News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Graham Barrow interview in the Non League Paper

Author Topic: Graham Barrow interview in the Non League Paper  (Read 1613 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 18, 2019, 06:27:43 PM »

Today's issue of the NLP includes a special eight-page supplement to celebrate 40 years of the National League which contains an interview with the former Alty player and assistant manager Graham Barrow.

He discusses his transfer to Moss Lane from Southport in October 1979 and how challenging it was to establish himself as a regular in midfield in such a formidable team.

Of his subsequent move into the Football League with Wigan Athletic in the summer of 1981 and the sacrifices that it entailed, he writes:

"I was on reasonable money at Altrincham while working as a heating engineer as well. The offer from Wigan and full-time meant I had to take a drop in income. I told my wife about it and she said it was something I'd always wanted to do, give it a go and if it doesn't work out then go back to it."

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team