News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 1966 and all that ...

Author Topic: 1966 and all that ...  (Read 3185 times)

roytonmike

1966 and all that ...
« on: January 22, 2019, 12:01:25 PM »

For the historically minded - 53 years ago today we made our first appearance in the FA Cup 3rd Round, at Molineux against Wolves. It was before my time - my first game was in 1968. We lost 5-0 but it was our first defeat of the season!

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 and all that ...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 12:15:32 PM »

i was there.the pitch was covered in snow and people were throwing snowballs at each other,in a fun way.
Harold

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 12:21:48 PM »

I was at that game . I was 12 years old,
 Jackie Swindells scored but it was disallowed as he used his hand to score it.
Happy days.

altycliff

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 01:53:48 PM »

I was also there and by coincidence was also 12,my father took me,i remember it well,we were high up in a stand on the side of the ground.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »

I was half as old again as Ray and Cliff, and stood behind a goal with the girl of my dreams. My first experience of us against a League outfit, and quite a chastening experience. To make matters worse, the young lady met a guy with a Norton Dominator not long afterwards, and blew me out.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 05:17:19 PM »

I was half as old again as Ray and Cliff, and stood behind a goal with the girl of my dreams. My first experience of us against a League outfit, and quite a chastening experience. To make matters worse, the young lady met a guy with a Norton Dominator not long afterwards, and blew me out.
Phil, I was also behind the goal and I think I drove my dad to the match. I went home with a girl on a motorbike  ;D

Seriously, having watched such a magnificent season, and having travelled all the way to the frozen north - Rochdale - in the previous round, the defeat was a massive disappointment. The snow and ice was so bad the match should never have been played.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »

I was 15 and was convinced we were a league team in all but name.
This was the game which brought me down to earth.
After Jackie getting 4 in the last 6 minutes against Scarborough (2 in the last minute I think?) and then going up to Rochdale had and winning there (I believe Les Campbell, he of the enormous shin pads, scored) I actually thought we'd get a result at Wolves. The whole thing was a rude awakening to do with the relative age of our team, our fitness compared to them and the skill levels on display. We did our best but they really were in a different league.
It brought me down to earth but it certainly didn't put me off the Super Robins and I've seen all our 3rd round matches since them (and one in the fourth round against a team that was two leagues higher than us at the time but is now well behind us in this league this season).
Those days can come again with PP if we all believe (and the team does too!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 1966 and all that ...