PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The playoffs
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The playoffs  (Read 8490 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
The playoffs
« on: April 23, 2019, 07:34:55 AM »

For those of you who haven't worked it all out, these are the possibilities before Saturday's match at Ashton United :

1. We will finish in our present position of 5th, even if we lose, because we have a four point cushion over Blyth Spartans who are currently 6th.

2. If we win on Saturday, and Spennymoor lose across town at Curzon, we will finish 4th. Obviously, the latter is very unlikely. In any event we are definitely playing at home on Wednesday May 1st.

3. If we were to finish 4th we would play the team who finish 7th, but the more likely scenario would see us playing the team in 6th.

SO....who are the likely opposition ? There are three clubs in contention for 6th and 7th places ::

BLYTH SPARTANS are currently 6th, and finish at home to Southport. My money is on them to finish 6th, but it should be noted that their manager has already publicly stated that the board have told him they cannot afford promotion. He's been told to cut costs and recruit lower league players for next season. Morale may be low in consequence of that.

BRADFORD PARK AVENUE are 7th, and need to win away at Chorley. Since Chorley need to win to have any chance of pipping Stockport to the title, this is unlikely in the extreme. They also need to keep the margin of defeat down because they could still earn the last playoff spot if they lose....

....and AFC TELFORD also lose at York City. At the moment, Bradford are one goal better off than Telford, and have scored more goals.

I predict that the playoff first round games will be Alty v Blyth, and Spennymoor v Telford - but there are all sorts of possibilities in there.

SO.... let's assume that we can beat Blyth, and get into the semis. That almost certainly means a trip to Chorley. We would need to be at the very top of our game, but that match is winnable if we are.

In that case, we would earn the right to play at home in the final. BRACKLEY would be the most likely opponents, but I wouldn't rule out Telford if they sneak into 7th spot - they could be a threat to everyone.

The only real certainty is that there will be twists and turns galore along the way. Fasten your seatbelts - it's gonna be a bumpy ride !

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The playoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 08:15:27 AM »

If we do make it to the final and play a team who has finished  above ie Brackley ot Spennymoor won't they get home advantage ?

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »

If we do make it to the final and play a team who has finished  above ie Brackley ot Spennymoor won't they get home advantage ?

That's what I thought - surely it's got to work that way (regardless of us playing in 'Match A' or whatever the hell they want to call it) otherwise the new playoff system would contradict itself to the extreme.

In all likelihood I assume it's looking like the following:

1st May: Blyth (H)
5th May: Chorley (A)
12th May: Brackley (A)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:34:27 AM by MarpleAlty »

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 10:55:02 AM »

If we do make it to the final and play a team who has finished  above ie Brackley ot Spennymoor won't they get home advantage ?

That's what I thought - surely it's got to work that way (regardless of us playing in 'Match A' or whatever the hell they want to call it) otherwise the new playoff system would contradict itself to the extreme.

Yes this is going to be it, cant see it being much fun going to brackley but will take itif we get that far, old memories creeping in.
On a different note then , would make sense to rest Hulme, hannigan, ceesay, moult, hampson and densmore on saturday, the game really doesnt matter
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 12:53:30 PM »

We’ve got a great record at Brackley

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 12:58:25 PM »

Last time we rested a load of players for a game, it took us about a month to recover our momentum. I understand the desire to keep players fresh, but I think we ought to be very careful about making wholesale changes.

As regards home advantage, the only scenario where we could be at home in the final is if the 7th placed team gets there (assuming that we do finish 5th). Obviously, we have several hurdles to negotiate before we need to concern ourselves about that! :)

Come on Alty!

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 01:44:45 PM »

I may be wrong but I took it as a given that if we beat the 2nd placed team, we'd be at home v the 3rd place team. Like I say, probably wrong but would be good to find out for certain.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »

I may be wrong but I took it as a given that if we beat the 2nd placed team, we'd be at home v the 3rd place team. Like I say, probably wrong but would be good to find out for certain.

Not true. Highest place team in league position
It's all my fault.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 03:05:37 PM »

OK, cheers

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 07:01:04 PM »

Any idea why the Semi and Final are on a Sunday? If the PL title goes to the final day then it’s a direct clash. Seems odd scheduling to me even without that added fixture clash. Should always be Saturday 3pm for the big event at our level.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 07:33:26 PM »

Any idea why the Semi and Final are on a Sunday? If the PL title goes to the final day then it’s a direct clash. Seems odd scheduling to me even without that added fixture clash. Should always be Saturday 3pm for the big event at our level.

Its not good and would stop some people travelling to a potentail final but worry about if it happens

Birkonian

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 08:48:53 PM »

The National League website doesn't state the venue for the final.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 08:53:43 PM »

The National League website doesn't state the venue for the final.

Ground of the highest placed finalist

Birkonian

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 09:02:45 PM »

I always thought that but it doesn't specify.

roytonmike

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 09:54:03 PM »

I always thought that but it doesn't specify.
Alty Files website says specifically that the winners of the semi-finals then play each other at the ground of the higher placed club.
I always find John L has done his research appropriately!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The playoffs