PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Noel White | R.I.P.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Noel White | R.I.P.  (Read 8160 times)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Noel White | R.I.P.
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 08:18:08 AM »

In my view Noel White should have one of our stands or terraces named after him. The man was a phenomenal chairman and being invited to join the board at Liverpool off the back of what he did at Alty speaks volumes. RIP Mr White.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »

Perhaps we could re-ignite the plans for the museum in the Noel White Suite in honour of that period.
It's all my fault.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 09:56:59 AM »

In my view Noel White should have one of our stands or terraces named after him. The man was a phenomenal chairman and being invited to join the board at Liverpool off the back of what he did at Alty speaks volumes. RIP Mr White.

Good call fella

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »

Just got off the phone with GR.he told me George Smith has also Died.
Harold

old alty fan

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 11:08:54 AM »

Great idea for a stand or terrace to be named in honour of Mr White
Or a Statue near the ground or in the town centre like Frank Sidebottom in
In Timperley Village

RIP Boss.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »

My condolences go to Noel's family, plus my grateful thanks for putting our team where they are today.

I do remember my visit to his shop in Altrincham with my elder brother around 1964/5 I think, and hearing the latest Beatles single in one of the listening booths. I can still see the blue wall with the tiny little holes in it where you could hear the latest singles. We eventually walked out with the Rockin' Berries 'Poor man's son' if memory serves me correctly.

Great Chairman, and superb businessman. Loved visiting his shop, especially as I am now a music buff.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 01:34:01 PM »

Bloody hell not more sad news. Good keeper was George...  RIP George.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 02:00:13 PM »

Bloody hell not more sad news. Good keeper was George...  RIP George.

See John Laidlar's site.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »

RIP George.  He was at Moss Lane as recently as the Brackley game but had to leave early as he wasn’t feeling well.  Don Cooke accompanied him to the game.

tmcav

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 02:22:51 PM »

Very sad news, he was a great chairman and a great man. RIP Noel.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 07:25:12 PM »

Here's Noel White's obituary in The Daily Telegraph (I don't know the identity of the author of this article but they have made an error in that Noel's son Ian sadly predeceased him in 2017):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2019/07/09/noel-white-businessman-became-chairman-liverpool-fc-helped-introduce/

Noel White, businessman who became chairman of Liverpool FC and helped introduce the Premier League – obituary

The Daily Telegraph: 9th July 2019 • 6:00am

Noel White, who has died aged 89, was chairman of Liverpool FC, a founding father of the Premier League and a long-serving FA committee man.

A promising player in his youth, White joined the Liverpool board in 1986 on the strength of his achievements at Altrincham FC, which he led from near-bankruptcy to success in the non-league strata of English football.

He followed the long-serving Sir John Smith as Liverpool’s chairman in 1990 but stepped aside the following year in favour of David Moores, the club’s largest shareholder and an heir to the Littlewoods pools fortune.

During his brief tenure, however, White was one of the five directors of top clubs (the others being David Dein of Arsenal, Martin Edwards of Manchester United, Irving Scholar of Spurs and Philip Carter of Everton) who dined with Greg Dyke of London Weekend Television to plan a breakaway from the existing Football League.

That meeting led to the foundation in July 1991 of the Premier League – and radically changed the future of the game.

Noel White was born at Altrincham on December 16 1929, the son of Arthur White, a waterman, and his wife Ruth. Educated locally, Noel did National Service at the Royal Army Medical Corps depot in Hampshire, where he played centre-half alongside the future Sunderland manager, Bob Stokoe, for the Corp’s football team, which won the Army Cup in 1949.

Demobbed the following year, he signed amateur forms for Chester City FC but declined an offer of £6 a week to turn professional, preferring to train as an accountant.

In 1955 he formed a partnership with Peter Swales selling sheet music, records and musical instruments, and later television sets, in a business that grew to be a chain of 15 local shops and was eventually sold for £350,000. White went on to own the Bowdon Hotel in Altrincham while the pair acquired control of Altrincham FC – where White was chairman and later president, and which became a founder-member of the Northern Premier League and twice winner of the FA Trophy.

Swales was later chairman of Manchester City. He and White rose side by side through the hierarchy of the Football Association, White having been elected to the FA council representing Cheshire and Merseyside in 1976 and to its international committee in 1982. He followed Swales as chairman of the latter in 1994, serving until 2008, and was also a vice-chairman of the Uefa national team committee.

Kenny Dalglish, who was Liverpool’s manager from 1985 to 1991, commended White for the compassion he showed in the aftermath of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, leading the club’s involvement in the funerals of many of the 96 fans who died. But White’s 21-year tenure on the Liverpool board ended badly in 2006 when he resigned after admitting to an anonymous interview in the Daily Mirror criticising the then manager, Rafael Benitez.

The remarks that caused offence followed a 2-0 Premiership defeat by Manchester United and included the charge: “We have paid too many inflated prices and wages for players who are not doing the job … When the manager decides they are not doing the job, we cannot get rid of them because nobody wants them for the sort of money we want back.”

White and his cohort of grey-suited veterans who held sway at the FA were often criticised for “amateurism” in their administration of a sport that became fiercely commercial in the modern era – as well as for failing to appoint successful England team managers. But White was honoured as a life vice-president of the FA in 2002 and was awarded the BEM in 2013.

Noel White married Jean Taberner in 1952; she survives him with their son and daughter.

Noel White, born December 16 1929, died June 30 2019

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2019, 08:21:21 PM »

Splendid funeral service in Bowdon this afternoon for Noel White, including excellent eulogies delivered by Mark Harris and David Dein respectively.

Some well-known faces amongst the gathering such as Sir Bobby Charlton, David Gill, Gordon Taylor, Dennis Tueart and Peter Coates.

Plus plenty of members of the Alty 'family', including Tony Sanders, John King, John Rogers, Graham Heathcote, Gerry Berman, Andrew Shaw, Bill Waterson, Ernie Fryer, Dave Baldwin and the one and only George Heslop.

If you have Altrincham FC in your blood, then pour yourself a measure of red wine this evening and raise your glass in memory of our greatest ever chairman.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2019, 08:49:32 PM »

If you have Altrincham FC in your blood, then pour yourself a measure of red wine this evening and raise your glass in memory of our greatest ever chairman.

Yes Barry, I have done that - it’s very dangerous to post after alcoholic intake so I will limit my observations to concur with you. I’ve just re-read my letter to Noel in 2011 after the sad death of Roy Rees, and Noel’s kind reply. I’m so glad I told him how much he meant to me.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Noel White | R.I.P.