PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chorley match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Chorley match thread  (Read 19323 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Chorley match thread
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »

Well, that turned into a major reality check for some people on a very gloomy afternoon in darkest Chorley.

We were the better side in the first half, however that second-half capitulation containing some very questionable defending was all rather alarming.

The options on the bench are extremely limited, as Mantack, Williams and Sang (did he manage to have a kick after he came on?) are not capable of changing a game favourably.

Interesting match now looming next Saturday against much-improved Southport, who are now merely four points behind us.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2019, 07:13:12 PM »

4-1 was harsh but again architects of our own downfall. Only go to in at HT 1 up has really cost the game. Hancocks free kick was very close, Richman should have scored. The first 2 we conceded were well worked from Chorley, the 3rd was a complete embarrassment (how the ball is allowed to bounce is beyond basic), the 4th was down to law of averages (if a team with 2 giants have 20 corners, they'll score from 1). I don't think Leather is a better CB than what we have but the 3rd would have not have occurred if he'd have been defending it.

Can see why Johnson came off for Mantack (who did ok) but no idea why Sang replaced Harrop.

Great thanks turn out from us again (just need Cult to stay away!)

Huge apologies but my dear wife wants her tranquil Saturday afternoons back.

Besides, I wanted to visit the hometown of one of my musical heroes, namely John Foxx (no wonder he left there as soon as he could).

At least I witnessed my first Alty goal in five consecutive matches though.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2019, 07:52:30 PM »

Chorley have been knocking on the door for a few seasons now, just like Harrogate last year it’s probably their turn to go up, expect them and Stockport to do it.

Only listened on the Radio and it sounded like an excellent first half turned into a sub par second which Chorley ruthlessly exploited. One away clean sheet by mid-Jan tells it’s own story though. We’ll need to do better at the back if we are to challenge at this level.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »

We need :

1. To press home our advantage when we're in control. Should have been arguably 3-0 up at half time.

2. To stop giving the ball away cheaply when we're under no significant pressure.

3. To work harder on our handling of balls coming high into our box. Thompson doesn't take control, and there's often an unmarked opponent.

4. To get a forward in to support Hulme and feed off him. Sang is nowhere near good enough.

5. To get rid of Mantack. He's so lightweight I'm surprised Trading Standards aren't on the case.

We have a basically promising squad, and we play a lot of nice football, but if we make the playoffs (which I still believe we can), there'd need to be major upgrades in the event of our actually winning them.

We we're beaten by a decent outfit today. In the second half, they raised their game admirably, but the hill they climbed to come from behind should have been steeper, and strewn with rocks.

Southport next - the most improved team in the league. We'd better wise up by next week.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2019, 08:20:52 PM »

Not at the races second half.
We need a fit Poole once his loan period is done
We need a keeper (where have I heard that before)
We need a striker to support Jordon (where have I ..........)
Most importantly we need a plan B and some subs who can come on and make a difference, not like for like...

Cmon Alty don't let the season drift by.
Southport next let's get at them and give them a beating.
Nice to say hi to Mr Coburn...

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2019, 08:52:45 PM »

Moving on, Southport will be really tricky. Since they brought in a couple of ringers from Bolton, they've barely dropped a point. Their defence is unrecognisable to that which succumbed so tamely to us earlier in the season. They'll make the play offs and present a serious challenge to either Stockport or Chorley. Having said all this, they won't fancy taking us on at our place. They never do. I have a horrible feeling that PP has dug his heels in over the keeper unfortunately. Fylde clearly don't want Ash, but we can't make them loan him out. Just got to hope they find the striker they want in the coming week so they can let him come back. It's really harsh I know, but I'd release Mantack and send Sang back. Alas, they're not what we need.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2019, 09:10:38 PM »

Genuinely thought we’d get something today after studying their form against the better sides (suppose that’s why you don’t get poor bookmakers etc...), but they were so clinical that it could have ended up 7 or 8 if they’d have bothered with the first 30 mins/we hadn’t started so well.

We also need to do something about the right wing. JJ has been AWOL for a few weeks now (hopefully just needs a rest), and playing Hulme our there for a lot of the game, like today, isn’t the answer.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 11:47:25 PM »

One goal for our dominance in the first half wasn’t enough. Should have been at least three. Just weren’t clinical enough plus the woodwork and last ditch clearance/blocks.

Second half we were undone by clinical finishing , poor defending, poor substitutions. I also don’t understand why we don’t shoot when we have a good opportunity.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 12:25:44 PM »

Over the winter period we've been shown how far off the top we are currently - and the good news is that it's nowhere near as far as we thought it would be at the start of the season.

A good goalkeeper doesn't just do the basics; he gets his defence out of jail once or twice a game. Thompson does neither. Much like proven goalscorers, good goalkeepers are tough to find - particularly mid season. I fully expect PP is monitoring the situation, but there's no point in getting any old keeper just for the sake of it. It's that type of recruitment policy that got us in trouble.

I actually thought we defended magnificently in the first half. We dealt witb everything they put into the box. Maybe it's a concentration thing, to a man we were dreadful second half. I thought Leather was fabulous marshalling their back line, I do miss him.

The players need to be encouraged to shoot on sight; we seemed to be doing this more often in the first half when their goalkeeper was struggling with the wet surface, and we obviously got our goal from it. When JJ was through in the second half, he wasn't in too dissimilar a position to Wilson when he scored their second. Guess what - he put his lace through it. Their goalkeeper didn't look much better than ours.

We definitely need some better options off the bench, however considering how little we've seen of two of pur best players last season (Poole and Harrison) we're not doing too bad. We badly missed Poole's ball retention yesterday, nobody does it even remotely as well as him, and that's the difference at this level.

I wasn't too impressed with shouts of 'murderer' at Meppen-Walters. The lad might deserve some stick, but I'd like to think we're better than that (I appreciate some will disagree).

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2019, 12:34:59 PM »

Over the winter period we've been shown how far off the top we are currently - and the good news is that it's nowhere near as far as we thought it would be at the start of the season.

A good goalkeeper doesn't just do the basics; he gets his defence out of jail once or twice a game. Thompson does neither. Much like proven goalscorers, good goalkeepers are tough to find - particularly mid season. I fully expect PP is monitoring the situation, but there's no point in getting any old keeper just for the sake of it. It's that type of recruitment policy that got us in trouble.

I actually thought we defended magnificently in the first half. We dealt witb everything they put into the box. Maybe it's a concentration thing, to a man we were dreadful second half. I thought Leather was fabulous marshalling their back line, I do miss him.

The players need to be encouraged to shoot on sight; we seemed to be doing this more often in the first half when their goalkeeper was struggling with the wet surface, and we obviously got our goal from it. When JJ was through in the second half, he wasn't in too dissimilar a position to Wilson when he scored their second. Guess what - he put his lace through it. Their goalkeeper didn't look much better than ours.

We definitely need some better options off the bench, however considering how little we've seen of two of pur best players last season (Poole and Harrison) we're not doing too bad. We badly missed Poole's ball retention yesterday, nobody does it even remotely as well as him, and that's the difference at this level.

I wasn't too impressed with shouts of 'murderer' at Meppen-Walters. The lad might deserve some stick, but I'd like to think we're better than that (I appreciate some will disagree).

Murderer doesn't sound nice.
However, it is true. If you asked the parents of the two victims they would agree...
Plus.. he has just been banned for another 2 years for drink driving.
It wasn't me who called him a murderer.
8 months in jail doesn't admonish his selfish actions.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »

He deserves all that he gets.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2019, 03:05:08 PM »

A lady with her young daughter made the same remark to me, I thought we were a bit better than that and was surprised to hear that chanted. He maybe a complete moron after being caught DD a few weeks ago after the incident he was prior involved in resulting in the death of people. Tragic as it was it wasn’t/isn’t murder, that’s a premeditated act. I feel the CPS probably went with the more realistic charge of death by dangerous rather than manslaughter and him then being found not guilty. Again, I’m not defending the bloke he appears to be a loose cannon.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »

'manslaughterer' has too many syllables to get in a chant
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:51:06 PM by robininstockport »
Full time and proud of it

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »

"Killer"  would be a shorter and accurate term, avoiding the legal niceties, for someone who said he was "embarrassed" when he was caught again recently.
I would be embarrassed if he played for my club, just as I was embarrassed when we employed Simon Lenighan.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2019, 04:44:13 PM »

By engaging in that sort of chant we bring ourselves down to his level. And that's pretty damn low.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chorley match thread