Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tony t  (Read 6606 times)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Tony t
« on: January 29, 2019, 07:06:59 AM »

Just a few words re Tony. I think he has been scapegoated recently for our defeats. Agree drench is a top keeper and pleased we have got him but lets not forget to relay our thanks to a keeper who helped us escape from the pit of the evostick
Bernard Taylors barmy army

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Tony t
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:14:38 AM »

Simply a top bloke who is 2 maybe 3 leagues out of his depth.

The decision had to be made.

Wish him all the best but that is the harsh reality of football.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:54:57 AM »

Simply a top bloke who is 2 maybe 3 leagues out of his depth.

The decision had to be made.

Wish him all the best but that is the harsh reality of football.

That's a little harsh. He won the Evo Stik league so he's better than 2.or 3 leagues below.

He has however 1 perhaps 2 below conference Premier standards
It's all my fault.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 08:05:51 AM »

Tony has served us well. I still remember him single-handedly winning us the FA Trophy tie at Alfreton last season. I sincerely wish Tony well, wherever he lands up.

andrewflynn

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 08:55:53 AM »

Tony has served us well. I still remember him single-handedly winning us the FA Trophy tie at Alfreton last season. I sincerely wish Tony well, wherever he lands up.

He was absolutely unreal that day.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:25:56 AM »

Have I missed something regarding his release?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 09:37:55 AM »

I think the criticism it a tad over the top.

There's no doubt though that Drench is a cut above.

I'm assuming that all 3 keepers are on a contract, but no idea when they run to. I reckon Wynnes and Thompsons run until the end of this season?

I can see Thompson moving on but Wynne being our number 2 at least until next seasons conclusion.
Full time and proud of it

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 09:54:20 AM »

Steve Drench is, of course, a goalkeeping coach at Blackburn Rovers. Both TT and Elliott can benefit from his knowledge in the coming months, before either of them move on.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »

Just a few words re Tony. I think he has been scapegoated recently for our defeats. Agree drench is a top keeper and pleased we have got him but lets not forget to relay our thanks to a keeper who helped us escape from the pit of the evostick

Totally agree. The lad is due some respect for the number of clean sheets he kept last season and for being a championship winner. Maybe he has struggled this season but no more than several others in the team who have found the step up a level difficult. Unfortunately the goalkeeping position is one that come under more scrutiny than most.

andrewflynn

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »

Totally agree. The lad is due some respect for the number of clean sheets he kept last season and for being a championship winner. Maybe he has struggled this season but no more than several others in the team who have found the step up a level difficult. Unfortunately the goalkeeping position is one that come under more scrutiny than most.

Agree with both posts.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 05:01:18 PM »

The clean sheets were more to do with a very good team and defence in a poor league. I wish him the best but no need to keep both him and Wynne on the payroll.

Jezza

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 07:59:42 PM »

The clean sheets were more to do with a very good team and defence in a poor league. I wish him the best but no need to keep both him and Wynne on the payroll.

Apart from them both being under contract of course.....

I can remember memorable saves against buxton away shaw lane away and warrington home and away.....and against York city at home this year whilst 0-0....

You really are a berk sometimes.....you ever thought your posts along with others and shouts from the terraces have had an adverse effect?....whilst also acknowledging TT normally got a good reception and a chorus of tony...tony Thompson when taking to his area in front of the golf rd....

I think this has been handled badly by PP, if I was Elliot I'd be totally demotivated.

I'm very glad some agree with me and have posted a bit of respect for a vital cog in our title win....a win far more important than making the play offs this year....and recognition that Tony has been unfairly scapegoated....be careful what you wish for.....an injury to our new keeper and then where are we.....

Not that I don't agree every team needs a really top commanding keeper....I personally am far more annoyed at Jordan Hulme currently....

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 08:11:07 PM »

I can remember memorable saves against buxton away shaw lane away and warrington home and away.....and against York city at home this year whilst 0-0....

You really are a berk sometimes.....you ever thought your posts along with others and shouts from the terraces have had an adverse effect?....whilst also acknowledging TT normally got a good reception and a chorus of tony...tony Thompson when taking to his area in front of the golf rd....

I think this has been handled badly by PP, if I was Elliot I'd be totally demotivated.

I'm very glad some agree with me and have posted a bit of respect for a vital cog in our title win....a win far more important than making the play offs this year....and recognition that Tony has been unfairly scapegoated....be careful what you wish for.....an injury to our new keeper and then where are we.....

Not that I don't agree every team needs a really top commanding keeper....I personally am far more annoyed at Jordan Hulme currently....

Well said
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:14:18 PM by PaulClementsLaments »

decman7

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 09:48:37 PM »

Drench is top quality. Probably one of, if not the best in the league. Glad we've managed to sign him.

However, Tony isn't a poor keeper. He isn't a great keeper either. He's 24 and maybe working with Drench maybe he will become a really good keeper. To say he's 2-3 levels above where he should be is ludicrous.

The way we treat some of our own players at time is really poor. Seems every season theres a scapegoat.

Just get behind them, its not that hard.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 10:21:01 PM »

I personally thought Tony was a weak link last season and was massively out of his depth this year. I also agree that he was shielded by a very good defence for the level we were playing at last season. Parky has sorted it, so fair play, even though I think he should have changed it weeks ago.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tony t