News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gerry Casey RIP

Author Topic: Gerry Casey RIP  (Read 6418 times)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Gerry Casey RIP
« on: June 27, 2019, 01:44:18 PM »

I have just seen the sad news that our former player Gerry Casey has died at the age of 77.
Others will remember him better than me, but he was a tough tackling defensive midfielder when I was first watching in the seventies. RIP.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Gerry Casey RIP
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 03:13:55 PM »

Very sad news. I recollect him as being an absolute colossus of a centre half who certainly took no prisoners!

Here's a synopsis of his playing days with both Tranmere Rovers & Alty that I wrote as part of an article for the Robins Review back in August 2015:

GERRY CASEY

Tranmere: 49 (+3 as sub) appearances (including five goals) between 1967 and 1970.

Alty: Signed from Ellesmere Port Town by Roy Rees in May 1973, he amassed a total of 161 (+1 as sub) appearances and scored 10 goals until his release at the conclusion of the 1975/76 Northern Premier League season.

The epitome of an uncompromising centre half during his spell at Moss Lane, he has been cited by no less an authority than Alty's very own imposing hardman John King as being one of the most intimidating opponents that he ever encountered on a football pitch.

Merely a few minutes into his Tranmere Rovers debut against Torquay United in August 1967, he was dismissed for violent conduct (reputedly for decking a certain John Bond!). If you can believe what you read on Wikipedia, this duly made him the first ever player to be sent off on his debut in the Football League.

Here he is (far left) tackling Everton's John Connolly during the 1-1 draw in the FA Cup Third Round tie played at Goodison Park on Saturday, 4th January 1975.

Also captured in this photograph are Stan Allan, Graham Heathcote and (an obscured) John Owens:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 01:35:18 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

roytonmike

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 05:12:55 PM »

Very sad news indeed. A redoubtable centre-half & certainly not a man to be trifled with. One of the heroes of the 74-5 Cup run which ended at Old Trafford before more than 35.000 fans against Everton. May he rest in peace.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 05:26:35 PM »

R.I P Gerry Casey

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 06:03:37 PM »

Oh no!  A stalwart of our first great 70s side.

There’s a story about him, Kingy and Heathcote when JK was at Vics that goes something like:

Kingy to Heathcote  “try any of that fancy stuff and I’ll break your leg”

Gerry to Kingy “you touch him once and I’ll break both yours”

Heathcote untouched.

Imagine how hard you have to be to intimidate John King!

RIP Gerry

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 11:19:53 PM »

A genuine hard man who struck fear into opposing forwards. RIP Gerry and thanks for the memories.

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 12:26:23 PM »

understatement of the year; tough tackling.

I was only about 6 when he tough tackled the everton team off the park and can remember it was like it was yesterday.

RIP will always be remembered by those who saw him and I'm sure played against him.

Can you imagine anyone standing up to Kingy!!????

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »

Six foot two, eyes of blue, Gerry Casey's after you ....
I can't be sure about the first two bits but the last part was spot on. Uncompromising hardly covered it. He was an absolute rock. In the days when pretty much everyone was tough-tackling he stood out in my memory.

Very sad to hear of his passing.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 02:24:36 PM »

I saw him on my debut watching the club on 6th October 74. He was an integral part of the team then, he even looked hard to anybody who remembers him. I remember seeing him in the bar after a game, in the Red Robin Club - eventually Chequers. He came in after the game with a pint of Shandy, looked at me and nodded his head.

Thought jeez, wouldn't like to face him in a temper. I just said alright Gerry - nervously, and he said fine and asked if I enjoyed the game. I would have said yes even if I hadn't! After all I was only a 17 year old kid at the time.

Always a good player to have on your side, as the whole of that squad would probrably testify. Sad to hear of his death, admired and feared by opposition, and loved by our fans who were glad he was playing for, rather than against us. Wonder who the poor guy was at Alty who told him he was being released!!

RIP Jerry, and thanks for the memories, used to cringe when you went into a tackle with someone for a 50/50 ball, you never came off worse, ever!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 02:31:26 PM by Steve from Sale »

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 10:19:40 PM »

What a good player.
Many memories, God I’m getting old.
Sending my thoughts to his family.
Gerry Casey will always be part of the Altrincham family.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 08:40:08 AM »

very sad news,one of our greats. Rip Gerry
Harold

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 10:20:07 AM »

Great story about Gerry on John Laidlar's site. Truly old school  !

tmcav

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 02:19:42 PM »

Just seen the sad news about Gerry, he looked after me when I made my debut in a pre season game at Burscough, their centre forward said to Gerry who's the young lad in goal Gerry? he replied he's going to be our keeper this year and if you get any closer to him I'll break your back now F**K Off. Looked after me, never had any problems when Gerry played. The other side to Gerry which people forget he was a good footballer.RIP
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gerry Casey RIP