PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Spennymoor Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Spennymoor Match Thread  (Read 9163 times)

buchanj9

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Re: Spennymoor Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 12:05:26 AM »

I thought Max pulled up whist tracking back. I hope I am wrong.

Yeah i thought i saw this too

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 12:37:29 AM »

Bright start - young winger had a really decent first half

They just contained us and scored with there only two real chances - reckon we had 75% possession first half and a little less in the second. We could have played until midnight and not scored. Worrying lack of cutting edge upfront. Worse still due to injuries and suspensions, absolutely no plan B when things were clearly having no effect at two down
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 08:29:37 AM »

Parkinson going down the Lee Sinnott route.of management.

Not willing to change formation
It's all my fault.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 08:33:39 AM »

Both goals came as a result of us losing possession at vital moments. The first essentially came about when Hannigan's first touch let him down from Drench's clearance and we failed to close down when they took quick advantage. The second came directly from Hancock's error.

OK, they were a well organised team who are playoff certainties at least - they could even win automatic promotion - but we didn't really ever look like scoring. JJ was totally ineffective, Pigott largely anonymous. Ceesay looked useful, but lacked an outlet for most of his good work.

However, the root of the problem for me is the amount of passing sideways or backwards. We inevitably allow opponents time to organise their defence well before we reach the final third. Unless we become essentially more direct, we won't progress.

We can still make the playoffs, but I don't see much prospect of winning them, since we'd inevitably have to beat one of Stockport, Chorley, or Spennymoor.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 08:37:32 AM »

I couldn't make it again last night so unable to comment on the game.
The one recurring comment that has been a constant throughout the season and gives me the greatest concern is the fact that we haven't a plan B.
Imo. This will be the one thing that prevents us progressing in this league.
I've said on numerous occasions when we play to our potential then not many teams can live with us, however when we don't we are merely average, this I'm afraid will make us short of a playoff spot.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 08:59:53 AM »

To be fair to JJ he was double marked for much of the second half. They knew where the threat would come from. Unfortunately for us, it's not from corners.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »

Bright start but it was evident early on Spennymoor weren't giving much away. They were very calm and confident, and were happy to let Altrincham have the ball until it really mattered, and then they just mopped it all up. Their discipline was given away by the half time substitutes warm up. While Alty players had a kick about Spennymoor players went through training drills. Despite them containing at least three players who were clearly overweight they had a bit of pace. Their football is a bit boring (maybe this is just the way they play away) but I suppose if you keep winning who cares...

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 09:16:22 AM »

You can have as many plans as you like, but if your best striker manages to get himself suspended for 1/5 of the season you're going to be at a considerable disadvantage. It's not the only factor, but it is a big one.
Come on Alty!

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »

Both goals came as a result of us losing possession at vital moments. The first essentially came about when Hannigan's first touch let him down from Drench's clearance and we failed to close down when they took quick advantage. The second came directly from Hancock's error.

OK, they were a well organised team who are playoff certainties at least - they could even win automatic promotion - but we didn't really ever look like scoring. JJ was totally ineffective, Pigott largely anonymous. Ceesay looked useful, but lacked an outlet for most of his good work.

However, the root of the problem for me is the amount of passing sideways or backwards. We inevitably allow opponents time to organise their defence well before we reach the final third. Unless we become essentially more direct, we won't progress.

We can still make the playoffs, but I don't see much prospect of winning them, since we'd inevitably have to beat one of Stockport, Chorley, or Spennymoor.
Spot on.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 10:15:46 AM »

Ceesay had a decent first half.

We were so slow going forward. Moult is looking very tired and slow again. As soon as he got on the ball they had all their players back in position.

JJ's final ball continues to be poor and it baffles me that he takes corners. On that note our set pieces are awful.

Again we looked tired and they had far more energy. I would consider Richman and Williams in the middle of the park for a couple of games or go to three in there until Jordan returns.

Hancock had his worst game but he has been class so he was due an off game.

Hannigan may have misplaced a touch for their first, I missed this, but he was by far our best player last night.

Again not sure what Fawes will bring to us. Just simply not good enough without Jordan and another winger of the Dale or Hemmings calibre.

Credit to Spennymoor who were far better than us. Pressed very high and had solid with energetic players. Very organised and weren't scared of putting in a decent tackle. They had far more in their tanks, I spotted our tiredness on Sat and it is a worry.

I have been watched the last two games from the stands and it is obvious how slow our build up play is. We need to move the ball a lot quicker, it was easy for them to get shape.

Problem we have is JJ takes a while to get in the right positions and young Piggott doesn't move towards the ball and it doesn't stick up top with him. Desperately need Jordan, no more reds please mate.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:18:14 AM by oneedham »

andrewflynn

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 10:44:50 AM »

We haven't been at it for a while now but still, we find ourselves in a good position to sneak the play-offs which we'd all have taken in our first season back here. Of course it's all down to our good run earlier in the season and I just hope we can re-find that form in time to keep pace with the sides around us, plenty of whom we've shown we can outplay.

Huge turnout at Curzon Ashton is required. Stick behind the lads. As a fan base we have a tendency to enjoy the spoils of the good runs and then go full-on Doomsday when we hit a slump, or perhaps that's just football fans in general. We know we're better than our form over the last few weeks, with or without a player of Dale or Hemmings' quality, so I'm still confident we have enough to up our game once again.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »

We haven't been at it for a while now but still, we find ourselves in a good position to sneak the play-offs which we'd all have taken in our first season back here. Of course it's all down to our good run earlier in the season and I just hope we can re-find that form in time to keep pace with the sides around us, plenty of whom we've shown we can outplay.

Huge turnout at Curzon Ashton is required. Stick behind the lads. As a fan base we have a tendency to enjoy the spoils of the good runs and then go full-on Doomsday when we hit a slump, or perhaps that's just football fans in general. We know we're better than our form over the last few weeks, with or without a player of Dale or Hemmings' quality, so I'm still confident we have enough to up our game once again.

Spot on.

Will hopefully be there on crutches.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »

The forum comments after last night's game have been encouraging to read in one sense - we realise that on our day we can live with anyone in this league but recognise that with suspensions, injuries and a general loss of form, we're not at our best right now. Fans (of any club) can be quick to turn on a team that isn't firing on all cylinders but this team and management have earned our respect. We do need an an alternative plan though as other teams are getting wise to us. The excellent Alty TV highlights probably don't help our cause there but everyone is on video these days.

A quick word about the pitch... though the weather this winter hasn't been as bad as last season and we haven't played a game in conditions like the Witton game last year, the playing surface is looking much better than it did this time last season. Looking at videos of games at Moss Lane from last February it is clear there has been a big improvement so well done to the staff looking after the pitch.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 02:57:49 PM »

You can have as many plans as you like, but if your best striker manages to get himself suspended for 1/5 of the season you're going to be at a considerable disadvantage. It's not the only factor, but it is a big one.

We were poor before missing Jordan. We've also failed to replace Jordan.

Two up top might help out a bit.

Bringing in Cisse, Piggott the lad from. Curzon and Barrow can't have been cheap. So the money could have gone in bringing a striker from the league below on a more permenant deal.

It's all my fault.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 03:06:52 PM »

In my opinion and it's a very long shot we need to try and get dale or hemmings back.hemmings was sub last night
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Spennymoor Match Thread