PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The final Stockport - Match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The final Stockport - Match thread  (Read 20841 times)

decman7

Re: The final Stockport - Match thread
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2019, 05:58:35 PM »

Very frustrating four games against Stockport. They're a good organised side who we'll probably end up playing in the play offs.

The thing that annoys me the most, is with all the defeats or draws that we have had this season, theres been one glaring observation. When teams stop us playing the great style of football Phil has brought to the club, we don't have a plan b. We just continue to do the same things over and over again. We need to try something a little different when that is the case, because otherwise we won't win the scrappy games.

We'd have to go on a mega bad run not to finish in the play offs, and I can't see that happening. We've not suddenly become a bad team, we've just been out manged on 4 occasions, which is annoying.

Onwards to Boston. Up The Robins.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2019, 06:45:03 PM »

Yesterday was the first Alty home match that I have attended since April 2017 and, alas, my sequence of watching the Robins fail to score a single goal now extends to four consecutive games.

Whilst poor old Tony Thompson might not exactly be a Jeff Wealands or a Stuart Coburn, he does seem somewhat unjustly to be receiving the brunt of the flak for yesterday's latest defeat at the hands of County.

In truth, we were simply devoid of the creativity to break them down (yet again) once they had got their noses in front and there was a dearth of effective options on the bench to change matters.

Both of their impressive full backs, Minihan and Duxbury, are far too good for Johnston and comfortably nullified his threat. Hulme may as well have been suspended again!

Neither Mantack nor Sang look to be of the sufficient quality required to propel us back into the play-off positions.

Thanks to the club and the supporters of both teams for the impeccably observed pre-match Roll of Honour.

My late father was certainly in some illustrious company there alongside such Alty stalwarts as Kevan Guiney, Kenny Palin, Pete Carroll, Isobel Riley and Bernard Taylor, to name but a few.  

My post about Tony Thompson was more about his ability in general rather than just yesterdays game. He looks petrified of coming for crosses and doesn't command his box at all,his shot stopping is decent though. Like I said about Mantack though,he can only play to the best of his ability when selected and his effort is not in doubt.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2019, 07:26:44 PM »

The rest of the team make mistakes too but it's not usually as disastorous as when the Goalie makes one. The reason why we are all moaning is because we are all hurting just as much as the players and coaching staff.

Hopefully Boston won't have done their homework and plan A will bear fruit again this weekend.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2019, 07:38:36 PM »

Boston did a job on us at ML when teams didn't know to do a job on us!

I don't think Thompson is a bad keeper, just don't think he that far in front of Wynne that he's nailed on to start no matter what happened the previous game
Full time and proud of it

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2019, 07:57:34 PM »

Yesterday was the first Alty home match that I have attended since April 2017 and, alas, my sequence of watching the Robins fail to score a single goal now extends to four consecutive games.

Whilst poor old Tony Thompson might not exactly be a Jeff Wealands or a Stuart Coburn, he does seem somewhat unjustly to be receiving the brunt of the flak for yesterday's latest defeat at the hands of County.

In truth, we were simply devoid of the creativity to break them down (yet again) once they had got their noses in front and there was a dearth of effective options on the bench to change matters.

Both of their impressive full backs, Minihan and Duxbury, are far too good for Johnston and comfortably nullified his threat. Hulme may as well have been suspended again!

Neither Mantack nor Sang look to be of the sufficient quality required to propel us back into the play-off positions.

Thanks to the club and the supporters of both teams for the impeccably observed pre-match Roll of Honour.

My late father was certainly in some illustrious company there alongside such Alty stalwarts as Kevan Guiney, Kenny Palin, Pete Carroll, Isobel Riley and Bernard Taylor, to name but a few.  

My post about Tony Thompson was more about his ability in general rather than just yesterdays game. He looks petrified of coming for crosses and doesn't command his box at all,his shot stopping is decent though. Like I said about Mantack though,he can only play to the best of his ability when selected and his effort is not in doubt.

Fair enough. You will have observed him in action on far more occasions than I have (plus I recall that goalkeeper was your position!).

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2019, 08:47:32 PM »

Stockport have a backbone of captains running through their side; often promotion-winning ones at that.

It’s no surprise they’re well drilled.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2019, 09:14:38 PM »

Fair enough. You will have observed him in action on far more occasions than I have (plus I recall that goalkeeper was your position!).

I’ve actually only seen him 5 or 6 times myself Cult but I can tell from those games compared with the many keepers we’ve seen at Moss Ln that’s he’s not quite good enough. We were always goin to have trouble finding an adequate long term replacement for Stu though!!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2019, 09:43:07 PM »

The years seem to get cruleur  the older i get . So many memories across Mr Guiney Kenny and the General RIP x
ParkINson's red and white army

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2019, 12:22:53 AM »

I find it difficult to understand some of the blame comments being levelled at certain players on here.  Stockport have proved, again, that they have the measure of us.  They have quality from 1-11 and know how to manage the play; I’d not be surprised were they to win the league and fair play should they manage to.

For our part, Hampson and Richman worked hard through 90, others found it harder.  I do consider the level of criticism TT is getting to be unfair and while I appreciate  there is a  case for playing Wynne, bringing him in to face  Stockport would have been a big ask.  Mantack, on the other hand, looks out of his depth but I hope I’m proved wrong.

So onwards, smarting from a disappointing Xmas perhaps but, hopefully, a bit wiser too.  Third place may have flattered us and fanned the flames of optimism, however, if we regain the form we’ve shown during much of the season so far, we have every right to consider ourselves worthy of the play-offs.

rapscallion

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2019, 12:42:07 AM »

Amidst all this despondency, I think its timely to reflect on how far we have come in the last 18 months, show some gratitude to the management and players, and count our blessings. Much to learn from the Stockport experience, but onwards and upwards in 2019.  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »

I find it difficult to understand some of the blame comments being levelled at certain players on here.  Stockport have proved, again, that they have the measure of us.  They have quality from 1-11 and know how to manage the play; I’d not be surprised were they to win the league and fair play should they manage to.

For our part, Hampson and Richman worked hard through 90, others found it harder.  I do consider the level of criticism TT is getting to be unfair and while I appreciate  there is a  case for playing Wynne, bringing him in to face  Stockport would have been a big ask.  Mantack, on the other hand, looks out of his depth but I hope I’m proved wrong.

So onwards, smarting from a disappointing Xmas perhaps but, hopefully, a bit wiser too.  Third place may have flattered us and fanned the flames of optimism, however, if we regain the form we’ve shown during much of the season so far, we have every right to consider ourselves worthy of the play-offs.
Quality post.

ianpickles

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2019, 08:38:58 AM »

Top post, rapscallion. IF we get promoted my feeling is we will face a lot of teams who will be able to 'do a Stockport' on us. Certainly the management team are on a learning curve and the last few games must be making them think differently about how they are having to approach games. The players must also be having to rethink how they can get past the Stockports of this world.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2019, 09:07:23 AM »

Quality post.

I don't think people are just blaming Thompson or Mantack for the defeat. They were simply better all over the park.

However Thompson should be discussed on a fans forum because he consistently makes mistakes. We were so lucky to have Coburn and over 10 years plus we had him there were very few mistakes. Thompson in 2 years has made mistake after mistake. I said it last season but a decent keeper makes you 10 points plus.It's harsh but whilst he plays he will lose us points.
It has to be discussed and it needs addressing. He has had more than enough chances. It needs sorting ASAP and for now that has to be Wynne.

As for Mantack, it appears very obvious he is not good enough. Harrop for left wing for now until that position is also addressed.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2019, 09:17:44 AM »

To add PP has always said that if players aren't performing others will step in. Wynne is maybe not the long term answer but he made one mistake and was dropped. That isn't fair when TT has game after game to try and redeem his mistakes.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2019, 04:45:53 PM »

To add PP has always said that if players aren't performing others will step in. Wynne is maybe not the long term answer but he made one mistake and was dropped. That isn't fair when TT has game after game to try and redeem his mistakes.

Absolutely.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The final Stockport - Match thread