PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next Season
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Next Season  (Read 14685 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Next Season
« on: May 06, 2019, 08:04:50 PM »

So now the dust has settled, I can't wait for us to get stuck in again next year - as many have already identified, no relegated National League sides plus gaining Oxford and Gloucester (in all likelihood) means we should be well in the picture. A lot will depend on how the so-called 'bigger' clubs like York, Chester and Kiddy manage to strengthen, and also Kettering will probably have a good bounce and seemed to win their league comfortably.

Hard to know where to stremgthen, I wouldn't release a single player. If anything - as harsh on TT as it sounds as he's been great in the past few weeks - I'd go all out to try and find a truly 'Rolls Royce' keeper for this level, or invest in a young lad with lots of potential to be here for a number of years. Given our links with Crewe (and also Nantwich) getting someone like Will Jaaskelainen on a loan might be a good idea.

Stockport fans have set up a thread debating which of our players they'll take - the one I'd be most worried about is Hancock being a replacement for Warburton, who is Football League bound. With that in mind, I'd be delighted to run again with the same squad.

Where else do we need to strengthen?

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Next Season
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 08:30:09 PM »

I would maybe release Chadwick and look for a more mobile striker to back up Hulme, assuming he stays with us.

We defo need to sign a consistent, strong and pacey left winger.  Just a shame Rivers resides too far away.Potentially Dolan maybe given a few games out wide but he is a central player.

Unfortunately for Dolan we have the likes of Poole, Hancock and Harrop so I think he will be used as a wide player next year.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »

I can only see Drench and or Wynne ,and Chadwick  going one or two may fancy a change of regular football and decide to go  ,priority is left midfield although we have players who can play there a quality wide left player could make a difference,maybe a midfield play maker and back up striker that's presuming all the others stay.

Bath Alty

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 09:03:36 PM »

Agreed - keep what we've got.  Get a left winger in so that next year's loanees can be brought in when Jordan is suspended.  We'll struggle to get the quality we need when he is out who is willing to sit on the bench most weeks.

Do we need three keepers?  Elliot on the bench is fine and potential for the future but will that be for us given TT's age?  Drench and TT fighting for top spot is good competition for places and harsh on TT to get someone else in given how he finished the season - just spend the summer learning how to keep it on the pitch from a goal kick!

3 good full backs two of whom can play both sides if needed so no issues here.

3 good centre halves, Moult as emergency cover, no issues here either

Williams, Moult, Richman & Harrop CM also fine but there might be better out there in terms of creativity?

Wingers - only really JJ who inspires confidence at the moment, Dolan has potential as cover here but this is the priority over the summer

no 10 Hancock vs Poole either are great

CF Hulme but only cover is an AM playing out of position, Poole OK at a stretch but we miss Jordan when he's out.  Maybe keep Chadwick as cover with the odd game on the wing to keep him happy but I'm not sure he has the natural fitness to just play the odd game and get 90 minutes out of him?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:04:48 PM »

First and foremost is to get the management team signed up.

Assuming they stay I think the vast majority of the squad will stay.

We can't be be having 3 keepers and there's no way id let Thompson go. Personally I'd keep Wynne mainly due to finance.

Definitely need a left winger, Hemming doesn't get near flyde and if they go up he'll be on his way.

Need a proper cf to push Hulme and I'd like a creative box to box midfielder.

Full time and proud of it

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:05:29 PM »

Oh yeah, forgot about Chadwick. Possibly Wynne if he's not in contention, let the lad get some first team football.

Could it be worth trying Hancock on the left of a proper front three, cutting in (much like Messi / Salah etc) and get him closer to Hulme, as there are occasions he's isolated up top?

I know PP tried 433 to great effect at Southport earlier in the season, but it seemed to unravel quite quickly afterwards and he reverted back to 4231.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 09:47:38 PM »

Think Fawns is still on our books. He will most certainly leave.

I would go Drench and Wynne.

As mentioned above we are missing a midfield playmaker. I do think Harrop has it in him, just needs some coaching and discipline.

Wide players is our priority.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 09:55:51 PM »

I completely agree that a fluid, creative, energetic central midfielder is what we need. It's odd to say that because obviously Williams is that player in the current team and he's done well but I just feel that he's lacking in a way I find it hard to put my finger on.

It's no co-incidence that our two good runs of form this season have come when we've had a really good on-loan left winger (Dale and Ceesay). Finding the right player to offer a comparable threat out wide to Johnston is the other priority. I'd be looking to sign two wide players.

Otherwise, I'd stick with what we have.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 09:07:29 AM »

Another raid on Nantwich?

Sean Cooke was named in the Evo-Stik team of the season and we've known him to be good for a while now in that midfield berth. Plays for his dad but has also played for Parky and might fancy a go at the higher level now after another playoff loss.

They have a young striker (Malkin?) who was also named as the league's young player of the year - would he be willing to come here and be Hulme's understudy, and wait for his chances? EDIT: just checked, he's on a 2-year contract from the start of this year so I assume that would rule him well out of contention for now.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 09:51:13 AM »

As mentioned above we are missing a midfield playmaker. I do think Harrop has it in him, just needs some coaching and discipline.

I believe that Mason Fawns was a non-contract player, therefore would be a new signing if he returned, which seems unlikely.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 10:06:17 AM »

Sean Cooke was named in the Evo-Stik team of the season and we've known him to be good for a while now in that midfield berth. Plays for his dad but has also played for Parky and might fancy a go at the higher level now after another playoff loss.

They have a young striker (Malkin?) who was also named as the league's young player of the year - would he be willing to come here and be Hulme's understudy, and wait for his chances? EDIT: just checked, he's on a 2-year contract from the start of this year so I assume that would rule him well out of contention for now.

I saw Joe Malkin play in the CSC Final a couple of weeks ago & he did well, albeit against Cammell Laird 1907, who play 3 divisions below Nantwich.
He was on the bench for the Play-Off Final against Warrington last week, which is a shame as he is an interesting young player & I would have been interested to see how he did against Warrington's very decent defence.
He is the son of Chris Malkin, the former Northwich Victoria & Tranmere striker & is very similar in style.
One to watch.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:08:20 AM by Brian Flynn »

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 10:13:23 AM »

I believe that Mason Fawns was a non-contract player, therefore would be a new signing if he returned, which seems unlikely.

Cheers

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 11:19:09 AM »

I saw Joe Malkin play in the CSC Final a couple of weeks ago & he did well, albeit against Cammell Laird 1907, who play 3 divisions below Nantwich.
He was on the bench for the Play-Off Final against Warrington last week, which is a shame as he is an interesting young player & I would have been interested to see how he did against Warrington's very decent defence.
He is the son of Chris Malkin, the former Northwich Victoria & Tranmere striker & is very similar in style.
One to watch.

Cheers Brian - he's clearly very well-regarded as I can't imagine a club like Nantwich would hand out 2-year contracts lightly. Fair play to them for protecting themselves if (as they suspect) a bigger club come knocking.

Jezza

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »

I would like to see Dolan come into it next season.

And a committed top left winger.

Rolling it around in my head there is a few I'd release but the main problem for me is how to fit Hancock and Poole into the side....and I'm wondering about Dolan and Poole in CM....but both are ball players not sure how Dolan is at ball winning...and then there is no room for Moult.....but if Poole plays with Jordan up front we are not getting the best out of Josh....nice problems to have

I trust Parky to make the 2 or 3 quality signings needed in the right areas.....really out of last season's signings only Williams came good towards the end....

A few tough decisions needed I think....we definetly have the backbone of a title winning side

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 01:35:53 PM »

We've got a great squad that doesn't need much tweaking. I agree with an earlier post about Williams - tidy and industrious but doesn't power forward in the way that, say, Richman does. I don't think he quite suits our style of play. TT will doubtless start as number one next season given his end of season form and I wouldn't be surprised to see Drench leave. I'd like to see a permanent left winger rather than a succession of loans, no matter how successful they have been. Also, as much as I like JJ, a winger who can cross accurately and consistently would be good!

Thoroughly enjoyed this season and its brilliant to see the buzz about the place again with supporters old and new really buying into the club. My thanks to all involved, can't wait till next season.

Paul
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next Season