PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 gateshead
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: gateshead  (Read 8640 times)

altytimperley

gateshead
« on: May 24, 2019, 06:18:18 PM »

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: gateshead
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 06:44:34 PM »

Aldershot win the AGM Cup.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 06:45:55 PM »

Feel sorry for the fans when this sh*t happens

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 06:48:45 PM »

Also re: point made in other thread...

I don't think this will change the lineup of our league. I assume any future guise of Gateshead will re-enter below the National League.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 06:51:57 PM »

Or would Truro get reprieved, given they got more points than Ashton, and Oxford stay South?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 07:05:13 PM »

If Truro get a reprieve, which is what I would expect, then they would just take the place vacated by Aldershot in NL South and I don't see it having any effect in the North. The article is clear that Gateshead have been suspended from the entire National League, not just the top division, although they do have the right to appeal.

Ironic as Truro have been having problems of their own all season.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 07:15:09 PM »

If they win the appeal, which seems unlikely, it won't affect us. If they don't, we'll only be affected if Truro can't take up the spot freed up by Aldershot. In that event, Ashton United would be relieved and Oxford City would stay put.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 07:30:41 PM »

Very sad day for Gateshead fans, I feel for them.
On a cautionary note,... it wasnt that long ago the Heed were being held up on here as being how external investment would progress a club.
This is the other side of that coin.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 08:17:09 PM »

If they win the appeal, which seems unlikely, it won't affect us. If they don't, we'll only be affected if Truro can't take up the spot freed up by Aldershot. In that event, Ashton United would be relieved and Oxford City would stay put.

But what happens in the NPL if they have to accommodate Gateshead? Either Ashton gets reprieved or a team gets moved across to the Southern League.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »

But what happens in the NPL if they have to accommodate Gateshead? Either Ashton gets reprieved or a team gets moved across to the Southern League.
The NPL aren't forced to accept them. They may have to start again from the very bottom like South Shields.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 11:17:42 PM »

Actually, for those who've never researched the links between Gateshead and South Shields, the following potted history may be of interest.

1899 : South Shields formed. They move to a permanent ground at Horsley Hill five years later, and are reasonably successful in North East regional football.

1919 : South Shields elected to the Football League Division 2. Relegated to Division 3 North in 1927.

1930 : South Shields fold. They immediately re-form as Gateshead, move to Redheugh Park, and continue in Division 3 North before failing to gain re-election in 1960 (replaced by Peterborough United).

MEANWHILE : South Shields start from scratch again in 1936, still at Horsley Fields. In 1950 they relocate to Simonside Hall. In the 1960's they are more successful than Gateshead.

1968 : Both clubs become founder members of the Northern Premier League. South Shields initially fare quite well, but Gateshead last only two seasons, and are relegated. Four years later, they go out of business, after playing their final season at Gateshead International Stadium (then known as the Youth Stadium).

1974 : South Shields have financial problems, which culminate in them selling Simonside Hall (a proper football stadium, now a housing estate) and relocating.... you've guessed it. They become Gateshead United.

1977 :  After more financial traumas, they re-form again, but are able to continue as Gateshead. They've lasted over 40 years in this guise, which is probably a record for a South Tyneside club.

MEANWHILE : South Shields Mariners are formed in 1977, and play in lower leagues for 18 years at council-owned Jack Clark Park. In 1995 they move to their own ground at Filtrona Park. Due to the increasingly decrepit state of the ground (it was derelict when they first went there), they move
to Peterlee in 2013 for two seasons.

2015 : South Shields return to Filtrona Park and it is renamed Mariners Park. Four seasons later they are beaten finalists in the Evostik Premier League playoff final.

2019 : Gateshead are expelled from the National League.

I think it's safe to assume that the Heed won't be merging with South Shields this time. The most blindingly obvious conclusion to be drawn from the history lesson above is that South Tyneside is totally unable to simultaneously sustain two clubs in separate towns at a decent level.

I don't like the International Stadium, and I don't think I'm alone in that view. In 1969, however, I was privileged to see us play at Simonside Hall. We lost 4-3, with the legendary pairing of Swindells and Worth up front. The fans were welcoming and knowledgeable. It was a proper non-league experience.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:22:43 PM by One Foot in the Grave »

KENNERLEY

• Youth Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 11:44:57 PM »

I too was at the game when we lost 4-3, what a day out that was, buffet laid on in the social club, seem to remember we took 3 or 4 coaches and stopped in York on the way home, had a lot to drink that day!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »

I too was at the game when we lost 4-3, what a day out that was, buffet laid on in the social club, seem to remember we took 3 or 4 coaches and stopped in York on the way home, had a lot to drink that day!

3 or 4 coaches....that's amazing.

Apart from the result, sounds like a perfect away day.

Here are George Heslop's reflections on that trip, including how the Alty fans overcame the difficulty of understanding the locals:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8CQRerBVA
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:21:52 AM by Brian Flynn »

Jezza

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 02:00:32 PM »

I'm incredibly confused as both sides claim the same history and perhaps share some of it but I cant find the point at which they each identify as separating.......it appears the real south shields are Gateshead and the real Gateshead are the current south shields...

Both their problem is their grounds one is too small and the other far too big...

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 03:09:44 PM »

I'm incredibly confused as both sides claim the same history and perhaps share some of it but I cant find the point at which they each identify as separating.......it appears the real south shields are Gateshead and the real Gateshead are the current south shields...

Both their problem is their grounds one is too small and the other far too big...

Basically, every form of Gateshead that has ever existed has had its roots in an earlier version of South Shields. The current South Shields have no ancient history, so are also truly from that town.

Therefore it's South Shields 2 Gateshead 0 if we're being honest.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 gateshead