PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Atherton Collieries match thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Atherton Collieries match thread  (Read 12214 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Atherton Collieries match thread
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »

Was the mixup solely the doing of Thompson, or was Jones culpable too?

I do feel that the latter has lapses in concentration too from time to time you know. I'd feel much more comfortable with Hannigan and Harrison together at the back.

It wasn't just the mix-up. He flapped at the ball on three or four occasions.

Tough decisions have to be made in football and he has been given more than enough games/seasons.

Is there any fan who is 90%, nevermind 100% sure he is our best choice?

I can't fault his passion but his kicking is awful, decision making even worst, poor at coming for crosses, struggles to get down for low shots. He is OK at close blocks, which is basically when he throws his whole body at someone shooting 6 yards out.

I feel we always put plasters on Thompson.He has a few OK/stable games in which you expect a keeper at this level to produce and we think all is OK.

I am 100% certain he is not long term and is often protected by a decent defence. The defenders don't trust him, you can see that.

I am being harsh but surely enough is enough. A decent keeper is vital. I have no doubt Stockport's and Chorley's  keeper gained both those teams 10 plus points.

Every time it goes back to Thompson most fans hold their breath. Shouldn't be the case at this level.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »

Was the mixup solely the doing of Thompson, or was Jones culpable too?

I do feel that the latter has lapses in concentration too from time to time you know. I'd feel much more comfortable with Hannigan and Harrison together at the back.

It wasn't just the mix-up. He flapped at the ball on three or four occasions.

Tough decisions have to be made in football and he has been given more than enough games/seasons.

Is there any fan who is 90%, nevermind 100% sure he is our best choice?

I can't fault his passion but his kicking is awful, decision making even worst, poor at coming for crosses, struggles to get down for low shots. He is OK at close blocks, which is basically when he throws his whole body at someone shooting 6 yards out.

I feel we always put plasters on Thompson.He has a few OK/stable games in which you expect a keeper at this level to produce and we think all is OK.

I am 100% certain he is not long term and is often protected by a decent defence. The defenders don't trust him, you can see that.

I am being harsh but surely enough is enough. A decent keeper is vital. I have no doubt Stockport's and Chorley's  keeper gained both those teams 10 plus points.

Every time it goes back to Thompson most fans hold their breath. Shouldn't be the case at this level.

Spot on. We need to be ruthless and that's the glaringly obvious weakness at the moment.

There must still be decent goalkeepers on the market, and I'd rather we get it right now (I distinctly remember we got Jordan quite late when his Salford situation changed).

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 10:40:00 AM »

TT has stayed on the back end of last season's form which was very good hes possibly on contract

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 11:36:15 AM »

A minor point of interest: Atherton's former Preston North End and St Johnstone defender Clive Smith is Timperley based.

Probably also the youngest person called Clive smith in the world

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 11:59:12 AM »

TT has stayed on the back end of last season's form which was very good hes possibly on contract

Was it very good or the standard we should expect? A keeper needs a and should be consistent for 90% of games.

Just can't see him improving, he's not got the right physical build for being a keeper.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 12:01:08 PM by oneedham »

andrewflynn

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 01:55:13 PM »

A minor point of interest: Atherton's former Preston North End and St Johnstone defender Clive Smith is Timperley based.

I believe he went to Wellington Rd.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 02:53:50 PM »

Thompson's form improved dramatically when we signed Drench. It's tailed  off again now that he doesn't have a challenger for the jersey in the short term. I honestly believe he gets complacent, and that it affects his game.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »

Thompson was involved in multiple mix ups last night, not just the one. I love PP's loyalty and I believe that's why the players love him so much, but if we are serious about going up, the keeper needs to change. It is harsh and like so many, I've hoped he'll come good but he's a constant liability I'm afraid.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »

I believe that he is 1 of 6 children & all 6 have a christian name beginning with 'C'.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »

I believe that he is 1 of 6 children & all 6 have a christian name beginning with 'C'.
Do all six have a surname beginning with ‘s’?

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 08:35:41 PM »

When I worked briefly for the Inland Revenue ((1967-8) I dealt with Manchester Education Committee's non-teaching staff. One woman named O'Connor had 5 children. None of their surnames began with O - nor indeed did any of them start with the same letter !

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 07:25:04 AM »

When I worked briefly for the Inland Revenue ((1967-8) I dealt with Manchester Education Committee's non-teaching staff. One woman named O'Connor had 5 children. None of their surnames began with O - nor indeed did any of them start with the same letter !
Didn’t quite mean it that way, just that initials would all be CS

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 08:19:41 AM »

I believe the following footballers went to Welly Road,Frank Carrodus, Danny Higgibbotham,Kieran Westwood ,Danny Adam's plus  a faiir few semi pro players.

andrewflynn

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 10:53:13 AM »

I believe the following footballers went to Welly Road,Frank Carrodus, Danny Higgibbotham,Kieran Westwood ,Danny Adam's plus  a faiir few semi pro players.

Oliver Turton (Blackpool) and George Edmundson (Rangers) more recently.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 12:32:05 PM »

Oliver Turton (Blackpool) and George Edmundson (Rangers) more recently.

Presume they are both local?Also Oliver Byrne ex Cardiff ?Produced more than the other schools bar ashton on.mersey
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Atherton Collieries match thread