PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ashton Match Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ashton Match Thread  (Read 10380 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Ashton Match Thread
« on: April 23, 2019, 08:49:21 PM »

Someone put it in the other thread, but:

Do we play our strongest team, or do we rotate?

I would be inclined to rotate (I think we'll have enough to beat Ashton anyway), given 4th might not make that much difference to 5th.

The likes of Harrison, Poole, Chadwick and Dolan should be given as many minutes as possible.

Similarly I don't think Hulme needs to be rested because he should still be fresh from all the games he's missed...

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Ashton Match Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:35:40 PM »

I think Spennymoor will beat Curzon, too, anyway,  not that 5th is any worse than 4th in the scheme of things.

I think back to the Trophy game against Stockport, when we made several changes, and, even though the newcomers didn't do anything wrong at all, we seemed to lose momentum after such a good run. With so few games remaining, it's not as if we have to prepare for a fixture pileup, so I would play the strongest possible team, without risking anyone with injuries, at Ashton.

roytonmike

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 10:06:31 PM »

Well, if the management did decide to rotate, I would have thought Moult, Hannigan & Hulme prime candidates for a rest. There is an argument for giving your second-choice keeper game time in case he's needed later (think McMillan v Droylsden a few years ago). On the other hand, there is an argument for playing White, Jones & Johnston, assuming they are all fit by weekend, to get them back into the swing of things. As the relegation places are now settled there would be no 'moral problem' as to team selection v Ashton, and I don't really see Spennymoor slipping up at Curzon, if I'm honest. All that said, I for one am not going to try to second guess Messrs. Parkinson & Sorvel - well, not in public at least! They have brought us further this season than I thought possible so deserve to be trusted implicitly for the remaining games - whether two, three or four.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:50:23 AM »

Maybe give Hannigan a rest - incredible how many minutes he's played this season compared to previous.

I want to have a proper look at Dolan.

Perhaps give Chadwick a proper run up front if we rest Hulme.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »

I wouldn't make loads of changes at the risk it will disrupt our playoff games.

I would rest Hannigan and Moult. Both have been fantastic this season.

I would rest Hulme aswell because he is vital for the playoffs.

Defo would like to see Dolan start and I would play a centre mid of Harrop and Richman.

Need to start Poole for game time so maybe start Hancock left and rest Ceesay, who is another big player for us.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:17:02 AM by oneedham »

andrewflynn

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 09:40:09 AM »

Full trust in Parky and Sorvs should they wish to rotate heavily, slightly or not at all. For what it's worth I wouldn't want us to rest more than 2 or 3 and even then I would do so only if they are complaining about a niggle of some sort. We are a momentum team that goes on runs, and I'd hate for us to go into the play offs cold.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 09:59:26 AM »

Full trust in Parky and Sorvs should they wish to rotate heavily, slightly or not at all. For what it's worth I wouldn't want us to rest more than 2 or 3 and even then I would do so only if they are complaining about a niggle of some sort. We are a momentum team that goes on runs, and I'd hate for us to go into the play offs cold.
I can agree with that on the provision that the moment Hulme picks up a yellow card he is subbed
Bernard Taylors barmy army

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 10:32:05 AM »

Apologies to the team but I've more or less decided to sit this one out. There's nothing at stake.  I'll save my money for the playoffs.

I'm expecting a victory but more important is no injuries.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 03:30:04 PM »

I'd rest Hannigan, Moult, Hancock and Ceesay and I'd play Dolan in the 10.

Are having a end of season balloon bonanza?

Aston 0-2 Alty. Hulme, Jones

Full time and proud of it

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »

Blind optimism? Shown wrong calls against Stockport rotating players in the only time he's done it this year.

Im sure we played Heathcote and Richman in a shuffled back 4 away somewhere once too.
It's all my fault.

buchanj9

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 04:53:54 PM »

Blind optimism? Shown wrong calls against Stockport rotating players in the only time he's done it this year.

Im sure we played Heathcote and Richman in a shuffled back 4 away somewhere once too.

Rushall away, Heathcote subbed off at half time after having a shocker at left back and we lost 2-0

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 04:59:35 PM »

I'd be more worried if we were trying to protect a winning run - but we're not.

Will be interesting to see who he puts out.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »

I think he will keep the majority of the first 11 but look at players who need mins i.e. Poole, Dolan, Jones, Richman, Harrop and possibly Drench because he will be rusty.
I would have Drench as No.1 all day long but he will go TT in the playoffs so Drench could do with 90 mins to blow off the cobwebs just incase he is needed.

andrewflynn

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »

Why have you got to flip this in to a negative?

In essence, being a fan of a football team is grounded in blind trust. I just support our manager and his assistant in the decisions they make, and I trust them to learn from decisions that didn’t work out. It’s how being a supporter works.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 06:57:08 PM »

I thought it was interesting that Wynne was sub keeper on Monday - does that mean Drench has an injury?
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ashton Match Thread