PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fylde : Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fylde : Match Thread  (Read 7354 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Fylde : Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 05:33:54 PM »

Wow, that was an awesome performance, shame about the crowd of 382.

Seriously, how do you pick a man of the match out of that. Thought Williams, Arnold, Hannigan were all superb today but the whole team did their bit and made Fylde look average. Some of Drench's saves were superb, including an overhead kick on the goal line? His ball distribution was superb. JJ was beaten by the weather conditions in the second half but had a good first half. Bit worried about the left side of the pitch at the Golf Road end again, much standing water. TT came on late 2nd half and made a couple of good saves.

Like to see what happens with Matt Chadwick and Lewis Walters now, both worth a punt but don't think Matt came on today. Use all subs as starters on Tuesday and we will be good to go.

Well done for today, great afternoon's football.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »

Willo also scored two great free kicks today, Fylde did not set their wall properly from the central position in the D where we took it. They were too far to the right of the free kick. Willo saw it and played a great shot to the inside of the left hand post. I saw the space when he did, and almost knew instinctively he would put it there. I had a good view from the Golf Road end as I wanted to watch the defence. They were good to watch. Willo's second was good too, in off the post as Fylde got their positioning wrong again.

Nathan's goal for our first was a superb finish from a JJ feed to the right of the goal, and across the keeper. When you see this you understand why PP signed him, really looking forward to this season now!! 

Bath Alty

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 05:44:56 PM »

Thanks for the answers - let's hope Max is fit soon.

I'd give Peers a go at 10 on Tuesday as we might need a new option there - Hancock suspended, Poole gone, Max possibly injured, Williams required in CM if Moult and Richman are injured too

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 06:20:40 PM »

We did ride our luck at times, but take nothing away from that performance against a very strong and highly-fancied full time team from the league above. Every player was brilliant and gave everything, but I feel so much more comfortable watching Alty defend a lead with Steve Drench and Connor Branston in the team. It was only a pre-season friendly, but we were good - very good in fact.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 06:49:41 PM »

Agree with most of what's been said. Branson was much better today in a more advanced position.

Mullarkey showed in just a few minutes why we've signed him - absolute quality. Calm and steady, always has time to use the ball. I'd like to see us try a back three of Jones, Hannigan and Mullarkey on Tuesday night for at least part of the game, particular with Hampson potentially injured, and White not at his best today.

It's great to have options!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 06:55:17 PM »

Those three at the back, now that would be interesting. Gives us another option. You should stand at the Golf Road end when we are defending at that end.

Joy to watch today in the first half, some great tackles today, and saves from Drench who was awesome

Bath Alty

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2019, 07:00:21 PM »

What does the rest of the back 3 formation look like?

Not sure I'd want to pull Arnold and JJ into wing back roles and if we don't do that how do you blend 3 at the back with having out and out wingers?

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »

Completely agree re. Mullarky. He's such a good footballer that you could see him being able to play absolutely anywhere. I can't see us playing 3 centre backs though. It's a great 'problem' for the manager to have.

Old Alt

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2019, 09:28:44 PM »

A great watch today, and after watching the Blackpool game and this game you should be really excited about this season.
In particular the midfield, last season with Jake (and others) playing deep we left big spaces in midfield and let other teams come at us.
Today was completely different, we flooded the midlfield Simon with his energy, man of the match performance by Sean and Connor lying slightly deeper knocking the ball around, giving us exactly what we were missing from last season.
It was interesting how long PP played this formation, he is abviously thinking about this for the start of the season, and  the formation looked like the outcome of a well thought through pre-season.
Hopefully Simon is OK after he went off, I saw him walking around after the game.
Would have liked to have seen Chadwick get some time, especially after it proved difficult for JJ today, and also agree with the comments about Mullarky, he looks class.
Fylde were very cynical, shirt pulling, late challenges and deliberate fouls, but I guess this is what you will come up against if you go higher.
I think the best teams have the strongest subs bench, and for me that is us now, some decisions about Walters and Chadwick will be interesting but it is really coming together.
I really hope this season we have a decent cup run somewhere, that is what we need to get attendances up.

Bath Alty

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2019, 09:50:07 PM »

So we played a 4-1-4-1 type formation today?

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 02:16:52 PM »

Interesting to discover today that we played what was likely to be AFC Fylde's starting 11 next week !
Maybe not now :D

arnald

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 03:31:28 PM »

It was a decent game that if its anything
To go by crewe will go up and fyled are doomed

andrewflynn

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 09:02:41 PM »

We had to make a fair few goalmouth clearances and as Willo says in his Alty TV interview, we rode our luck at times, but we were solid overall and edged the game. Really promising stuff and we've made a stride forward in each game since the Crewe defeat. Up the Alty.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »

I have just seen the first free kick again by Willo during his interview after the game. I said the wall was not correctly positioned. They were too far to the left of goal. This was punished when the defender on the left of their wall facing us, sticks his right leg out and still doesn't get anywhere near the ball. The other three players were ineffective, as they should have moved the wall further left.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fylde : Match Thread