PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next Season
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Next Season  (Read 14418 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Next Season
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 05:02:49 PM »

That's why I figured someone like Sean Cooke would be quite good - seems to chip in with plenty of goals/assists and could possibly be played alongside Poole with one holding midfielder in a 433 most games.

We're all assuming Poole gets back to his absolute best, which is obviously a question we haven't had properly answered yet.

I still think Hancock coming in off the left in a front three could work - it gets him closer to everything in a way the same sort of role in a 4231 wouldn't (if that makes sense).

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 05:33:34 PM »

That's why I figured someone like Sean Cooke would be quite good - seems to chip in with plenty of goals/assists and could possibly be played alongside Poole with one holding midfielder in a 433 most games.

We're all assuming Poole gets back to his absolute best, which is obviously a question we haven't had properly answered yet.

I still think Hancock coming in off the left in a front three could work - it gets him closer to everything in a way the same sort of role in a 4231 wouldn't (if that makes sense).

Everyone has the right to an opinion but there is no way Poole can play midfield in this league. He is quality but hasn't got the engine.

We will have to see but I would only play the fittest and best James Poole otherwise we aren't as solid.

Poole is only a nmber 10 for me and until he gets fit then it is Hancock all day long for me. Hancock plays closer to Hulme, both those two will score more goals together than Poole and Hulme. Really hard decision but Poole needs to be match fit and remain fit.

I think will be a big season for Harrop who has all the attributes to be a box to box player  but it is discipline in positioning and temperament that needs developing.

Wide players are priority as when our wingers are playing well we open teams up. I am a fan of JJ but his crossing, especially from dead ball situations is really poor. On that note we need someone else on set pieces next year.

TT had a tremendous end to the season but I still feel he is too weighty and his kicking is rubbish. I just see more quality in both Drench and Wynne.

Need another no.9 but as PP said it will be hard to find anyone who would want to come and sit on the bench.  Hulme will always play and rightly so it will be hard to find a player for that position.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 06:05:39 PM »

Everyone has the right to an opinion but there is no way Poole can play midfield in this league. He is quality but hasn't got the engine.

We will have to see but I would only play the fittest and best James Poole otherwise we aren't as solid.

Poole is only a nmber 10 for me and until he gets fit then it is Hancock all day long for me. Hancock plays closer to Hulme, both those two will score more goals together than Poole and Hulme. Really hard decision but Poole needs to be match fit and remain fit.

I think will be a big season for Harrop who has all the attributes to be a box to box player  but it is discipline in positioning and temperament that needs developing.

Wide players are priority as when our wingers are playing well we open teams up. I am a fan of JJ but his crossing, especially from dead ball situations is really poor. On that note we need someone else on set pieces next year.

TT had a tremendous end to the season but I still feel he is too weighty and his kicking is rubbish. I just see more quality in both Drench and Wynne.

Need another no.9 but as PP said it will be hard to find anyone who would want to come and sit on the bench.  Hulme will always play and rightly so it will be hard to find a player for that position.

I'm a big Poole fan. I think once he has had a good pre season and got fully fit he could be a major asset.

I would like to see Steve Drench stay at the club, he has to be one of the top keepers in non lge.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 06:50:47 PM »

I'm a big Poole fan. I think once he has had a good pre season and got fully fit he could be a major asset.

So am I; we're not particularly blessed with much pace, but we don't need to be in this league where we'd hope to be on the front foot most of the time.

What Poole gives us is ball retention in a way nobody else in the team can manage, much like Tom Kearney during his time with us. I think he can play midfield in a 4-3-3.

Parky knows better than all of us, I trust him to make the right call!

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 07:07:15 PM »

TT had a tremendous end to the season but I still feel he is too weighty and his kicking is rubbish. I just see more quality in both Drench and Wynne

I think James would be the first to admit that he needs to get match fit and remain fit...hardly rocket science lad and I’m sure the pre-season will go a long way to help him achieve this. He didn’t do too badly at Salford in this league so I wouldn’t right him off yet. I’ve said on here before that I’d like to see him alongside Jordan in a front three, which would work if we can’t get a decent left winger in and also allows us to accommodate Josh.

I really fail to understand your problem with Tony Thompson. In my memory he hasn’t made that many howlers over the last couple of seasons, Brackley mis-kick accepted, and to be honest, to me, his kicking isn’t a problem. I gauge you’ve been an Alty fan for a number of years so therefore witnessed Stu Coburn’s career? Although we all accept Stu was the greatest keeper we’ve had, his kicking was dreadful (except Runcorn away that day) and I recall our last seasons in the National league, his kicks weren’t making the halfway line and put us immediately under pressure when some meathead centre back headed it into our penalty area! I’ve no problem if some of Tony’s kicks end up in the popular side, the opposition don’t normally score from there!

For me we keep Thommo and Wynne and release Drench, who for the money I’ve heard he’s on, we can get another decent outfield player in.

Old Alt

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 09:23:46 PM »

We've got a great squad that doesn't need much tweaking. I agree with an earlier post about Williams - tidy and industrious but doesn't power forward in the way that, say, Richman does. I don't think he quite suits our style of play. TT will doubtless start as number one next season given his end of season form and I wouldn't be surprised to see Drench leave. I'd like to see a permanent left winger rather than a succession of loans, no matter how successful they have been. Also, as much as I like JJ, a winger who can cross accurately and consistently would be good!

Thoroughly enjoyed this season and its brilliant to see the buzz about the place again with supporters old and new really buying into the club. My thanks to all involved, can't wait till next season.

Paul

I think the one area of the team we need to think about for next season is the midfield. As you say Williams is a decent player, but with Jake sitting in front of the back four we need someone to move the ball forward in midfield. When Sean has done that he has looked really good, Stockport in the FA Cup in the first half springs to mind, when he was picking the ball up and distributing it. This is the key, too often this season, we have seen Jake and Sean playing deep and there is a big gap between our midfield and Hancock / Hulme up front.
I think Sean can be the answer, I think he brings the ball out well, we just need to get our midfield playing further up the pitch. When we have struggled this season, teams have had midfielders carrying the ball and we are playing too deep giving them space.

I know what you are saying about JJ getting the cross in, but overall he has been brilliant this season, he has been our main outlet, and you can see when our players get the ball in midfield they just look to get it wide to him. For me JJ is definately a starter.

The defence is rock solid, if we can keep all six of them (4 usual starters, plus Shaun & Ben),  midfield is OK, although I wouldn't mind someoone who acn carry the ball and certainly the left winger is a question.

For me the main hope is just to keep what we have.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 08:10:56 AM »

We have one of the best keepers in non league football in Drench. To release him in favour of an error prone Thompson would be absolute madness!

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 08:35:26 AM »

Drench would be my choice, but the manager has stuck loyally to TT (who has done really well in fairness). I can't see Drench hanging around to be a bench warmer.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 08:40:32 AM »

We've got a great squad that doesn't need much tweaking. I agree with an earlier post about Williams - tidy and industrious but doesn't power forward in the way that, say, Richman does. I don't think he quite suits our style of play. TT will doubtless start as number one next season given his end of season form and I wouldn't be surprised to see Drench leave. I'd like to see a permanent left winger rather than a succession of loans, no matter how successful they have been. Also, as much as I like JJ, a winger who can cross accurately and consistently would be good!

Thoroughly enjoyed this season and its brilliant to see the buzz about the place again with supporters old and new really buying into the club. My thanks to all involved, can't wait till next season.

Paul

Yes it's important not to get ahead of ourselves, the sooner we do that 'advent calendar' thing with the players we've signed on for next season, the better!

I do think Sean Williams has been underrated this season, his stats for Warrington show he can probably get further up the pitch if he wanted to, and I'm sure Parky is working on that.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »

Ashley Hemmings and a quality central midfielder would be good. For the money he is on id let Drench leave. Everybody else to stay.

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 09:52:57 AM »

We have one of the best keepers in non league football in Drench. To release him in favour of an error prone Thompson would be absolute madness!

Like I said, I don’t recall Thompson making that many goal creating mistakes. Check out the goal we conceded against Bradford in the special kit...I don’t think Drench covered himself in glory on that one and if it had been Thompson there’d have been an uproar.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 11:06:30 AM »

I certainly wouldn't term TT "error prone".

We haven't seen enough of Drench in an Alty shirt to form an opinion of how he integrates with our defenders but I can't say he stood out for me when we were knocking the goals in against BPA this season.  I'm sure he's a decent 'keeper but if he's that good he won't want to be sat around waiting for a game which is why I wouldn't be surprised if he left. I notice he wasn't on the bench much at the end of the season, has he been injured?

On the Williams point, he did play further forward for Warrington which is why he scored so many more goals for them. We need to get him into positions where he can shoot more. We've used him in a more defensively/holding role.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 11:28:08 AM »

Paul

Yes it's important not to get ahead of ourselves, the sooner we do that 'advent calendar' thing with the players we've signed on for next season, the better!

I do think Sean Williams has been underrated this season, his stats for Warrington show he can probably get further up the pitch if he wanted to, and I'm sure Parky is working on that.

It was a sticker book.
It's all my fault.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 01:42:39 PM »

Paul

It was a sticker book.

Thanks - I did think it was something along those lines, an advent calendar would have been a bit weird.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 03:52:46 PM »

liked the sticker book, can we do top trumps this year?
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next Season