PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chorley match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Chorley match thread  (Read 19663 times)

Mausoleum Alty

Re: Chorley match thread
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2019, 06:34:52 PM »

By engaging in that sort of chant we bring ourselves down to his level. And that's pretty damn low.

Erm,not really! A chant at a football match is hardly the same level as killing someone by driving like a T**t then deciding to drink drive when you get your licence back!!

andrewflynn

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2019, 07:04:26 PM »

By engaging in that sort of chant we bring ourselves down to his level. And that's pretty damn low.

Give over.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2019, 09:19:54 AM »

I dunno, I'd rather focus on the football to be honest. And it's not like he didn't have the last laugh now, was it?

We all know what he is. He knows what he is. I'd rather not have sections of our own fanbase feel uncomfortable about it (regardless or not of your own individual view).

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »

Chorley fc must be aware that by employing this individual, they are inviting these sorts of chants from opposing fans and bringing disrepute upon their club. Surely after his second indiscretion, they would have had grounds to fire him?

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2019, 12:58:19 PM »

Chorley fc must be aware that by employing this individual, they are inviting these sorts of chants from opposing fans and bringing disrepute upon their club. Surely after his second indiscretion, they would have had grounds to fire him?
Football seems to be above the law. That is why the FA allow dodgy people to run football clubs.
They really should be beating teams like us

andrewflynn

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »

I think the post game interview is one of, if not Phil Parkinson's best since joining the club. Frank, honest assessment.

We also need to do something about the right wing. JJ has been AWOL for a few weeks now (hopefully just needs a rest), and playing Hulme our there for a lot of the game, like today, isn’t the answer.

I touched on this recently. I think JJ is in dire need of a rest but we have no alternative.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2019, 01:38:43 PM »

Over the winter period we've been shown how far off the top we are currently - and the good news is that it's nowhere near as far as we thought it would be at the start of the season.

A good goalkeeper doesn't just do the basics; he gets his defence out of jail once or twice a game. Thompson does neither. Much like proven goalscorers, good goalkeepers are tough to find - particularly mid season. I fully expect PP is monitoring the situation, but there's no point in getting any old keeper just for the sake of it. It's that type of recruitment policy that got us in trouble.

I actually thought we defended magnificently in the first half. We dealt witb everything they put into the box. Maybe it's a concentration thing, to a man we were dreadful second half. I thought Leather was fabulous marshalling their back line, I do miss him.

The players need to be encouraged to shoot on sight; we seemed to be doing this more often in the first half when their goalkeeper was struggling with the wet surface, and we obviously got our goal from it. When JJ was through in the second half, he wasn't in too dissimilar a position to Wilson when he scored their second. Guess what - he put his lace through it. Their goalkeeper didn't look much better than ours.

We definitely need some better options off the bench, however considering how little we've seen of two of pur best players last season (Poole and Harrison) we're not doing too bad. We badly missed Poole's ball retention yesterday, nobody does it even remotely as well as him, and that's the difference at this level.

I wasn't too impressed with shouts of 'murderer' at Meppen-Walters. The lad might deserve some stick, but I'd like to think we're better than that (I appreciate some will disagree).

Players returning from injury would undoubtedly strengthen the bench (which would definitely be a positive right now), but would they start? For me, Hancock is a more effective player than James Poole, and Harrison wouldn’t get in the first eleven ahead of Hannigan or Jones. Fully agree that there is no point making signings for the sake of (that’s how Sang happens), but we do need players coming in who are better than the ones we currently have. 

Owen Dale showed the levels that could be achieved by some of the other players, when we inject that extra bit of quality into the side that we don’t already have. We gained more points in the 10 league games that he started than we have in the other 15 games that he hasn’t started. Indeed, averaged out over the season, the points/game with OD in the starting line up would have got us to the lofty heights of 3rd place in last season’s National League North!
However, the points/game return in the other matches this season without OD would have seen us avoid relegation by only 4 points in last year’s league table...

That’s not to downplay the contribution of others this season, or suggest that players of that quality are easy to come by at this level (full credit to everyone involved in making that loan happen BTW), or even that they would need to be half as good as Owen Dale. It’s just that anyone coming into the side would need to be better than those they are replacing in order to make a significant difference over the 2nd half of the season, and I can’t see either Poole or Harrison being able to make that sort of impact.

Here’s hoping for positive news this week regarding incoming signings/loan players, before two key home games in quick succession that could set the tone for how we kick on for the rest of the season.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2019, 02:28:10 PM »

I find myself in total agreement with Matt again ! What's come over you m8 :D ;

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »

Over the winter period we've been shown how far off the top we are currently - and the good news is that it's nowhere near as far as we thought it would be at the start of the season.

A good goalkeeper doesn't just do the basics; he gets his defence out of jail once or twice a game. Thompson does neither. Much like proven goalscorers, good goalkeepers are tough to find - particularly mid season. I fully expect PP is monitoring the situation, but there's no point in getting any old keeper just for the sake of it. It's that type of recruitment policy that got us in trouble.

I actually thought we defended magnificently in the first half. We dealt witb everything they put into the box. Maybe it's a concentration thing, to a man we were dreadful second half. I thought Leather was fabulous marshalling their back line, I do miss him.

The players need to be encouraged to shoot on sight; we seemed to be doing this more often in the first half when their goalkeeper was struggling with the wet surface, and we obviously got our goal from it. When JJ was through in the second half, he wasn't in too dissimilar a position to Wilson when he scored their second. Guess what - he put his lace through it. Their goalkeeper didn't look much better than ours.

We definitely need some better options off the bench, however considering how little we've seen of two of pur best players last season (Poole and Harrison) we're not doing too bad. We badly missed Poole's ball retention yesterday, nobody does it even remotely as well as him, and that's the difference at this level.

I wasn't too impressed with shouts of 'murderer' at Meppen-Walters. The lad might deserve some stick, but I'd like to think we're better than that (I appreciate some will disagree).

Players returning from injury would undoubtedly strengthen the bench (which would definitely be a positive right now), but would they start? For me, Hancock is a more effective player than James Poole, and Harrison wouldn’t get in the first eleven ahead of Hannigan or Jones. Fully agree that there is no point making signings for the sake of (that’s how Sang happens), but we do need players coming in who are better than the ones we currently have. 

Owen Dale showed the levels that could be achieved by some of the other players, when we inject that extra bit of quality into the side that we don’t already have. We gained more points in the 10 league games that he started than we have in the other 15 games that he hasn’t started. Indeed, averaged out over the season, the points/game with OD in the starting line up would have got us to the lofty heights of 3rd place in last season’s National League North!
However, the points/game return in the other matches this season without OD would have seen us avoid relegation by only 4 points in last year’s league table...

That’s not to downplay the contribution of others this season, or suggest that players of that quality are easy to come by at this level (full credit to everyone involved in making that loan happen BTW), or even that they would need to be half as good as Owen Dale. It’s just that anyone coming into the side would need to be better than those they are replacing in order to make a significant difference over the 2nd half of the season, and I can’t see either Poole or Harrison being able to make that sort of impact.

Here’s hoping for positive news this week regarding incoming signings/loan players, before two key home games in quick succession that could set the tone for how we kick on for the rest of the season.

Good post. There must be some hungry young players in the two league below who have potential to step up. I wonder how many scouts the club has?

Matt Taylor

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2019, 04:57:21 PM »

I find myself in total agreement with Matt again ! What's come over you m8 :D ;

I tend to find that most people do come round eventually Ian.

Perhaps we should have an in-depth discussion on how best to fund any potential additions, just to keep us both on safe ground?  :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Chorley match thread