PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Blyth - Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blyth - Match Thread  (Read 7210 times)

andrewflynn

Re: Blyth - Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 11:27:26 AM »

We need a thorough explanation of how, when and why we use these covers because at the moment they’re coming across like a waste of time and donated money. I may be wrong, but forgive me for thinking they should have been used overnight - what else did we get them for if not?

I agree - I'm getting quite frustrated about them.

If they aren't going to be used in conditions like these, to give games like tonight the best possible chance of being on, then I really do see no point in them in the first place. May as well have put it towards a roof on the away end so home fans aren't treated like cattle.

andrewflynn

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 12:47:01 PM »

Match off.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 01:08:12 PM »

Not disappointed given the forecast.
Re the covers...   If putting them on kills the grass or stops the water evaporating then why did we use to borrow them from Lancashire Cricket club?

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »

We need a thorough explanation of how, when and why we use these covers because at the moment they’re coming across like a waste of time and donated money. I may be wrong, but forgive me for thinking they should have been used overnight - what else did we get them for if not?
Totally agree.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 01:27:30 PM »

Frost

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 01:38:21 PM »

Frost

Taggart

Sorry I thought we were playing name a TV detective  ;)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 02:01:16 PM »

I match your taggart and raise you Vera  ;D

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 02:27:15 PM »

Frost

They're on the wrong side of the pitch then for frost - its in front of the main stand that has no sun on it that gets the last of the frost.

https://www.matchsaver.com/altrincham-fc-prepare-for-winter-with-matchsaver/

" Positioned pitchside the roller/covers are inflated and rolled out onto the pitch to protect from the rain and snow."

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 03:30:14 PM »

Not seen that before, they are high tech. Not sure why they weren't used last night?

Although I believe they only cover parts of the pitch and not the whole pitch as originally thought?

I did chip in towards them as others and would like to see them in use occasionally to try and get a fixture on.

andrewflynn

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »

Frost

Hilarious.

Jezza

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 03:53:18 PM »

Id be fuming if i had donated...
I didnt donate as i had a feeling it would be money down the drain.
On this occasion its no big hardship...no advantage lost..
But if we get some repeated saturday postponements it will get very annoying.

Maybe we should appeal for donations to replace the covers with something more useful....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:07:34 PM by The Thriving Jezza »

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 05:35:16 PM »

Frost

They're on the wrong side of the pitch then for frost - its in front of the main stand that has no sun on it that gets the last of the frost.

https://www.matchsaver.com/altrincham-fc-prepare-for-winter-with-matchsaver/

" Positioned pitchside the roller/covers are inflated and rolled out onto the pitch to protect from the rain and snow."

It says on the website 8 covers are required to protect an entire pitch. I'm assuming we weren't offered 8 at the discounted price so we use what we have on the most vulnerable areas if possible (presumably the Golf Road goalmouth, corner and  pop side touch line)? If that is the case I can understand why a game could be called off if other areas become waterlogged even if the covers are deployed. Difficult to understand why they wouldn't be used given the forecast.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:41:01 PM by JTH »

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 07:33:06 PM »

It’s dissapointing but unlike last season where we seemed to have a game pretty much every midweek, we have absolutely loads of free midweeks between now and the end of the season. I suspect even if we had got it on, playing on the pitch tonight might have had longer term detrimental effects for the remainder of the season on the pitch. Blyth also in excellent form just now-it might suit us to play them at a later date. Also Lem will be playing a full 90 tonight vs Stockport so we should be fresher for Saturday.

So, all in all it might be a blessing in disguise.

Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Blyth - Match Thread