been played from the start..
We are still suffering from disrespecting the trophy and losing jordan.
Score 1st v county and they wouldnt park the bus and counter which is the only thing they do well.
Credit to the lads for keeping probing but we could have played all night...and not scored.
Learn how to defend and take corners please

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 05:51:08 PM »

Before I start on our failings, well done to Stockport for doing another job on us . Never looked like opening them up. They're so well organised it's frightening. Even with Hulme back I can't see us breaking them down. If they score first it's done deal.

Staggered that Thompson started, Williams was dreadful, we were slow, lacked movement and deserved nothing. Only plus point was Song looked ok
Full time and proud of it

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »

Someone tell me how williams gets in ahead of richman?
The striker on loan played well and perhaps should have been played from the start..
We are still suffering from disrespecting the trophy and losing jordan.
Score 1st v county and they wouldnt park the bus and counter which is the only thing they do well.
Credit to the lads for keeping probing but we could have played all night...and not scored.
Learn how to defend and take corners please

I agree with all that, but I do think Stockport should be given credit for the way they defended and denied Altrincham spaces to run down the sides, meaning that Hemmings and Johnston had to keep cutting inside, where they ended up outnumbered. Williams can't defend as well as Richman, and Richman moves the ball on quicker. No coincidence I think that the unbeaten run matched his time out injured.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 07:42:10 AM by Hale Alty »

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 06:06:19 PM »

I agree with posts above. For me as others say . We have failed since the trophy game. Always play your strongest 11 in my opinion. Deserved nothing today. We need to learn from this.

Onwards to Guiseley.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 06:29:49 PM »

Apologies but I appear to be a jinx.

I've only seen three Alty matches in the last eight months and each one has seen the Robins fail to score a goal (Buxton away last April and the two defeats at Edgeley Park this season).

Dispiriting stuff this afternoon, as some of the previous correspondents have already observed. County appear well and truly to have our number.

I was never that convinced by Williams during his previous spell at the club and he was simply abject this afternoon.

Harrop seemed lost; Hancock was outmuscled and both Hemmings and Johnston were largely peripheral figures.

Sang looked somewhat lightweight to me.

Did we really disdain and sacrifice the FA Trophy for that?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:39:36 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 06:55:21 PM »

We've got to do something different against them on NYD. Maybe play 2 up front (Hulme and Sang). I didn't go today, but in the cup match we looked vulnerable at every set piece. Maybe start Harrison for height? Will White be back any time soon. Bit harsh on Willo: he's still a bit rusty after being out and was certainly our best player in the cup game against them. They scraped a draw against Alfreton last time out; they're not that great. They've just got our measure, so need to do something different.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »

Couldnt go because of family commitments but straight away I wondered why Williams started over Richman,who has been solid.
I really rate our management but since the trophy game I have been slightly concerned with some decisons.
Dropping both centre backs in the trophy game was a mistake.
Playing Thompson in any game is a huge mistake, so so many mistakes and he plays one of the most vital roles. I watch keepers come to Moss Lane and there arent that many mistakes and there are numerous occasions during a game that Thompson makes my heart miss a beat. He makes our defence nervous. Harsh but football is harsh, get rid.
Play Wynne but look for a proven keeper.
I can't fault Hulme's effort but he needs to stop the ref back chat as that may have been a yellow in the trophy (wrongly or rightly) but he had just given the ref loads for the 5 mins beforehand. I said it last season but Moult needs to have a word or grip him straight away.
The sooner we get Hulme back and Hancock as number 10 the better. They just click really well. Need Richman in centre mid.
I rate Williams and Harrop but we defo concede more with them both in the team. I think Richman just covers more ground than any other centre mid we have. He's a machine.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:19:12 PM by oneedham »

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »

Even if PP wasn’t that bothered about the Trophy (which I’d find hard to understand), we should have given everything to beat them in the Trophy because it would have been such a help going into these two matches. As it is, they’ve become a bogey team for us and it’s partly with our contrivance.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »

I've said before Williams is a decent player but doesn't suit our current team. Him and Harrop have never worked well together either. We suddenly gained pace and momentum when Richman came on and I was disappointed and surprised he wasn't starting. I think we miss Andy White more than we realise too.

All teams have bogey sides and Stockport are clearly ours, as Warrington were last season. A disappointing afternoon but a great turnout from Alty fans.

Onwards and upwards 😁

Paul
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:32:53 PM by PaulClementsLaments »

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 07:23:58 PM »

Even if PP wasn’t that bothered about the Trophy (which I’d find hard to understand), we should have given everything to beat them in the Trophy because it would have been such a help going into these two matches. As it is, they’ve become a bogey team for us and it’s partly with our contrivance.
Agreed. I think too many changes during that game was a mistake. Momentum has been massively affected as it meant the majority of the first team didn't play for 2 weeks.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2018, 07:32:54 PM »

Fair result against a solid and well organised Stockport side.

We won't break them down with so many loose passes and the 2 wingers drifting all over, hard to know what Hemmings position was at times. Hancock tried hard but got naff all service most of the game. New loanee did OK & looked liked he might offer a bit of a plan B but changes were too late.

Williams seemed to start OK but went downhill quickly after he won a tackle but a free-kick was given Stockport's way. Williams then ranted at the officials & it seemed to affect his concentration.
Too many of our lot played too many poor passes, not just Williams.

Need to sack off this short corner routine ASAP and give us a chance on set pieces. 2-3 passes then out to Max Harrop to do a twirl on edge of the oppo box and lose possession? Against a solid defence like Stockports just get it in the mixer.  

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2018, 09:41:08 PM »

Hugely disappointing. I thought Max barely got a touch in the first half. Everything went through Williams but mostly he couldn't find a forward pass. The first goal was like it was scored in slow motion Interplay was sadly lacking. It looked like the team had only recently met.
A complete mess really.

Looking for much better at Guiseley.

New loanee showed promise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport County - Match Thread