PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport match thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Southport match thread  (Read 12913 times)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Southport match thread
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 10:58:59 PM »

That first half was embarrassing. Never seen so many terrible passes. White looked as if he had never played football before and he was dog turd again. Neither full back are playing well this season. Surely Dens should be given a few games over White. His pass completion must have been about 20%. Awful.

PP got the team selection very wrong and allowed them to play their terrible long balls and throwings into the box. Should have started with the same team as on Saturday.

We are a different team with Hancock and Ceesay on the pitch. Those two must start every game.

People may have groaned about JJ going off but Hemmings has that extra quality and much better at crossing.

We need Hannigan back. Jones and Mullarkey were bullied first half.

Still missing that quality centre mid.

On a plus side Thompson played well and had to.

Can we have the purple kit back as we can't compete passes in the grey.

Got to agree first half was shocking. We were very lucky not to be five down. Second half was better but we do we have to fight back so often?

andrewflynn

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 11:07:38 PM »

Tony Thompson stopped that from being an incredibly embarrassing evening. All I can be arsed to post at the moment.

old alty fan

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 11:14:46 PM »

May sound a bit harsh this post however that was a shambles
Hard to think most of this team almost got us to a play of final some of them need a long hard think and decide if they are worthy
To wear the Alty shirt.
First half we could not string a pass together without losing possession.There first goal should have been disallowed for a blatant push even the
Southport players looked shocked it was given,the second goal well not alot you can do about them great strike from there number 7
Second half was slightly better let's be honest could not of been worse cesay should be starting all the time for me he caused them endless
Problems when he came on.
The referee should of sent himself of he was awfull,a game that should has seen Southport reduced to 9 men.
I am getting a bit concerned now Southport were nothing special.
MOM Tony Thompson some great saves that stopped a total humiliation.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 11:18:26 PM »

Oh dear. First half we were shocking, penned back, physically bullied and passing very poor. Granted Southports second just before HT was an absolute cracker and no GK was saving that, cleanly struck on the half volley from the edge of the box into the roof of the net. Worth mentioning TT who under difficult conditions had an excellent game in goal I thought.

Second half we gave it a real go & Hulmes header a beauty-he’s clearly back in the groove at least. Overall though Southport winning 2-1 was a fair reflection as if you only turn up for 45 mins in this league you’ll get beat. Why Ceesay did not start I have no idea, he drew 2 Port men to the ball every time he went on a run and could have been the physical presence we needed.

A word for Southport, awful to watch but effective and will be hard to beat at Haig Avenue I suspect, they did a number on us tonight but having seen us twice now this season-home vs York and tonight-we look bang average to be sadly honest.

decman7

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2019, 11:22:39 PM »

Regarding the kit, thats what happens when the club just allow the supplier to do whatever he pleases. But hardly the most pressing issue.

I hope the incredibly poor ref doesn't get in the way of us being sh*te yet again.

They were rubbish and still miles better than us. Didn't turn up until Ceesy came on. He looked good, and gave us a bit more zip.

The worrying thing tonight was, I don't think they even pressed us that well. We were just a shambles of a side. Poor old Jordan worked his socks off and didn't really get a touch. We're not even getting done by good sides, we just look rubbish.

Frank and maybe a bit harsh, but we can't have a season like we did last year and end up 11th this year. Phil's put a high price on us and now needs to earn his keep sorting us out.  

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 11:32:50 PM »

I heard that Ceesay arrived late, hence wasn't in the warm-up, and couldn't start. Unconfirmed though.

Our formation was wrong, and Jake Moult clearly isn't ready to just step back into the team. The first half was every bit as bad as the Boston debacle, and Thompson did well to keep it down to two.

Hulme was persistently fouled throughout, but the useless referee let most of it go.

We improved when Ceesay and Hancock came on, and could have sneaked a point if we'd kept 11 men on the pitch. In the end, we deserved what we got, and all the excuses in the world can't disguise that.

The saddest thing for me tonight was JJ, who, together with White, had an absolute stinker.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 12:19:26 AM »

First half....just battered by Liam Watson's completely predictable tactics....out-muscled and won not one 50/50 ball....very poor and so frustrating to watch when you know we can do so much better.

Much better second half but damage done and once again our poor disciplinary record prevents a comeback.....granted - how they finished with 11 men beggars belief - but we have to factor in completely useless referees such as the clown we had tonight and make sure we salvage something from these games
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 01:59:42 AM »

That first half was embarrassing. Never seen so many terrible passes. White looked as if he had never played football before and he was dog turd again. Neither full back are playing well this season. Surely Dens should be given a few games over White. His pass completion must have been about 20%. Awful.

PP got the team selection very wrong and allowed them to play their terrible long balls and throwings into the box. Should have started with the same team as on Saturday.

We are a different team with Hancock and Ceesay on the pitch. Those two must start every game.

People may have groaned about JJ going off but Hemmings has that extra quality and much better at crossing.

That's a pretty accurate synopsis of a very dispiriting performance.

We were utterly abject in that first half, sitting far too deep and simply inviting Southport on to attack us. Moult was virtually an auxiliary central defender. So many misplaced passes and possession being conceded much too easily.

We looked extremely vulnerable from every Southport long throw and corner. And yes, White truly had an evening that he will want to forget in a hurry.

Williams was correctly withdrawn at half-time and things did at least pick up with the introduction of Hancock and the subsequent arrival of Ceesay.

No complaints regarding Richman's dismissal, however I'm still not quite sure how their substitute Zehn Mohammed (No. 15) contrived to escape receiving a red card after two bad challenges in the space of a few minutes.

Nine points from nine league games represents an underwhelming return. Thank goodness that nobody is filming a documentary about us so far this season...

I would also add that someone needs to have a few quiet words of wisdom with one of our directors, whose embarrassing behaviour after the final whistle in leaning over the main stand tunnel and bellowing invective at the referee constituted an unedifying coda that was not befitting of a club official.  

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 07:51:27 AM »

Wasn't there last night so can can't comment on specifics, but there's no doubt that Jones is better with Hannigan next to him (Malarkey would be better with Hannigan next to him).

We will be more of a threat with Ceesay on the pitch but if he's arrived late then he can't start.

Is that 3 red cards in 9 nine games? For a team that's not overly physical that is bad.
Full time and proud of it

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 08:13:06 AM »

Right back and midfielder needed? probably a keeper also as back up at least
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 08:23:32 AM by Timperley The Best »

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 08:21:32 AM »

Last night was as everyone said really disappointing and frustrating. Why change a winning lineup, if it was as I have read because Ceesay arrived late then he cost us dear. I agree with everything Oliie says.

Thought Thommo was excellent in goal, he kept us in the game. Their second a dipping half volley was excellent, however there was a foul just before it and Jake gave the ball away. So shouldn't have happened in that passage of play.

No consistency and we looked leggy, they were far fitter/quicker to the ball than us as you would expect of fulltime v part time. last season it wasn't apparent though. So whats changed?

Thomas H

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 09:55:32 AM »

Dreadful first half, 2nd was slightly better when Hancock and Ceesay came on.
We were beating the likes of Southport, Chester. Brackley away last year, clearly they have strengthened where we haven’t, our close season work has been dreadful, hopefully we gain enough points at home to climb the table, more loaners look inevitable.
I agree with the comments regarding the embarrassing scene at the end, the officials were poor but just bite the lip.
Leamington next and 3 points are a must or it will be difficult to gain any momentum up the table, yes it’s early but in my opinion we look mid table or lower.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 10:28:23 AM »

That's a pretty accurate synopsis of a very dispiriting performance.

We were utterly abject in that first half, sitting far too deep and simply inviting Southport on to attack us. Moult was virtually an auxiliary central defender. So many misplaced passes and possession being conceded much too easily.

We looked extremely vulnerable from every Southport long throw and corner. And yes, White truly had an evening that he will want to forget in a hurry.

Williams was correctly withdrawn at half-time and things did at least pick up with the introduction of Hancock and the subsequent arrival of Ceesay.

No complaints regarding Richman's dismissal, however I'm still not quite sure how their substitute Zehn Mohammed (No. 15) contrived to escape receiving a red card after two bad challenges in the space of a few minutes.

Nine points from nine league games represents an underwhelming return. Thank goodness that nobody is filming a documentary about us so far this season...

I would also add that someone needs to have a few quiet words of wisdom with one of our directors, whose embarrassing behaviour after the final whistle in leaning over the main stand tunnel and bellowing invective at the referee constituted an unedifying coda that was not befitting of a club official.  

We only had 9pts after 9 games last season. The 9th game was a disappointing home defeat against Curzon.
They really should be beating teams like us

shelmers

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 06:12:29 PM »

That was the worst first half of football ive seen from an Alty side since i started watching 17 years ago. Absolute shambles. We really need to bring in 3/4 quality players and replace the average players within the squad. Hannigan may make some rash decisions but he is by far our best centre back. Our team is no better from last season and it appears others have strengthened. If we dont bring in the reinforcements required then we are a mid table team at best this season. This current squad will not get playoffs i am sure of that. Hancock has to start every game he is the only player who looks like creating anything. We seriously lack quality from back to front.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 06:56:31 PM »

A quality centre mid who can cover box to box.

I think we need fullbacks. I rate Hamspon but he has lost pace.

Ceesay and Hancock will make a huge difference. A fit Moult will also make a difference but he is quite a few games off match fitness. I would start him on Saturday at home.

At the moment I would start Hemmings over JJ.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport match thread