PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Noel White | R.I.P.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Noel White | R.I.P.  (Read 8450 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Noel White | R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 03:53:36 PM »

Thanks Brian,always called Noel 'Uncle Noel' as he was the uncle of one of my mates,Big BIg Shock this new is.Rip Noel and regards to all Noels family.
Harold

roytonmike

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 04:49:27 PM »

This club owes so much to Noel White. May he rest in peace.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 08:10:19 PM »

A true titan in the annals of Altrincham FC, without whose pivotal intervention (alongside his friend and business partner the late Peter Swales) back in 1961 this club would probably not even exist.

His extensive accomplishments and professional demeanour as this club's esteemed chairman continue to dwarf those of all of his successors in that particular role.

In my encounters with him over the years, I always found him to be a gentleman, whether it was being invited to meet him in the hallowed confines of the Moss Lane boardroom to chat about the contents of a letter that my friend and I had written to him as Alty-mad 15-year-olds way back in 1979 or having the pleasure of talking with him many years later at his home in Bowdon.      

My sincere condolences to his widow, daughter, other relatives and friends.

Here's a photograph of him flanked by fellow Altrincham FC luminaries Freddie Pye and Peter Swales that was taken in November 1965:

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 08:24:54 PM »

It would be impossible to overstress what Noel and Peter Swales did for this club. As Cult says, without them we wouldn't be here.

I, too, was privileged to get a "one-on-one" with Noel when I was fed up about a perceived problem on the pitch. It wasn't - and we discussed it calmly and rationally, and shook hands on it. I can't see him ever being any other way, and his firm and fair attitude was a big factor in his going on into the higher echelons of the game where he was so respected.

In recent years, I had Noel as a passenger in my cab. Always a gentleman, always a pleasure to talk with. A sad loss. RIP Noel.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »

I can't add any more to what has already been said here, except that my condolences go to his family and the many friends  he will have made over the decades.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 09:00:15 PM »

I never had the privilege of meeting Noel White in person, but, as Cult said, I am all too aware that without his (and Peter Swales') intervention, the club might well not exist, and certainly would not have had the great days which I experienced in my youth. After his time  as chairman with us, he operated at the very highest level of the domestic and international game, which shows how widely respected he was throughout football.

RIP Noel and my thoughts are with his family and  friends.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »

Our greatest ever clubman bar none.

He sets the bar unfeaibly high for those of us who come after..  A role model. A great man.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 09:22:34 PM »

Did Noel gain the positions he did with Liverpool and England off the back of his success or experience with us?
It's all my fault.

andrewflynn

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 09:34:18 PM »

I can only imagine how good it must have been to watch the club be dragged from death's door to safety, and then on to the great heights that we achieved. Our great club could and should be a platform for new visionaries to propel themselves forward in football, once again. RIP Noel White and thank you.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 10:04:13 PM »

Thanks Brian,always called Noel 'Uncle Noel' as he was the uncle of one of my mates,Big BIg Shock this new is.Rip Noel and regards to all Noels family.

Hi Harold I expect that the mate you refer to is one Nigel Tomlinson?
I did on a few  occasions go to Noel's house with Nigel and Noel's son used to join us to play out together.

I had the privilege of being Altys first ever mascot about 1963 and I remember Noel as being a very nice guy who made me feel welcome at the club.

I totally agree with other forumites who say that Noel (along with Pete Swales) dragged the club back off its knees.

Very sad to hear of Noel's passing.
Condolences to his family and friends

May you Rest in Peace Sir...

Ray Sant..

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 10:08:12 PM »

RIP Noel White.
Come on Alty!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 11:20:18 PM »

Very sad news. The man who was the chief Architect of the club's success and rise to the top of the non league tree through the 70s and into the 80s. Held in the highest regard throughout football. RIP Noel White.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 01:27:09 AM »

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 06:51:02 AM »

Hi Ray, you are correct i was referring to Nigel Tomlinson.Though i lost contact with him about 40 years ago.i think the last time i spoke with him was when Alty played at Weymouth in a league game somewhere around the 1980s.
Hashtag. after Pete Swales left to become Chairman of City Noel stayed at Alty for a few years,then moved to Liverpool as a director then chairman if my memory is still functioning correctly
Harold
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Noel White | R.I.P.