PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Need a keeper asap
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Need a keeper asap  (Read 9976 times)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Need a keeper asap
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2019, 12:15:02 PM »

Just watched the highlights, TT should have done better sorry to say. Poor defending as well. But we need to find a new keeper if Wynne is not the answer.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 06:13:06 PM »

Not at all comparing standards but this Spurs and United game is emphasising the importance of a good keeper.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »

Not at all comparing standards but this Spurs and United game is emphasising the importance of a good keeper.

Perfectly acceptable to make the point - you find a competent one and your defence can relax.  Find one like Stu and they're the real difference.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 02:38:59 PM »

Perfectly acceptable to make the point - you find a competent one and your defence can relax.  Find one like Stu and they're the real difference.

Agreed. Just a vital position that we shouldn't put plasters over. It should be priority to get it right.

Jezza

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 08:12:17 PM »

like finding a decent striker getting a top keeper is easiest done close season...we'd be lucky to find a club willing to release a stu Coburn at this stage of the season....
I have been critical that close season signings were poor....but we are left with our best 11 being practically last season's team ....a lot of that was down to PP giving last season's team the chance to prove themselves in this league....

I suspect and hope next close season the quality of new signings will be better and in the right areas...and PP may have to be hard and let go a few who will be unlucky to leave...

For me Jake Moult has been outstanding but having him in front of the back 4 leaves Richman to run a midfield single handedly.....against poor teams we do not need a covering midfielder and against better sides the midfield is overrun....I think this is a difficult situation which needs addressing....probably by having Williams or harrop with richman in front of jake and JJ roaming both wings.....even then we still have the issue of Jordan ploughing a lone furrow up front.....

As for the keeper, yes ideally we want the best keeper....a commanding presence who gets everything, commands the defence and distributes perfectly.....but I reiterate in the absence there is not much between Elliot and TT and I feel TT is being slated because we do not have anyone better....and when the defence defends properly he is a good shot stopper and distributes brilliantly 95% of the time and gets slated for the 5% Of balls that fly over JJs head....but I make his distribution rate similar to our other players...we accept JJs 95% blind alley runs and weak crosses and shots for the 5% brilliance....

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 09:19:25 PM »

My opta stats have Thompson pass completed percentage at 80. Not too bad , on a par with De Gae I would think. I agree there is nothing between Thompson and Wynne, which makes it all the more puzzling why one has been favoured so heavily.

I thought Johnson was our most threatening player on Saturday
Full time and proud of it

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 08:48:25 AM »

like finding a decent striker getting a top keeper is easiest done close season...we'd be lucky to find a club willing to release a stu Coburn at this stage of the season....
I have been critical that close season signings were poor....but we are left with our best 11 being practically last season's team ....a lot of that was down to PP giving last season's team the chance to prove themselves in this league....

I suspect and hope next close season the quality of new signings will be better and in the right areas...and PP may have to be hard and let go a few who will be unlucky to leave...

For me Jake Moult has been outstanding but having him in front of the back 4 leaves Richman to run a midfield single handedly.....against poor teams we do not need a covering midfielder and against better sides the midfield is overrun....I think this is a difficult situation which needs addressing....probably by having Williams or harrop with richman in front of jake and JJ roaming both wings.....even then we still have the issue of Jordan ploughing a lone furrow up front.....

As for the keeper, yes ideally we want the best keeper....a commanding presence who gets everything, commands the defence and distributes perfectly.....but I reiterate in the absence there is not much between Elliot and TT and I feel TT is being slated because we do not have anyone better....and when the defence defends properly he is a good shot stopper and distributes brilliantly 95% of the time and gets slated for the 5% Of balls that fly over JJs head....but I make his distribution rate similar to our other players...we accept JJs 95% blind alley runs and weak crosses and shots for the 5% brilliance....

Interesting that Chorley play a back three (although I felt their system struggled against us first half), hypothetically if Harrison reaches full form and fitness I was wondering whether such a system would be feasible for us.

In theory it would probably suit the two full backs we have, and if we have our two midfielders screening in front, it could give our front three a bit more attacking licence.

Call me mad, but as Jake goes into the twilight of his career he could drop into a back three also (I know he's done this in the past)?

As it happens, I think such a change would be too drastic at this stage - but I have to admit I gave it some thought after Saturday.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 09:27:42 AM »

My opta stats have Thompson pass completed percentage at 80. Not too bad , on a par with De Gae I would think. I agree there is nothing between Thompson and Wynne, which makes it all the more puzzling why one has been favoured so heavily.

I thought Johnson was our most threatening player on Saturday

The trouble is that the wayward passes often put us under intense pressure. He also does a million short passes which bulk up his average success passes. In most games I see a lot of long balls going out of play.
I am far more concerned about his poor decision making when coming off his line or out for crosses. He has a severe lack of authority in that box. No wonder we concede from so many set pieces.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Need a keeper asap